Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Dragstrip and Launch Techniques Discussion

Old 05-17-2011, 06:48 PM   #141
67 GTO
13.453 @ 101.90

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT Rally Yellow
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloMoCamaro View Post
I congratulate you on getting your V6 into the 11's, but dude, you're not only putting your self at risk, but the track and even worse, the spectators. Those "doughnut tires" are not made to take the abuse of the drag strip. It's not only the speed rating you have to worry about, but the hard breaking you have to do at the end of the track. All I got to say is, your one lucky dude and you skated buy on that one... Please, make the investment in some skinny's - I would hate to read the next headline saying you hit the wall and/or injured some spectator due to a blown tire... I wish you good luck and keep up the great (safe) racing...
The spectators are so far away at Atco only an airborne vehicle going backwards would be a hazard.

You should see some of the crap crates that run there, makes HDRS's great run look like a TV commercial on a closed course with a pro driver.

GMPP exhaust/JBA shorties/Vararam CAI/VMax TB/SLP Pulley/VMax IM isolator/MACE Ported IM +Plenum Spacer/IPF Tuned
67 GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 06:54 PM   #142
coolman

I'm surprised he would be allowed to run with those tires. Not at the track I go to. Good run either way. How do these motors hold up to spray?
coolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 06:55 PM   #143
rtcat600man
having FUN now 13.66@101

Drives: 2010 2LT IOM
People are hung up on the safety of the spare tires but they are missing a whole lot of other items. This is copied from the NHRA safety rules. There are a few that anyone thinking of running into the 11's should consider. However, not all tracks check either. This doesn't make it right but then again it doesn't mean you are wrong.

By the time a car is capable of running between 11.00 and 11.99 seconds in the quarter-mile, safety requirements are especially important. Up until this point, factory seatbelts are acceptable, but in the 11-second-and-quicker time zone you need a quality safety harness. The minimum requirement is a 3-inch-wide, five-point harness meeting SFI spec 16.1. The 1995 National Hot Rod Association Rulebook outlines the proper way to mount the shoulder harness and belts.

An NHRA-legal rollbar is also required in the category. Recent rule changes have reconfigured what NHRA classifies as a rollbar. The classic four-point bar is no longer acceptable. The new standard is mild-steel tubing of at least .120-inch wall thickness (most chassis companies, like Art Morrison, use .134-inch wall tubing) that includes a forward-running side bar from the main hoop past the driver’s shoulder. This bar is only required on the driver’s side, but most systems include both sides for a six-point rollbar.

An SFI-approved scattershield is also necessary in this e.t. category. NHRA requires the scattershield to have an SFI aluminum-foil sticker. According to Red Roberts of McLeod Industries, older bellhousings can be certified by sending the scattershield and block plate to the original manufacturer. The company will inspect the housing and if it passes, it will receive an SFI 6-1 certification. Most SFI certifications are good for five years. Contact your manufacturer if you’re not sure.

The clutch and flywheel must also be SFI certified. The main consideration in this area is to avoid using a cast-iron flywheel. According to Roberts, sometime in the mid-’70s most of the new car companies began using nodular iron flywheels that are much safer. Most, if not all, current high-performance aluminum and steel flywheels are safe when used in conjunction with an approved scattershield, but the rules state that the pressure plate and flywheel need an SFI certification number. Roberts says the best plan is to record all your SFI numbers in a logbook. This makes it easier for the tech inspector and it shows the inspector that you understand the importance of the inspection process. This e.t. level also requires steel valve stems in all wheels, along with arm restraints for open-cockpit cars like roadsters.
Old 05-17-2011, 07:15 PM   #144
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y

Drives: FAST
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROD1 View Post
Lol, you serious? They are speed rated to 106mph and that is due to cornering. Im sure its far safer to drop yur drag radials to 10lbs. psi right?
Spare tires are NOT rated for 106 mph.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkneSS View Post
Speed ratings are for speed/time. Even if a spare is only rated at 60 MPH, going over 60 for about 10 seconds isnt going to do much.

In fact you could probably go well over the speed a spare tire is rated at for many miles before running into issue. We have all seen those idiots on the highway going 80 with a spare tire on and nothing happens.
I'm sure you could remove two lugs on each wheel and drive around all day long with no problems, but I'm not going down the track like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackinBlackSS/RS View Post
Where are you getting your information?
Any where. They put those warning on the tires for a reason.
"All temporary spare tires are designed for short-term use only; they are not designed with the same capabilities in terms of load capacity, speed capability, or all-weather traction.Always check your vehicle’s owner's manual and the temporary spare's sidewall for instructions on proper use. It is also important to recognize that controlling a vehicle may be more difficult when using a temporary spare, and temporary spare tires are usually accompanied with warnings that advise against towing a trailer, or traveling over 50 miles per hour for further than 50 miles."
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...jsp?techid=141
SUX2BU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 07:26 PM   #145
coolman

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtcat600man View Post
People are hung up on the safety of the spare tires but they are missing a whole lot of other items.
It was brought up do to being an obvious safety issues. I don't think we were hung up on it but just concerned for his safety and others. We don't know enough about the op's car to bring up all current NHRA rules he is breaking by running in the speed range. Besides this was his first run in this speed range. If his track is like mine he will now have to meet the rules for that speed before running again.

He shouldn't have been allowed to run with those tires at any speed let alone in the 11's.
coolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 07:33 PM   #146
rtcat600man
having FUN now 13.66@101

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolman View Post
It was brought up do to being an obvious safety issues. I don't think we were hung up on it but just concerned for his safety and others. We don't know enough about the op's car to bring up all current NHRA rules he is breaking by running in the speed range. Besides this was his first run in this speed range. If his track is like mine he will now have to meet the rules for that speed before running again.

He shouldn't have been allowed to run with those tires at any speed let alone in the 11's.

thanks for the update.

I think he and ROD1 are using spare tires from the Cadillac CTS. Which may have a speed rating of 106 MPH. It is not like they are using the tiny donut spares that are rated for 50 mph.

Just sayin based on what I read a while ago when Rod almost broke into the 11's last fall.

Last edited by rtcat600man; 05-18-2011 at 09:28 AM.
rtcat600man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 10:34 PM   #147
DarkneSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS 6MT
Can we talk about how this car didnt even have full bolt ons or a tune?

With not much more work he could run mid 11s.
DarkneSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 10:35 PM   #148
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkneSS View Post
Can we talk about how this car didnt even have full bolt ons or a tune?

With not much more work he could run mid 11s.
The nitrous and slicks helped...

But in all seriousness - that's an awesome run, and I'd love to see how much further he can take this!
Old 05-17-2011, 10:53 PM   #149
DarkneSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
The nitrous and slicks helped...

But in all seriousness - that's an awesome run, and I'd love to see how much further he can take this!
Lol yeah true but headers and open exhaust do wonders for nitrous.
DarkneSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 09:22 AM   #150
ROD1
Retired

Drives: 2010 Camaro RS V6 #1301 DOB 3/23/09
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUX2BU View Post
Spare tires are NOT rated for 106 mph.
Mine are...as for the rest ...lol
ROD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 09:28 AM   #151
rtcat600man
having FUN now 13.66@101

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROD1 View Post
Mine are...as for the rest ...lol

Thanks ROD1........I thought yours were.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:36 AM   #152
GQ4Life

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS LS3
I made this pic with bike to said this what I run but now I look at it it doesnt really look totally like bike tire.. haha
Name:  bike tire.jpg
Views: 611
Size:  156.1 KB
2015 Corvette Z06.. Lime Rock Park 1:01; Watkins Glen 2:14; Thompson Speedway 1:21
GQ4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 10:47 AM   #153
Richochet83

Drives: SIM 2LT Camaro RS
Camaro V6!!! F*CK YEAH!!!!! (in my Team America theme song voice)
Richochet83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 11:14 AM   #154
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
Watch. This is historic!

I see 10's before the year is out from a V6. And more in the 11's.

Watch Rod1when he gets back on the track with his latest addition.

Having raced for years, and seeing too many crashes (youngest daughter barrel rolled at 173mph at age 17 and if not for the safety equipment and the $75000 car sacrificing its structure to protect her who knows how bad it could have been) and fatalities to not follow every safety precaution possible.
SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote