Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 08-31-2010, 10:34 AM   #1
robertway

Drives: 2012 Challenger SRT8 Auto
Painting calipers + track days, good or bad?

Hey folks, I am considering painting my calipers to give a little bit of color to my SIM 2SS. I have been looking mainly at the VHT Hi Temp Caliper Paint (650 degrees) and the G2 caliper paint (900 degrees) but also the VHT Engine paints (500 degrees). My question is will these paints hold up to track days that obviously put some real heat stress on the calipers. I have no idea what temps the calipers get up to during heavy use so hopefully someone has some feedback on painted calipers and going to the track. The VHT 500 degree paints have some colors I'd like to consider but I have no idea if that is starting to get too low a temp tolerance.

Thanks in advance....

"When the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." - Benjamin Franklin

LS3 Camshaft Swap Do-It-Yourself Instructions - 2010 LS3 gone but not forgotten!!!
robertway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 10:40 AM   #2
2010 2-Tone

Drives: 2010 RY 2SS with Custom Stripes
Get them powdercoated and be done with it. A little more work and a little more money but it will look so much better and you won't have to be doing it again.
2010 2-Tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 11:03 AM   #3
robertway

Thanks for the recommendation but I am trying to be budget-minded if I can. If I can just go out in the garage any do it myself and not get involved with bleeding the brakes and dis-assembly/assembly than I'd rather just go the painted route.

"When the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." - Benjamin Franklin

LS3 Camshaft Swap Do-It-Yourself Instructions - 2010 LS3 gone but not forgotten!!!
Old 08-31-2010, 12:39 PM   #4
2Devious

Drives: 2013 SIM Camaro 2SS/RS/1LE NPP NAV
I'm gonna go ahead and say that if you plan on tracking regularly don't bother with the paint.
After a few high heat cycles the caliper paint will still "burn" and probably start to brown out.
As it isn't all that expensive, or time consuming, you could always throw some on and see how it holds up. But, I doubt they are going to keep that "freshly painted" look for too many track days.
Old 08-31-2010, 12:57 PM   #5
robertway

The other option is to use VHT's 2000 degree header paint

http://www.vhtpaint.com/flameproof.html

Old 08-31-2010, 05:51 PM   #6
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Devious View Post
I'm gonna go ahead and say that if you plan on tracking regularly don't bother with the paint.
After a few high heat cycles the caliper paint will still "burn" and probably start to brown out.
As it isn't all that expensive, or time consuming, you could always throw some on and see how it holds up. But, I doubt they are going to keep that "freshly painted" look for too many track days.
Yep. My CTS-V brembo Calipers were once silver. They are now track heat gold tone. Brown would be an ungly color
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 02:15 PM   #7
robertway

Will the powder coating stand up to the track days over time?

Pete, can you post some pictures of what your CTS caliper look like now?

Thanks in advance...

Old 09-01-2010, 07:52 PM   #8
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertway View Post
Will the powder coating stand up to the track days over time?

Pete, can you post some pictures of what your CTS caliper look like now?

Thanks in advance...
I flagged the thread notice and will take a photo to post tomorrow.
Old 09-02-2010, 04:10 AM   #9
robertway

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
I flagged the thread notice and will take a photo to post tomorrow.
Thanks Pete, will be nice to see what that gold looks like on the Red Pedders mobile, you may have to drive it in reverse for a while to get the rears to match

Old 09-02-2010, 09:14 AM   #10
JusticePete

I took a close-up for you and then cropped it so it would display better.

Maybe we should call this the 5th Gen Gold Package?
Old 09-03-2010, 05:19 AM   #11
robertway

You do now realize that with the gold bling you can easily drive from home to the track, pull off some nice laps, and then go pimpin'.... cause it aint easy, but at 1.4gs it is probably fun... Thanks for the picture Pete.