Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Closed Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 02:03 PM   #1
Revo1
Don't Like it? Suggit.

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Thumbs up MANUAL vs AUTO (I promise it's not a repost)

I know this topic has been hashed and re-hashed until it became burger, but after reading through the many posts on the subject, I've noticed a couple things. The M/A arguments can be summed up into three major points.

Argument one: FUN/WORK

M guys: "Manual is the only way to have fun while driving"
A guys: "But I've been able to enjoy driving just fine without a manual transmission, and besides it's too much work"

Argument two: PERFORMANCE

M guys: "Manual is way faster. It's the only way to launch right"
A guys: "Auto is faster- the computer shifts faster than you ever could, and knows when to do it"

Argument three:
(and the biggest of the three) BALLS

M guys: "Real men drive stick, pansies drive auto"
A guys: "I don't need to assert my manhood, I can do that by driving what I want"

Now of course there will be other points put to this competition, but those eventually end up getting fed to the "balls" argument, and are moot points here. These three are the main arguments to consider when choosing a transmission.

Now it would seem that the A box arguments tend to be more factual and intelligent, and definitely more open to the way of tomorrow (let's face it, A transmissions are the future, and the days of shifting for yourself may very well be numbered) while the M box guys tend to me more locked into an emotional inclination against the A transmission, hanging on for dear life to the days of old.

But then, isn't that what Camaro is all about? This car is not just A-B. This car hails back to the days of it's rough-and-tumble predecessors and in a way, the past lives on through this new age F-body.

The car stirs it's driver emotionally, and that- in the end, is what it all comes down to. What stirs you?

"Tops off, tach up baby- loud and proud!"
A Camaro lover from day one- 1996 3.8 V6 Camaro, to 1996 5.7 LT1 Camaro Z28, to the sold 2002 5.7 LS1 Camaro SS, and NOW, a [I]6.2 L99 VR 2SS/RS: XS Power stainless full exhaust, Airaid CAI, BMR drop springs and sways, custom tune by Cal Speed- 411rwhp

Last edited by Revo1; 07-24-2010 at 03:48 PM.
Old 07-24-2010, 02:13 PM   #2
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
I'd agree for the most part, exept, the 'Days of Old' part. Todays manual transmisions are Automatics campared to 'yesteryears' sticks.

My point is that it's become so easy to do, that it ISN'T fun anymore. It's just like sliding a lever. And they've done a real good job of continuing to make people think they are 'Shifting Gears'.

Sure, they are telling the car when to do it and what gear, but the car is doing it for them.
Old 07-24-2010, 02:23 PM   #3
UCI CamaroFan
Zot!

Drives: Toyota 4Runner
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
I'd agree for the most part, exept, the 'Days of Old' part. Todays manual transmisions are Automatics campared to 'yesteryears' sticks.

My point is that it's become so easy to do, that it ISN'T fun anymore. It's just like sliding a lever. And they've done a real good job of continuing to make people think they are 'Shifting Gears'.

Sure, they are telling the car when to do it and what gear, but the car is doing it for them.
Except for the whole clutch pedal, where the driver can decide when (and how aggressively) they want to engage the clutch.

From first hand experience, I would tell you that if you ever hit black ice, a manual transmission is better to have because you have more control over the acceleration of the car. You want to be able to keep the car going at a constant speed. (I hit black ice going across country once in a manual transmission car. If it wasn't for the manual, I would have crashed).

And this is just one example of where this is important. No matter what, you have more control over the car with a manual transmission. This is fact.
Old 07-24-2010, 02:23 PM   #4
Revo1
Don't Like it? Suggit.

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
I gotta say, I'm kind of in a grey area. I've driven stick for awhile, but I'll be just fine with either gearbox when the time comes. Emmy doesn't drive stick, so will most likely be L99. And please believe, that works for me! I just can't wait to get into a 5th gen!

"Tops off, tach up baby- loud and proud!"
A Camaro lover from day one- 1996 3.8 V6 Camaro, to 1996 5.7 LT1 Camaro Z28, to the sold 2002 5.7 LS1 Camaro SS, and NOW, a [I]6.2 L99 VR 2SS/RS: XS Power stainless full exhaust, Airaid CAI, BMR drop springs and sways, custom tune by Cal Speed- 411rwhp
Old 07-24-2010, 02:30 PM   #5
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCI CamaroFan View Post
Except for the whole clutch pedal, where the driver can decide when (and how aggressively) they want to engage the clutch.

From first hand experience, I would tell you that if you ever hit black ice, a manual transmission is better to have because you have more control over the acceleration of the car. You want to be able to keep the car going at a constant speed. (I hit black ice going across country once in a manual transmission car. If it wasn't for the manual, I would have crashed).

And this is just one example of where this is important. No matter what, you have more control over the car with a manual transmission. This is fact.
Please explain how you benefited on the black ice with your manual over an auto.

I understand engaging your clutch half way or all the way and disengaging it as well. But you're telling me, that you used that to somehow control your car on black ice? Where was your right foot? I'm confused. You are a pretty damn good driver to be able to use the engine AND the regular brakes and need the engine to be only partialy engaged while one foot is on the brake and one on the partialy engaged clutch.

Now, I'm assuming you were sliding and needing to correct the car.
Old 07-24-2010, 02:36 PM   #6
UCI CamaroFan
Zot!

Drives: Toyota 4Runner
Quote:
Please explain how you benefited on the black ice with your manual over an auto.

I understand engaging your clutch half way or all the way and disengaging it as well. But you're telling me, that you used that to somehow control your car on black ice? Where was your right foot? I'm confused. You are a pretty damn good driver to be able to use the engine AND the regular brakes and need the engine to be only partialy engaged while one foot is on the brake and one on the partialy engaged clutch.
Having the manual transmission allowed me first disengage clutch so that I could get acclimated to what was happening. The truck I was in was swaying back and forth, so killing the power going to the wheels allowed me to concentrate on just steering at first. Then, I was able to have a very smooth downshift when I was slowing down on the black ice. If it was an automatic, the jerking from the automatic shifting would not have been as smooth as shifting with a manual transmission; it would have sent me into a wall.

There is no comparison when it comes to having more control over a car... manual all the way.
Old 07-24-2010, 02:47 PM   #7
KKreme15

Drives: C6 Z06
This wasn't necessary, you coulda posted this in on of the many other threads lol
Old 07-24-2010, 02:51 PM   #8
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCI CamaroFan View Post
Having the manual transmission allowed me first disengage clutch so that I could get acclimated to what was happening. The truck I was in was swaying back and forth, so killing the power going to the wheels allowed me to concentrate on just steering at first. Then, I was able to have a very smooth downshift when I was slowing down on the black ice. If it was an automatic, the jerking from the automatic shifting would not have been as smooth as shifting with a manual transmission; it would have sent me into a wall.

There is no comparison when it comes to having more control over a car... manual all the way.
I get the killing power by disengaging the clutch while you asses the situation.. I've done it before too. But the automatic downshift and upshifts are so nannied back nowdays that I think you are exagerating the 'jerking' of the shifts. Sure, you can control the engagement of the down shift with the clutch. But I would say the auto is smother and safer because there is no 'slowing' downshift. At BEST/WORST it's minimal. And that's what you want is minimal. It could be argued that an auto would be even better for that situation.
Old 07-24-2010, 03:00 PM   #9
danhr
BAMF SS

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS A8
Send a message via AIM to danhr
transmissions are over rated

Stock Longblock

800 SAE rwhp. 9.4 @ 145 mph.
Old 07-24-2010, 03:03 PM   #10
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danhr View Post

I hate all of them.
Old 07-24-2010, 03:04 PM   #11
blackknight
Camaro Lover

Drives: 2014 GMC Sierra 5.3L
Quote:
Originally Posted by danhr View Post
Lol yea they should change cars over to IVT transmissions like in farm equipment and heavy machinery.
Old 07-24-2010, 03:07 PM   #12
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
Quote:
I get the killing power by disengaging the clutch while you asses the situation.. I've done it before too. But the automatic downshift and upshifts are so nannied back nowdays that I think you are exagerating the 'jerking' of the shifts. Sure, you can control the engagement of the down shift with the clutch. But I would say the auto is smother and safer because there is no 'slowing' downshift. At BEST/WORST it's minimal. And that's what you want is minimal. It could be argued that an auto would be even better for that situation.
ok sure its safer and maybe ya its smother... a manual is just more badass, and it goes better with a badass car... maybe you bought a camaro to be a average every day car.. but i bought mine because i wanted to be a badass and have fun driving.... btw everyone who ask me about my car always ask me if its a manual.. and i say ya.. and they say hell ya ...
Old 07-24-2010, 03:12 PM   #13
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeSS View Post
ok sure its safer and maybe ya its smother... a manual is just more badass, and it goes better with a badass car... maybe you bought a camaro to be a average every day car.. but i bought mine because i wanted to be a badass and have fun driving.... btw everyone who ask me about my car always ask me if its a manual.. and i say ya.. and they say hell ya ...
When asked the same question I just tell them it's the automatic.

Usually they say, ah, man, I can't afford an automatic.

Then I just smile and say, "Stay in school and work hard. One day kid. One day"
Old 07-24-2010, 03:17 PM   #14
R Kern
NFRNO SS

Drives: 2010 IOM SS/RS M6
LOL, you just had to start another one of these!
For me, I'd love to have one of each, if I could. I sold my occasional use 'fun' car last year, an Austin-Healey Bugeye Sprite. That was a blast driving around twisty back roads. I thought since this car might end up like that one, I'd get the manual. They both have their good and bad points, but mostly these threads end up in a war. It's all good in a Camaro!

Closed Thread