Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 08-18-2012, 10:22 AM   #15
2010camarolt

Drives: Victory Red 1LT
okay im going to add some details and what i did on my zl1 diffuser! I took the bumper off. Its not a hard job just a little scary. Its held on my 8 screws, 2 wire harnesses and some clips.(http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=211889). http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...bumper+removal I didnt jack up the car. You can also take the diffuser off with the bumper still on but i felt i was going to put a dent in my bumper. (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153221)

Okay some pics:
1st pic- the 2 red circles are the 2 hardest tabs to get off.
2nd pic. Shows the 2 hardest tabs again and the tab you have to start with. I had a problem getting the first tab off. Theres a clip in the bumper that holds the absorber that i had a hard time uncliping. Take your time and you can get it off.
3rd pic - in red shows the clip thats holding the absorber. In the green circle behind the absorber is a tab for the diffuser. Once you pop that tab in the diffuser just use your hands to pull up and the tabs will pop out until you get to the tabs in the 1st and 2nd pic.
4th and 5th pic- Shows the underside of the two tabs that i circled in the first pic. I used a flat head screw driver.just need to mess around with them. The two tabs in the center between the 2 circled tab holes are easy to get off. i just pulled up and they poped off. Then i got to the 2nd hard tab and used the screw driver. After that i used my hand and the rest of the diffuser just poped right off.

i didnt get the heat shields. i ran 3.5in dual staggered tips. I have mrt 2.0 and got the 2.5inch inlets but when i was at the exhaust shop its more like 2.75 so he had his work cut out for him. He had to cut my exhaust in 2 places and then cut the hangers off and reweld them on. Jerry (IDEALG) Sponsor on here did a great job getting the tips on.

The 2nd to last pic is what i used to get the screws from the rear wheel well off. the top screw i just used a t15 with a screw driver. and the bottom 2 i used a 1/4 inch wrench with a addapter and the t15 torx. worked great didnt have the take the wheel off.

The last pic is how it look with the single tip
Attached Images

Last edited by 2010camarolt; 08-18-2012 at 10:37 AM. Reason: updating
2010camarolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 11:02 AM   #16
2010camarolt

okay i have more to add. since i didnt get the new absorber. i had the extra 4 brackets laying around 1st pic. i decided to put 2 of them to use. I used the stainless steel screws Infinite T used to attached the diffuser to the absorber. But from a distance you could see the shinny screws under my car. I guess im picky but i didnt want to see them. Pic 2.(Circled in red is the stainless steel screw, circles in green is the black screw with the bracket) I took the bracket with one of the original black screws i took out of the diffuser and connected the absorber and the diffuser that way. Now theres black screws instead of shinny stainless steel screws.just a personal preference. If there good enought when gm put them on the car minus well reuse them!

** I would also get (2) #8 x 3/4"(<-i had this size laying around from my door panels, but they arent stainless steel) or (2) #8 x 1/2" stainless steel screw and nuts to connect the splash guard to the diffuser. Ill post a pic when my phone decides to send it**
Attached Images

Last edited by 2010camarolt; 08-18-2012 at 11:10 AM. Reason: updating
2010camarolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 01:06 PM   #17
Monchy36
ZLT!!! COTW (8/5/13)

Drives: 2011 IOM 1LT RS M6
Great job on the DIY! That's help a lot!!!
Monchy36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 08:12 AM   #18
2010camarolt

** I would also get (2) #8 x 3/4"(<-i had this size laying around from my door panels, but they arent stainless steel) or (2) #8 x 1/2" stainless steel screw and nuts to connect the splash guard to the diffuser. Ill post a pic when my phone decides to send it**

if any1 has any question just pm me
Attached Images

Old 08-19-2012, 08:41 AM   #19
2010SLVRBULIT

Drives: G5(LLT) & C6(LS3)
looks good.
2010SLVRBULIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 09:00 AM   #20
2010camarolt

so i was asked how the exhaust was centered...

i have an axle back so he cut a couple inches off the back on the axle back to center the exhaust. This threw off the position of the hangers. so he cut the hangers off and the cut my old tips off. he tack welded the axle back in place then tack welded the new tips. and then rewelded the hangers so they would fit. then fully welded everything so it didnt move. Idk whats it going to be like with a catback.
Attached Images

Old 08-19-2012, 08:27 PM   #21
Monchy36
ZLT!!! COTW (8/5/13)

Drives: 2011 IOM 1LT RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010camarolt View Post

i have an axle back so he cut a couple inches off the back on the axle back to center the exhaust. This threw off the position of the hangers. so he cut the hangers off and the cut my old tips off. he tack welded the axle back in place then tack welded the new tips. and then rewelded the hangers so they would fit. then fully welded everything so it didnt move. Idk whats it going to be like with a catback.
This is what i need now... Just a little add on the diffuser, like 2010camarolt said before is easier take the facia off and taking the absorber off make a piece of cake take the diffuser...
Monchy36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 09:38 AM   #22
foxygrandpa55

Drives: 2012 IOM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010camarolt View Post

Same thing for a catback. Had mine done Friday. And for the absorber, luckily I had 4 thick plastic bolts and washers that I used. Idk where I got them but they were in my shop and they look factory. Just had to drill the two center holes on the absorber with a 1/4" drill bit so the diffuser would line up
foxygrandpa55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 02:30 PM   #23
Infinite-T

Drives: 2011 1LT RS RJT
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxygrandpa55 View Post
Same thing for a catback. Had mine done Friday. And for the absorber, luckily I had 4 thick plastic bolts and washers that I used. Idk where I got them but they were in my shop and they look factory. Just had to drill the two center holes on the absorber with a 1/4" drill bit so the diffuser would line up
Yup, that was what I was trying to describe in my original write up. To the guy that was talking about the shiny screws being visible, I actually changed mine out for the same reason. I was looking at it one day and decided to get black ones. I went to a place a few miles from my house called Tacoma screw (this place is a HUGE local manufacturer of all things screw related) and got some black coated screws to use. It does look better.

Thanks for posting up more pictures and info for those replacing the absorber and stuff. I was lazy and didn't swap it.

The trickiest party of this mod seems to be the exhaust, but it sounds/looks like shops are being able to modify peoples different kits without too much trouble.

This is still one of my favorite cosmetic mods so far, I still get tons of comments on it at shows and around town from other owners who know it is not stock.

Keep the info and pics coming guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synner View Post
If you'd rather drive a civic that eats your soul than a camaro that eats your wallet then thats your choice.
Infinite-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 11:12 PM   #24
CamaroLS

Drives: 2014 Blue Ray Met. Camaro 1SS Vert
So does the side pieces stay on ok with the 3M tape?
CamaroLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 07:42 PM   #25
CamaroLS

Drives: 2014 Blue Ray Met. Camaro 1SS Vert
Do you know the part number for the diffuser?
CamaroLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 06:40 PM   #26
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

Drives: 2012 CRT NF Cammed 2SS/RS For Sale
Ok, so I added the tips, and will get the diffuser in the next few months. For anyone doing this same thing, get your tips put on with them centered with the post in between the taillights, that way when you get the new diffuser, they will fit.

I looked through a bunch of pics on C5, and it seems as though they are centered this way.
Attached Images

Old 10-02-2012, 09:57 PM   #27
ss04flores
2012 Camaro SS

Drives: 2012 camaro ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by vroomapunk View Post
Ok, so I added the tips, and will get the diffuser in the next few months. For anyone doing this same thing, get your tips put on with them centered with the post in between the taillights, that way when you get the new diffuser, they will fit.

I looked through a bunch of pics on C5, and it seems as though they are centered this way.
what post do you speak of?
Old 10-03-2012, 10:19 AM   #28
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

Drives: 2012 CRT NF Cammed 2SS/RS For Sale
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss04flores View Post
what post do you speak of?
The piece inbetween the taillights on each side. Speaking as though it has 4 separate taillights, the painted piece of the bumper going between each pair, is usually directly in line with the space in between each pair of tips, when using quad tips.

Look at a pic from directly behind a quad tip car, chances are the space in between the each pair of tips can be followed directly up to the space between each pair of taillights.

That same line also follows the outside outer edge of each reverse lamp housing.