Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 11-10-2017, 11:59 AM   #1
Psmarc76

Drives: 13 zl1
Replace subframe not covered by warranty?

So here's the deal. I have a 13 ZL1 convertible and I have the gm extended warranty. I'm at 92,000 miles currently and I've taken to the dealership I purchased it from numerous times but the last 3 have all been in regards to rear suspension issues. At 70,000 it was the shocks that needed replacing. Around 75,000 I felt something odd with the car but couldn't quite place it so I took it back to them and they replaced rear tires, bushings, control arms, etc. I had described it to them as a sudden jerking under acceleration akin to watching a woman walking in high heels and have it buckle under. The first fix for the shocks we split the bill with gmpp. The second time they covered all the parts and labor except the tires. After picking it up on my way home about 60 miles away I noticed it step out again do I took it to my hometown dealer and they saw that one of the upper control arm bolts wasn't tightened and fixed it which I paid for. I've been driving my entire life and love my ZL1 when it's doing what she was built for but even after all these fixes there was something that didn't feel right to me. I couldn't quite explain it or self diagnose it thinking maybe it was an electric power steering problem which I am not familiar with but it really felt rear end related so I took it in to the purchasing dealership and after a week they called with the worst news possible.
They took the rear suspension completely apart and found that the 2 bolts which connect it to the car had been loose for some time and had caused the holes to oblong so that the rear suspension could shift and after that it got worse. They say the only way to repair it is to replace the entire subframe and that the extended warranty would not cover it and that I should turn it in to my insurance company. As of right now I'm not sure how I'm going to proceed. I'm upset because the problem is with a non-serviceable part that wasn't abused and feel this is either a manufacturing defect or possibly just a defect with my car. Either way I'm unhappy that it is being put on me to fix as well as understanding the value of the vehicle has been reduced to that of a salvage vehicle because anyone who would buy the car would see this major repair and it would scare off many buyers. I had always intended to pass it on to my 10 year old son the way any special car should be creating a bond that non car people don't understand or appreciate. Now I truly wonder if that's a good idea but if I feel it's safe then I will but after paying what I did for the vehicle and now having to possibly pay a substantial amount to repair it I'm almost ready to see if the insurance company will just total it out and use the money to buy another type of vehicle. It's not what either of us want because as my son says "we have too many memories in this car together". I'm not sure if anyone on here can give me some advice or if I just vented to try and feel better but I'm curious what you all think I might be able to do. I've been advised to hire a lawyer and sue or file a complaint with the bureau of automotive repair and these are ideas I may take up but really I'd just like gm to step up and do what I feel is right which I'll keep to myself so I can see if it matches your opinions. Anyways thank you all who have read this and take the time to respond.
Psmarc76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 01:56 PM   #2
KJZ28

Drives: 2018 Buick Regal TourX
I hope that gets resolved. That stinks.
SOLD: 2010 2SS/RS L99-A6 K&N CAI, Speed Engineering Long Tube Headers, Stainless Works hi-flow cats, Flowmaster American Thunder Cat-back. Tuned by Corvettes of Westchester. 1/LE rear suspension conversion, Bilstein B6 Stuts/shocks.
KJZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 02:41 PM   #3
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
Your Insurance Company will not Total it out! All you are talking about is a Cradle Replacement. No one will be able to tell that it has been changed out unless it is on a Car Fax Report and even then that is not a big deal. How much are they saying it will Cost? A New Cradle is only about $1400.
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 02:17 AM   #4
ZL1C7

Drives: 2023 SS 1LE 10SPD/2015 SS 427 Man
If the convertible and coupe cradles are the same, I have an extra you can have. If you want it installed I can get that handled also. What city are you in?
Old 11-11-2017, 05:36 AM   #5
2013ZL1FUN

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Convertible A6 BRM
Couldn't some skillful welding be the answer here?
Old 11-11-2017, 02:42 PM   #6
DrkPhx

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 / 2006 TB SS
Do you have any pics? There are 4 large bolts that secure the rear cradle to the frame. If if's the sleeve holes inside of the cradle bushings; those (cradle bushings) are replaceable. I replaced the stock cradle bushing with solid bushings and the car is rock solid with no more rear end kick out on acceleration and minimal to none NVH increase. Handling is better as well.
DrkPhx is offline   Reply With Quote