Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 01-28-2010, 07:18 PM   #1
2ndgenz28
Thread Killer

Drives: All Black
Send a message via ICQ to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via AIM to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via Yahoo to 2ndgenz28
Broken yet accurate gas gauge I’m Stumped

Broken yet accurate gas gauge I’m Stumped

Any of the experience mechanics ever seen that?

All of a sudden I cannot fill the tank in my wagon.
[1980 Buick Electra Estate Wagon]

I can only get a tad above half and its coming out the filler.

Though it reads use proper, I let it get down to 1/4 and its a squeeze to get 5gals back in. 22gal tank, all new fuel system. tank, lines, pump, carb..........

Still the original sending unit though and ill drop it to change it, if I have too [when it warms up] but it seems odd, if its broke, it shouldn't be accurate on usage between half n a 1/4 ehy?
2ndgenz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 10:35 PM   #2
derklug

Drives: 12 Boss 302
Check the vent hose, it could be kinked, or water could have froze in it. Take a gas can with you and try running the car out of gas. If it actually runs out as if it only had a half tank, it is not the sender. If you get a full tanks worth of driving, it is the sender. Just my guess on a web diagnosis.
Old 02-01-2010, 11:28 AM   #3
MLL67RSSS
Account Suspended

Drives: car
So basically when it's full (gas coming out of the filler neck) it only reads a little over 1/2 tank, and when you use about 5 gal (which is near 1/4 tank) it drops 1/4 from 1/2 to 1/4 on the gauge. So the sender is trying to work. Since it is a new tank and everything the first thing I'd do is check the sender ground to make sure it is good. There should be a wire (black usually) from the sender to the chassis, if it's not getting a good ground the scale/range the gauge shows will be out of whack.
MLL67RSSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 12:54 PM   #4
2ndgenz28
Thread Killer

Drives: All Black
Send a message via ICQ to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via AIM to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via Yahoo to 2ndgenz28
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLL67RSSS View Post
So basically when it's full (gas coming out of the filler neck) it only reads a little over 1/2 tank, and when you use about 5 gal (which is near 1/4 tank) it drops 1/4 from 1/2 to 1/4 on the gauge. So the sender is trying to work. Since it is a new tank and everything the first thing I'd do is check the sender ground to make sure it is good. There should be a wire (black usually) from the sender to the chassis, if it's not getting a good ground the scale/range the gauge shows will be out of whack.

Thanks, thats a good lead right there.
With all the snow n salt it could not be grounded right.
2ndgenz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 12:58 PM   #5
Mister HP

Drives: Speed Shop owner
I have seen this on Chevy Blazers, they have an anti-siphon valve in the event of a rollover, and it gets stuck in the closed, or semi closed position, causing fuel to spill out the filler. I have no idea if your Buick wagon uses something similar, but it may be a place to look

Ed
Mister HP is offline   Reply With Quote