Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > Canada

Old 10-27-2010, 10:40 AM   #57
Heliwrench

Drives: 2010 Black 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by OUR72GTO View Post
Would you only see snow " maybe once" at Grants Pass if we took the coast route VS seeing
" possible snow " every day on the 93 or 95?
We like living life on the edge.
Suspension: BMR Trailing Arms and Bushings, FE6 Swaybar Conversion With Pedders 27mm Front and 32mm Rear ZL1 Swaybars and Links
Chassis: Hotchkis Chassis Max Brace, BMR Pro Cradle Bushings
Exterior:: Shine by Adam's.
...and plenty more
Heliwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 11:00 AM   #58
Merc
In The Circle

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS IOM M6
Quote:
Make sure that cruise includes the Alt 89 from Flagstaff! The best road I have ever been on for a sports car.

Now just a question from someone who has driven the High Desert to Canada.? Would you only see snow " maybe once" at Grants Pass if we took the coast route VS seeing
" possible snow " every day on the 93 or 95?

Does GPS show a shorter "time" using I-5 rather then the higher elevations in spring?

Just asking???
The route we plan on using is the shortest and quickest way to get to Vegas. We us that route all the time to move our racing operation south.
Merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 11:03 AM   #59
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Merc, I just got back into town... I'll give ya a call in a day or so.

GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 12:05 PM   #60
Merc
In The Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTAHVIT View Post
Merc, I just got back into town... I'll give ya a call in a day or so.

PM sent.
Old 10-27-2010, 08:51 PM   #61
OUR72GTO
2010 SIM Beige RS 6M

Drives: SIM RS 6M 66 Corvair Silverado LTZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercuryman96 View Post
The route we plan on using is the shortest and quickest way to get to Vegas. We us that route all the time to move our racing operation south.
That may be so with a truck BUT........... not quick if you hit snow with the 20 inch tires in the High Dessert. Look at those elevations in early April.

What is the hours comparison when you can do higher speeds on the Interstate then cut across farther south?
Old 10-27-2010, 10:05 PM   #62
Merc
In The Circle

Quote:
That may be so with a truck BUT........... not quick if you hit snow with the 20 inch tires in the High Dessert. Look at those elevations in early April.

What is the hours comparison when you can do higher speeds on the Interstate then cut across farther south?
Maybe so. But that's the route were planning on taking. I 5 you have the Grants Pass and the Sisku's.
Old 10-28-2010, 12:42 AM   #63
OUR72GTO
2010 SIM Beige RS 6M

And in the mountains there will still be all the rocks and sand from the winter sanding...and some of it still happening.

Not sure I want to follow anyone in THOSE condtions and it would really piss me off if the rock chips were put there by a CAMARO.

So your saying even IF the I-5 is faster or does less damage this plan is cast in cement?
Old 10-28-2010, 01:28 AM   #64
Merc
In The Circle

Quote:
And in the mountains there will still be all the rocks and sand from the winter sanding...and some of it still happening.

Not sure I want to follow anyone in THOSE condtions and it would really piss me off if the rock chips were put there by a CAMARO.

So your saying even IF the I-5 is faster or does less damage this plan is cast in cement?
Perposed route 1610 miles. I-5 route 1764 miles. Speed limits are higher especially through Nevada 75mph. I-5 crawling with cops and radar. There is a product called Road Wrap. Google it $29 a roll. That's what some of us our plannng on using.
Old 10-28-2010, 10:48 AM   #65
Heliwrench

Drives: 2010 Black 1SS
I like less chance of snow... but I also like driving less...
Suspension: BMR Trailing Arms and Bushings, FE6 Swaybar Conversion With Pedders 27mm Front and 32mm Rear ZL1 Swaybars and Links
Chassis: Hotchkis Chassis Max Brace, BMR Pro Cradle Bushings
Exterior:: Shine by Adam's.
...and plenty more
Heliwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 12:03 PM   #66
OUR72GTO
2010 SIM Beige RS 6M

Well I did not appreciate the PM I got last night from someone who tells me HE is " in charge " and wants no further " public " discussion about this.

Just a little background....

From 74 to 84 I was an active member of the CCCC ( Canadian Council of Corvette Clubs) and as such travelled extensivly with MANY other owners to events in convoy style (we even had CB radio's... LOL ) all over the West, the US and as far as Manitoba.

On one trip we had a "non member" suddenly join us and with great enthusiasm bring up the rear. Unfortunately for me his inexperience caused him to rear end my 66 Stingray.

From 1985 to current I have been a member of VCCC ( Vintage Car Club of Canada ) We currently have 1275 members in BC. We help organize cross Canada tours and other "tour" events on a regular basis. And yes ...I have driven non stop from Palm Springs to Kamloops in 18.5 hours.

I live on the right side ( looking from the south) of the Coast Mountains in what is called the Interior Plateau. That means we live on this side of the mountains that get the snow.
This is the same formation that extends down to Las Vegas.

We have driven the Coquahalla regularly since 1986. It's highest elevation is about 4100 ft. April can bring some of the worst road conditions we see up here. It is a 4 lane freeway. It can be shut down in April.

The High Desert route to Vegas is exactly that....high. Some of the highways pass thru ranges that are between 9,000 and 11,000 feet. Most of it is 2 lane. ( Much like Highway 97.) It is cold and windy up there in April and just about every other month too.

I have been towing an RV alot on I-5 lately and find the traffic moving at about 72 to 75 MPH with the cops focused on those doing 85 to 90. I do 75MPH with a 27 ft trailer in the far right lane. And NO tickets since 1986.

IF there are an extra 150 miles on the coast route that is only 2 hours driving. Grants pass will be open...there is a real possibility of snow delay or detour in the mountains.

Given the concerns I see on here every day about paint damage and windshields to these cars I would think a route with less rocks would be more fun. I see the best video of these cars in convoy when there is 4 or more lanes.

All I asked was IF another route was considered.?? I have been now told it is not up for discussion. The winter forcast for this year is " poor".

BTW .............. I thought TRAN was the only one to consider this forum " PRIVATE "

Last edited by OUR72GTO; 10-28-2010 at 12:51 PM.
OUR72GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 03:35 PM   #67
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Not sure how this thread got sideways but....

Bottom line.

these convoys are optional. The coordinators are doing this in accordance with what makes sense to them.

If there is another route that makes more sense then feel free to start another thread and work your own convoy route there.

But this thread and the people who choose to be a part of this convoy are set in their route. I don't see a need to argue what's best or isn't.

we call it a Fest for a reason maybe it's a little cheesy but we like the idea of a social event more than a "convention" or show.

Get there how ever you want but we want this event to be about the gathering of off their rocker Camaro gear heads.

Maybe we should just agree to disagree on how to get there and have a beer at the fest.

Old 10-28-2010, 04:02 PM   #68
Merc
In The Circle

After talking with El Diablo, were thinking first night sleep will be in Twin Falls and second night will be Flagstaff.
Old 10-28-2010, 07:24 PM   #69
OUR72GTO
2010 SIM Beige RS 6M

Well I would never expect someone from Florida to realize there may still be frost in the ground in April. The pot holes UP THERE can swallow a hole front end.

The thread did not go sideways BUT your car can if you hit that pothole at 75 MPH....
Old 10-28-2010, 08:11 PM   #70
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Quote:
Well I would never expect someone from Florida to realize there may still be frost in the ground in April. The pot holes UP THERE can swallow a hole front end.

The thread did not go sideways BUT your car can if you hit that pothole at 75 MPH....
I'm not from FL I'm from AZ Spent A LOT of time in Northern AZ throughout my life. Also my wife is from northern AZ so we certainly know the area well.

Like I said, If you'd like to run a different route then start another thread.

Either way lets agree to disagree and let this thread run it's course. Please.

haha get it "course"...

ah hem.. sorry bad joke...