Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-10-2008, 05:22 PM   #1
rayhawk

Drives: Camaro SS
Launchability

How much of an effect will the longer wheelbase of 112 inches have on the ability of this car to launch well and transfer the weight to the rear wheels? 4th gen cars had a wheelbase of 101 inches, that is almost a foot shorter. I like the proportions and the look of the car, but I am just wondering how much harder it will be to get a good launch. Not only does it have a longer wheelbase, but it looks like the engine is further forward in this car than in 4th gens.
Old 11-10-2008, 05:26 PM   #2
BowtieGuy
Enlightened

Drives: Nothing Currently
It has a near perfect 50/50 weight distribution. It won't lean back as far but there will be no difference in launching. Other than the fact that you will be taking off faster.

People have to talk about something just to keep their voice boxes in working order. So they'll have good voice boxes in case there's ever anything really meaningful to say.
Kurt Vonnegut
BowtieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 06:23 PM   #3
xl1200r

Drives: 2006 Cobalt SS/SC
Actually, the districution is a near perfect 52/48.

The 4th gens had a ton of overhang, so the front wheels where further back from the nose of the car, making the engine have to tuck in under the cowl, which was further made worse by the insane rake of the windscreen.

I think this car will launch just fine.
xl1200r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 06:37 PM   #4
rayhawk

I always thought the shorter the wheelbase, the easier it is to transfer weight to the rear wheels and get off the line quick. What was the weight distribution for the 4th gens like?
Old 11-10-2008, 07:04 PM   #5
TainoWarrior316

Drives: 2000 Silverado 4.8 V8
dude chevy knows wtf they are doing i mean cmon
Old 11-10-2008, 07:14 PM   #6
rayhawk

I am not saying I don't like the car, I am just wondering if it will be as well suited to drag racing as the 4th gens were. I am not a hard core drag racer anyway, I was just curious how it will compare.
Old 11-10-2008, 07:24 PM   #7
headpunter
Not That sad..considering

Drives: Man
Send a message via AIM to headpunter
softer rear suspension and less air in your tires could probably make up the difference
Old 11-10-2008, 10:16 PM   #8
xl1200r

Drives: 2006 Cobalt SS/SC
I'm not sure much a shorter wheelbase really affects anything. Funny cars and Top Fuel cars aren't all that short...
xl1200r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 05:47 AM   #9
rayhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by xl1200r View Post
I'm not sure much a shorter wheelbase really affects anything. Funny cars and Top Fuel cars aren't all that short...
I don't really see funny cars having much in common with a street car. Simple physics tells you that the distance between the points that support the car (tires) determine the effectiveness of shifting the center of mass of the car. In other words, think of the extreme case of a very short car where the weight is in the middle, it will be easy to get maximum weight pushing down on the rear wheels, giving the best launch. In this case the pivot point being the rear wheels, and the further that center of mass is away from the rear wheels, the less effective the weight transfer will be. Why don't they race extended cab trucks, or wagons, partly due to longer wheelbase and difficulty transferring weight to rear wheels. All I am saying is that I think launch control aside, this car will be more difficult to get to hook up than guys are used to with their 4th gens. With a street car, most people don't want to set up their suspension specifically to drag race, so the car with the shortest wheel base will usually be easiest to launch well, all other things being equal.

I did'nt say it is a slow car, or that it can't get off the line. I am just trying to compare it to what many of us are used to from the 4th gen cars. And FWIW, I like the proportions and what I am sure is an improved ride of this car over the 4th gen, even if it means slower 60' times.
Old 11-11-2008, 07:27 AM   #10
FirstLSK
Dude, I love my car !!!!

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS white rally
You can't base "launchability" on wheel base alone, but rather where the weight distribution is. Wheel axles are just torque fulcrums when it comes to "launching" a car.

Fulcrum Physics -- By moving the front wheels forward on the chassis, then you have effectively distributed a larger portion of the mass to the rear wheels BEFORE launch.

4th gen -- A large portion of the engine mass is supported only by the front wheels. Mass in the big nose is only transferred during torque rotation at launch:

5th gen -- Wheels have been moved forward = greater mass now supported by the rear wheels BEFORE launch.

Ironically, guess where they move the front wheels to on a funny car:
FirstLSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 07:41 AM   #11
rmyers

Drives: Both American Made
'post retracted'

Last edited by rmyers; 11-11-2008 at 08:10 AM.
rmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 08:09 AM   #12
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
0-60 times in 4.6 (4.5) says it's leaving the line pretty good for bone stock.
Old 11-11-2008, 10:11 AM   #13
LSxJunkie
Snark snark snark

Drives: RX350
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterCamaro69 View Post
0-60 times in 4.6 (4.5) says it's leaving the line pretty good for bone stock.
They said the same thing about the LS2 GTOs. And those things were shit, stock, for launching. So shit, in fact, that someone made a song about it.

Independent rear suspensions don't like holeshots. The GTOs and old CTS-Vs hopped and broke stubs and threw CV cages. They claim to have fixed that problem on the CTS-V and the Camaro. I'll wait to see one go down the track myself.

"

Driving a GTO with a M6 is like doing the Hokey Pokey

You put your left foot in,
You push your right hand up,
You let your left foot up,
and your shakin’ all around

You do the hippity hoppity
when you try to burn out
Like it’s gonna fall a-part.

You pull your right hand down,
And you chirp it coming out

You do the holy moly
and your grinning ear to ear
That’s what its all about.

ALL TOGETHER NOW……

You push your right hand up,
and your pullin’ real hard…….
Old 11-11-2008, 11:20 AM   #14
rayhawk

FirstLSK, I would have to partially agree with you, as weight distribution f/r is important. The reason a funny car has a lengthened wheelbase is for stability and because they do not have the compromises of a street car in terms of suspension setup. They have minimal if any front suspension to allow easy lifting and weight transfer. I think looking at equal f/r weight distribution vehicles the one with shorter wheelbase will hook better, as the center of mass is simply closer to the rear wheels, where it can do some good.

With that said, I found some info on the 4th gens, which is 56%f 44%rear weight distribution, so maybe the improvement in this area is more than enough to offset the longer wheelbase on the 5th gen.