Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 09-19-2009, 04:34 PM   #1
Dave McFly
*new car smell*

Drives: 2007 Ford Mustang 'Natasha'
Send a message via ICQ to Dave McFly Send a message via AIM to Dave McFly Send a message via MSN to Dave McFly Send a message via Yahoo to Dave McFly Send a message via Skype™ to Dave McFly
Question AC recharge question (for impala/monte owners)

Monty, needs to have the AC recharged. I got a can of the coolant and i have the hose that connects the can to the port to refill it. but i cannot tell which one is which. I have one on one of the lines just under and behind the air box on the right side of the engine bay. and i have one on the firewall just under the left wiper blade. one of my friends said that of the 2 the smaller one is the one you connect the hose 2. but on the can it says attach it to the lower line. so for any of you who have impalas and Montes (and other cars like it, grand prix, etc) where do you connect the hose to, i just want to make sure so i do not blow up my AC system .

Last edited by Dave McFly; 09-19-2009 at 05:25 PM.
Dave McFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 04:44 PM   #2
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
What year is your car? Just making sure it doesnt need r-134
ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 05:24 PM   #3
Dave McFly
*new car smell*

Send a message via ICQ to Dave McFly Send a message via AIM to Dave McFly Send a message via MSN to Dave McFly Send a message via Yahoo to Dave McFly Send a message via Skype™ to Dave McFly
Talking

its a 2004 (shows that under my avatar ). and i have the correct stuff my dad put it in before in his impala (2001) and since this is basically a 2 door shorter version of that car the ports should be in the same place .
Old 09-19-2009, 05:25 PM   #4
Oldrocker

Drives: 2010 SS2/RS Victory Red
THE SMALLER LINE IS NOT THE ONE TO CONNECT TO!!!! It would be dangerous to do that. The small line is the high pressure side, you want to connect to the larger of the two lines which is the suction line. Also your 2004 Monte Carlo doesn't take r-12, it takes 134a and the fitting from the kit will only hook up to the low side. That being said, these systems are sensitive to proper refrigerant charge, so I recommend you take it to a pro that knows what they are doing and has the proper equipment to do it with. FYI it connects to the line under the air cleaner. If hooked up to the high side it won't blow up your A/C system, the can of refrigerant can blow up in your hand!
Oldrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 05:33 PM   #5
Dave McFly
*new car smell*

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldrocker View Post
THE SMALLER LINE IS NOT THE ONE TO CONNECT TO!!!! It would be dangerous to do that. The small line is the high pressure side, you want to connect to the larger of the two lines which is the suction line. Also your 2004 Monte Carlo doesn't take r-12, it takes 134a and the fitting from the kit will only hook up to the low side. That being said, these systems are sensitive to proper refrigerant charge, so I recommend you take it to a pro that knows what they are doing and has the proper equipment to do it with. FYI it connects to the line under the air cleaner. If hooked up to the high side it won't blow up your A/C system, the can of refrigerant can blow up in your hand!
i meant to say 134, as i got the correct stuff, you cant even BUY the R12 in stores anymore. my dad's friend who runs a garage that does all the stuff we cannot do (shocks, struts, stuff like that) told me it was the smaller one near the firewall. and i have been reading different forums and all of them said near the air box (big one).
Old 09-20-2009, 09:22 AM   #6
duder4thgen

Drives: Bird
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave McFly View Post
i meant to say 134, as i got the correct stuff, you cant even BUY the R12 in stores anymore. my dad's friend who runs a garage that does all the stuff we cannot do (shocks, struts, stuff like that) told me it was the smaller one near the firewall. and i have been reading different forums and all of them said near the air box (big one).
When in doubt, the one that gets cool/cold is your low side port, the one that gets hot is your high side. If they are both the same temperature, be prepared to spend money in the future. I'd listen to the people who own one and are saying near the air box.

Might be worth renting a manifold set from autozone so you can see whats going on with the high side pressure at the same time.
duder4thgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 01:36 PM   #7
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Arent the high side and low side different size fittings?
ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 04:49 PM   #8
Oldrocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by shnomac77 View Post
Arent the high side and low side different size fittings?
Yes they are.
Old 09-22-2009, 10:08 PM   #9
firestone_ss

Drives: 2010 camaro ss
i belive that can will only let you hook to the low side anyways,blue cap
firestone_ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 10:14 PM   #10
coolman

Pay me now or pay me alot more later. I've been doing refrigeration for along time and still can't figure out how someone thinks they can put the proper amout of freon in a car with just a can and a hose.
coolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 08:00 PM   #11
Oldrocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolman View Post
Pay me now or pay me alot more later. I've been doing refrigeration for along time and still can't figure out how someone thinks they can put the proper amout of freon in a car with just a can and a hose.
I love it when they do though, it makes me lots of money.
Old 09-23-2009, 08:09 PM   #12
coolman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldrocker View Post
I love it when they do though, it makes me lots of money.
I'm with you there.
coolman is offline   Reply With Quote