Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Closed Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 04:37 PM   #99
a6pk2go

Drives: ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfer1 View Post
This really pisses me off and always has is that kids nowadays get stuff handed to them. Granted I'm only 19 years old and come from a family that has money but everything I have now I paid for and earned from working since I was 13. My first truck and the car I have now. I'm even paying for my education. Kids that go to the high school I went to are driving Mercedes, Escalades and BMWs that their parents literally gave them. They didn't earn shit and will probably going to get a brand new car when they go to college. So to all the parents on this forum who are buying their kids nice cars for their first car. You aren't doing shit to help them, all that you are teaching them is that in life you don't have to work for a lot and that the rich just get things handed to them. Instead you should be teaching them how to become successful as you did rather than giving them material possessions to shut them up. You aren't doing them anything to service the future.
+1
Old 05-25-2009, 05:02 PM   #100
Dave McFly
*new car smell*

Drives: 2007 Ford Mustang 'Natasha'
Send a message via ICQ to Dave McFly Send a message via AIM to Dave McFly Send a message via MSN to Dave McFly Send a message via Yahoo to Dave McFly Send a message via Skype™ to Dave McFly
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfer1 View Post
This really pisses me off and always has is that kids nowadays get stuff handed to them. Granted I'm only 19 years old and come from a family that has money but everything I have now I paid for and earned from working since I was 13. My first truck and the car I have now. I'm even paying for my education. Kids that go to the high school I went to are driving Mercedes, Escalades and BMWs that their parents literally gave them. They didn't earn shit and will probably going to get a brand new car when they go to college. So to all the parents on this forum who are buying their kids nice cars for their first car. You aren't doing shit to help them, all that you are teaching them is that in life you don't have to work for a lot and that the rich just get things handed to them. Instead you should be teaching them how to become successful as you did rather than giving them material possessions to shut them up. You aren't doing them anything to service the future.

When I was in high school my dad bought me my 1st car, a 1980 Malibu coupe. He gave it to me for my 16th birthday, and I LOVED the car. We sat down an talked and he told me that as long as i kept my grades up he would keep the car in my name, but he would take care of the insurance and gas (until I got a job in the summer). I did not get my DL until my the day before my freshmen year do to both my folks not having enough time to take me out when I had my permit (they both drove their cars all over for their jobs, and the last thing they wanted to do when getting home was take me out, so i drove on weekends and practiced parallel parking on my block). My dad wrote out the contract and we both signed it and said if my grades slipped the car would ONLY be used for school and the occasional doctors or dentist appointment. one day i got a warning report (you get them half way through the quarter). I was so scared i would loose my car, but he was cool with that as long as i promised to get them back up in time for report cards. it was this arrangement that helped me be a responsible car owner to this day, thanks DAD, you da man !
Old 05-31-2009, 01:31 PM   #101
syr74
Account Suspended

Drives: Thunderbird
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrath View Post
Well im not paying for mine... but my dad told me if i get a full ride to college he would get me a new car (With about a 35k limit) and.... I got a full ride! Honestly, do you consider this spoiled or earned? I have been driving a crappy 90's jeep cherokee.
Here is an idea for ya' chief. Perhaps, what you earned by studying and doing well in your classes, was actually the full ride to college? And yet, you somehow feel that your actual reward....you know, that full ride to college.... should bring with it a sort of bonus reward as a proverbial cherry on top?

The corporal who saved his own rather meager pay so that he could buy his own car? That was earned. See the difference?
Old 05-31-2009, 02:04 PM   #102
Hemlawk
AwesomeBillDawesonville

Drives: CGM 2SS/RS =)
I dislikle spoiled kids, especially since my old brother and sister got new cars when they turned 17 and I had to buy my own car. A $200 '69 Nova, 4 door, 250 straight 6. But I loved that car!

But in al honesty, good for them. I wouldn't give my kid a 400hp car until after hihghschool.

Order placed on 1/13/11 - Purchased 2/22/11 2SS/RS CGM
Old 05-31-2009, 03:47 PM   #103
sabrescamaro

Drives: TB SS and temporarily 2LTRS VR
I don't see why this bothers anyone. Good for the kids. There are kids at my school with ridiculous cars, also. The new trend at my school is to buy kids a big SUV (Escalade, Yukon, Tahoe, the ugly lexus one, MDX, etc.) then buying them a convertible for the summer (Buffalo weather...) and some of the convertibles/sports cars I've seen in the first month or two where it's reasonable to drive them are SL550, Ford GT, Jaguars, Maseratis, and an Aston Martin or two. I think that Camaros are perfectly reasonable cars -- much more reasonable than a SL550 and a Yukon like my best friend. And who really cares? If you work hard, you can get yourself and your kids cars like that.
Old 05-31-2009, 03:57 PM   #104
ericeast
Mr. Irrelevant

Drives: Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by drivingincamaro View Post
Im just scratching my head wondering when this Country went so wrong

Do parents have no shame...?

When i have kids i will make my kid earn every penny for a brand new car and he totals it. it's his problem. He will learn alot about life
Easy with that "country going wrong" stuff. There are people on this board that SERVE that country. And proudly. Myself included. If you haven't been around long enough to even CONTRIBUTE to it yet.....don't knock it.

As for making your kids earn every penny? Roger that. I'm with you there.

Order# NKDN32
Old 05-31-2009, 06:31 PM   #105
Silver Streak

Drives: 2008 Cobalt SS/TC
Send a message via AIM to Silver Streak Send a message via MSN to Silver Streak
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaymoreZ28 View Post
Sounds like a windup thread and between that and your handle I'd be surprised if anyone bites.

"The future is in the windshield, not the rear-view mirror!"

"If you haven't gone a 175 mph on land, you haven't lived! That's just a fact!" - Ricky Bobby

Closed Thread