Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 03-30-2015, 05:35 PM   #1
angryBits

Drives: ZL1 1LE A10
Intro. Traded 2013 GT500 for 2015 ZL1

Hey Everyone!

I figured I should do the New Camaro Owner Intro.

I'm coming to the 2015 ZL1 from a 2013 Shelby GT500. I don't think there can be a more controversial switch. Switching from the GT500 to a ZL1 isn't just switching life long rival cars, its almost like switching religions. But I'm not religious and I've never been a die-hard fan, rather I just like muscle cars.

If I had the opportunity to test drive both cars from the start, there's no doubt I would have taken the ZL1. Unfortunately at the time, there weren't many GT500's and ZL1's available to test drive and having owned a 2011 Mustang GT in the past, it seemed the obvious upgrade path plus I'll admit the GT500 seems better on paper.

However, if I had bought the ZL1 to start, I would have wondered -- Is the GT500 the better car? Now having owned the GT500 for almost 3 years and now being the happy owner of a ZL1, I can honestly say with certainty that I now own the better car for me. Please note the "for me" part as the Shelby has it's strengths but it's not the "driver's car" i'm looking for.

Some highlights on a owners' point of view of pros and cons between the two.

Note:
Shelby had a full griggs racing setup and 20x11s w/ 315 tires.
ZL1 is currently 100% stock.

Shelby Pros:
1. Makes a lot of power and is very easy to make a lot more with forged internals and triple overengineered everything, there's no fear about an upper limit IMO.
2. Sounds better but not much once you pull the NPP fuse from the ZL1.
3. In a better place to yield better 1/4 miles and highway pulls.

ZL1 Pros:
1. Very confidence inspiring smooth power and smooth weight transitions.
2. Very precise steering.
3. Magnetic Ride Control is the new IRS and if you don't have it you've got a Live Axle. I honestly feel like Magnetic Ride Control is so magical that it will soon be considered a benchmark in sports car metrics -- if you don't have it, your car is old tech. So the ZL1 effectively leaves the GT500 behind 2 generations of car technology.
4. Shifts are very precise and smooth and FAST, unlike the Shelby where shifts were slow and clunky.
5. Handling is among the best I've experienced, the car goes exactly where you expect, it does exactly what you expect and there are no surprises and no fuss, it's truly a precision instrument. Very flat, very grounded, grips all day long and it's hard to upset the car.
6. Way better hook up in a straight and especially better coming out of a turn.
7. I spent lots of money getting Shelby to handle and the result was a mediocre track car that was terrible on the street. Where the ZL1, right out of the box in touring mode is smoother than a toyota camry but sharper than the GT500 could ever hope to be while still communicating the road information you want. You put the car in sport mode and its even flatter and more communicative. You put the car in track mode and I would go as far as to say the ZL1 felt as well controlled and better balanced than the last GT-R I drove.

Result:
These two cars are actually not even in the same league. GT500 is good on paper and makes a lot of noise and smoke, but the ZL1 is ACTUALLY a great performer.

Whenever there was a ZL1 vs GT500 battle I'd always be the first to yell out, no no the GT500 just needs a watts link and a good set of tires... but I was wrong.

If you encounter another GT500 vs ZL1 battle, and the GT500 owner insists his car is just as good on the track as the ZL1, send him to this thread and let him hear it from someone who has owned the GT500 and happily switched to the ZL1... The GT500 is a fun car and I loved mine, but it's still an old school muscle car and the ZL1 has moved on from its roots to become a great sports car.

Here's a link to a 3000 mile road trip I took with my GT500.
I hope to have a similar road trip soon with the ZL1.
http://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-...trip-long.html

Thanks for reading!

Current: 2019 ZL1 1LE A10
Mods: MPS4s Tires | Borla Atak | CF Steering Wheel
Previous: 2018 ZL1 1LE M6 | 2017 Z06 Z07 M7 | 2017 GS A8 | 2015 ZL1 M6 | 2013 GT500
angryBits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 05:42 PM   #2
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Drives: 13 ZL1#182, 85 CJ7, 16 Silverado
Great review, welcome and enjoy the ride!
Old 03-30-2015, 05:45 PM   #3
DrkPhx

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 / 2006 TB SS
Welcome and what a controversial switch indeed.
DrkPhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 05:46 PM   #4
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
Wow,

Great intro!

Glad to have you aboard. Nice insight on the GT500 as well.

I've always loved muscle cars and I'm extremely happy to own the ZL1. I have to agree with you that the mag ride puts the ZL1 in another class. Others don't "get it" unless the are able to drive the car and experience it.

Seems there are several Bar Area ZL1 owners coming out of the wood work lately. lol
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 05:59 PM   #5
MaroSS
ZL1

Drives: 10' SS/RS - Sold; 15' White ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by angryBits View Post
Hey Everyone!

I figured I should do the New Camaro Owner Intro.

I'm coming to the 2015 ZL1 from a 2013 Shelby GT500. I don't think there can be a more controversial switch. Switching from the GT500 to a ZL1 isn't just switching life long rival cars, its almost like switching religions. But I'm not religious and I've never been a die-hard fan, rather I just like muscle cars.

If I had the opportunity to test drive both cars from the start, there's no doubt I would have taken the ZL1. Unfortunately at the time, there weren't many GT500's and ZL1's available to test drive and having owned a 2011 Mustang GT in the past, it seemed the obvious upgrade path plus I'll admit the GT500 seems better on paper.

However, if I had bought the ZL1 to start, I would have wondered -- Is the GT500 the better car? Now having owned the GT500 for almost 3 years and now being the happy owner of a ZL1, I can honestly say with certainty that I now own the better car for me. Please note the "for me" part as the Shelby has it's strengths but it's not the "driver's car" i'm looking for.

Some highlights on a owners' point of view of pros and cons between the two.

Note:
Shelby had a full griggs racing setup and 20x11s w/ 315 tires.
ZL1 is currently 100% stock.

Shelby Pros:
1. Makes a lot of power and is very easy to make a lot more with forged internals and triple overengineered everything, there's no fear about an upper limit IMO.
2. Sounds better but not much once you pull the NPP fuse from the ZL1.
3. In a better place to yield better 1/4 miles and highway pulls.

ZL1 Pros:
1. Very confidence inspiring smooth power and smooth weight transitions.
2. Very precise steering.
3. Magnetic Ride Control is the new IRS and if you don't have it you've got a Live Axle. I honestly feel like Magnetic Ride Control is so magical that it will soon be considered a benchmark in sports car metrics -- if you don't have it, your car is old tech. So the ZL1 effectively leaves the GT500 behind 2 generations of car technology.
4. Shifts are very precise and smooth and FAST, unlike the Shelby where shifts were slow and clunky.
5. Handling is among the best I've experienced, the car goes exactly where you expect, it does exactly what you expect and there are no surprises and no fuss, it's truly a precision instrument. Very flat, very grounded, grips all day long and it's hard to upset the car.
6. Way better hook up in a straight and especially better coming out of a turn.
7. I spent lots of money getting Shelby to handle and the result was a mediocre track car that was terrible on the street. Where the ZL1, right out of the box in touring mode is smoother than a toyota camry but sharper than the GT500 could ever hope to be while still communicating the road information you want. You put the car in sport mode and its even flatter and more communicative. You put the car in track mode and I would go as far as to say the ZL1 felt as well controlled and better balanced than the last GT-R I drove.

Result:
These two cars are actually not even in the same league. GT500 is good on paper and makes a lot of noise and smoke, but the ZL1 is ACTUALLY a great performer.

Whenever there was a ZL1 vs GT500 battle I'd always be the first to yell out, no no the GT500 just needs a watts link and a good set of tires... but I was wrong.

If you encounter another GT500 vs ZL1 battle, and the GT500 owner insists his car is just as good on the track as the ZL1, send him to this thread and let him hear it from someone who has owned the GT500 and happily switched to the ZL1... The GT500 is a fun car and I loved mine, but it's still an old school muscle car and the ZL1 has moved on from its roots to become a great sports car.

Here's a link to a 3000 mile road trip I took with my GT500.
I hope to have a similar road trip soon with the ZL1.
http://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-...trip-long.html

Thanks for reading!
Very great write up always good to hear a car person's point of view instead of a loyalist. Congrats on the car and welcome. Now the problem is having a 6th Gen SS be better performing or on par with your current ZL1 lol only speaks volumes if another ZL1 comes out lol.
Old 03-30-2015, 06:17 PM   #6
angryBits

Drives: ZL1 1LE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaroSS View Post
Now the problem is having a 6th Gen SS be better performing or on par with your current ZL1 lol only speaks volumes if another ZL1 comes out lol.
*Sigh* You're right and I had this same concern when buying the 2015 ZL1.

I find myself hoping the Gen6 is ugly hahaha

The next gen Camaro may be lighter and it may come with Mag Ride, but I have my doubts that a Gen6 SS will beat a Gen5 ZL1 since the ZL1 already handles amazing and even if the SS gets the LS7, it won't have an LSA!

Current: 2019 ZL1 1LE A10
Mods: MPS4s Tires | Borla Atak | CF Steering Wheel
Previous: 2018 ZL1 1LE M6 | 2017 Z06 Z07 M7 | 2017 GS A8 | 2015 ZL1 M6 | 2013 GT500
angryBits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 06:32 PM   #7
Front Runner

Drives: 2016 Nightfall Gray Metallic SS
Awesome right up! The ZL1 is an awesome ride. Enjoy.

2016 Nightfall Gray Camaro SS
Front Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 06:37 PM   #8
revobasher

Drives: 2013 ZL1
740hp/700tq @14lbs on E85

Build Thread
revobasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 06:50 PM   #9
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
Welcome to Camaro5 and congrats on the ZL1!

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 07:19 PM   #10
Blueclyde

Drives: 2023 ZLE
Great post. Thank you for the first hand insights. I love the color of your car.

PS, I'm sure the 6th Gen SS will be nice but doubt it will be totally on par with a 5th Gen ZL1. This is only my opinion and I am certain others will disagree with this. I just can't see a 35 something thousand dollar base price SS being on par with a 55 something dollar base price ZL1. A 6th Gen Z-something will be another story, I guess we will see soon enough.
Blueclyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 07:22 PM   #11
MaroSS
ZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by angryBits View Post
*Sigh* You're right and I had this same concern when buying the 2015 ZL1.

I find myself hoping the Gen6 is ugly hahaha

The next gen Camaro may be lighter and it may come with Mag Ride, but I have my doubts that a Gen6 SS will beat a Gen5 ZL1 since the ZL1 already handles amazing and even if the SS gets the LS7, it won't have an LSA!
You are definitely right ... I think the biggest plus/con we have is no active fuel management.

Pro: Sounds like a V8 at all times.
Con: No Active fuel management.

Then if you want to mod, the parts are already there and proven since the CTS-V. The 6th gen will somewhat a new learning experience since I hear they are tailoring the LT1 to the Camaro because of dimensions. No telling when the high performance variant will come out and what it will contain lol.

I'm hoping the 6th gen Camaro will be ugly too lmao.
Old 03-30-2015, 07:24 PM   #12
MaroSS
ZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueclyde View Post
Great post. Thank you for the first hand insights. I love the color of your car.

PS, I'm sure the 6th Gen SS will be nice but doubt it will be totally on par with a 5th Gen ZL1. This is only my opinion and I am certain others will disagree with this. I just can't see a 35 something thousand dollar base price SS being on par with a 55 something dollar base price ZL1. A 6th Gen Z-something will be another story, I guess we will see soon enough.
Al already stated that they want customers to expect ZL1 type performance at the SS level :(
Old 03-30-2015, 07:24 PM   #13
ZL1Kid_AL

Drives: 2014 ZL1- Summit White M6
Great write up. Makes me feel more content because there was a 2014 shelby available at the same price I got my ZL1 for and I read some many reviews between the two of them, the shelby is a badass car in its own right... ultimately I went with the ZL1 and had no regrets in the decision.. But along the way I couldn't help but wonder what it was like to drive the snake
Old 03-30-2015, 07:28 PM   #14
jayno20
Go fast, please.

Drives: 2019 Corvette ZR1
Very nice. It's always good to hear from the "other side" in these situations. Especially when they are as non-biased as this (op having owned both cars).
jayno20 is offline   Reply With Quote