Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 07-31-2010, 08:28 PM   #15
larryt1026

Drives: 2011 Camaro LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by chozn4service View Post
This is my next mod. I just bought an SS wheel for $140 delivered. Should have it within the next 7days and I'll be doing this myself. Can't wait as there is nothing like the feel of a leather wheel. Do this on my Honda Element was pretty easy. I'm just wondering about the battery disconnect. Will under the hood suffice or will I also have to disconnect in the trunk as well?
Wow where'd you get that deal?!
larryt1026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 01:38 AM   #16
SILVER BULLITT

Drives: 2010 SIM 2SS/RS MONSTER
prob trunk just to be sure .. and to speed it up touch both terminals together off the battery to drain the capacitor faster......
HP MONSTER' SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA BUILT, LMR CAI, CUSTOM GRIND CAM, CUSTOM BUILT CNC PORTED AND POLISHED HEADS, FAST 102MM INTAKE MANIFOLD,ARH LONG TUBES AND HIGH FLOW CATS, BIGGER INJECTORS, VALVES SPRINGS RETAINERS, MGW SHORT SHIFTER, EIBACH SPRINGS, FACTORY CHROMED WHEELS, BLACKED OUT EMBLEMS, BLACKED OUT ROOF,BLACKED OUT MARKERS, 3.5 INCH ELECTRONIC CUTOUTS, FLOWMASTERS, ZEX WET 150 SHOT, FOR A GRAND TOTAL OF =630 REAR WHEEL TORQUE ,AND 600 REAR WHEEL HORSEPOWER
MY JOURNALhttp://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...02#post2023802 SOON TWIN TURBO SETUP
SILVER BULLITT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 12:34 AM   #17
larryt1026

I just purchased my steering wheel but I can't figure out what a torx47 ratchet is....anyone have any idea..or even a picture of it?
Old 08-07-2010, 02:52 AM   #18
SILVER BULLITT

Drives: 2010 SIM 2SS/RS MONSTER
torx is a kind of head for a ratchet ... it looks like a star , same amount of sides as a allen wrench
HP MONSTER' SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA BUILT, LMR CAI, CUSTOM GRIND CAM, CUSTOM BUILT CNC PORTED AND POLISHED HEADS, FAST 102MM INTAKE MANIFOLD,ARH LONG TUBES AND HIGH FLOW CATS, BIGGER INJECTORS, VALVES SPRINGS RETAINERS, MGW SHORT SHIFTER, EIBACH SPRINGS, FACTORY CHROMED WHEELS, BLACKED OUT EMBLEMS, BLACKED OUT ROOF,BLACKED OUT MARKERS, 3.5 INCH ELECTRONIC CUTOUTS, FLOWMASTERS, ZEX WET 150 SHOT, FOR A GRAND TOTAL OF =630 REAR WHEEL TORQUE ,AND 600 REAR WHEEL HORSEPOWER
MY JOURNALhttp://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...02#post2023802 SOON TWIN TURBO SETUP
SILVER BULLITT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 09:45 AM   #19
larryt1026

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVER BULLITT View Post
torx is a kind of head for a ratchet ... it looks like a star , same amount of sides as a allen wrench
Ahh I see. I appreciate your help Well I went out to look for a torx 47...I can only find a torx 40..do you think that will suffice?
Old 08-08-2010, 03:13 PM   #20
larryt1026

So I finally replaced my steering wheel a leather 2SS wheel. Feels soooo much better on the hands. Everything went as planned and as explained. However, no one mentioned that annoying stip that resembles those kodak picture films. . They were a pain in the A to put back in!

I just guessed, but you just wrapped it around the wheel, correct? Hopefully everything turned out ok. I'm afraid the airbags won't deploy and that the wheel will come loose..I guess we'll see in the years to come lol...
Old 08-12-2010, 03:49 PM   #21
LosXC451

Drives: 2010 SS SIM w/ RS
Quote:
I did this mod on my Honda Element. Replaced the standard wheel with the Pilot leather wheel and had no issues. I too disconnected the battery first before attempting this mod. Failure to do can cause the bad to go off in your face. Replacement ain't cheap.
I want to replace my 1LT wheel as well with a leather SS wheel but my question that I haven't been able to have answered is whether or not the wheel is plug and play. By this I mean, are there radio controls already there like for the SS? I can't see doing this if the controls are inop. For the Element, and since I had the EX-P model, it was just a matter of pulling the wheel, unpluggin the old connections and connecting the new ones, tighten up the center locking nut or hub, airbag backin place and then using the special tool to tighen the screws on the underside of the wheel and reconnect the battery. Never an issue but again, I want the leather and function and I'd like to have the SS removed since I don't want to perpetrate.
Any answers on the whether all Camaro's are wired for this wheel would help.
just get one from the 2LT, same steering wheel without the SS on it
LosXC451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 04:27 PM   #22
mauricioaglr

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS Agua Blue Metalic
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by VT2CA View Post
Put on a leather SS Wheel with audio controls here's a fuzzy view:

Plan to have dealer program radio for steering wheel controls to be active
Just installed an SS Wheel and added the audio controls that I ordered from gmpartsdirect.com. I read this thread and this other thread http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73511 it helpded out so much, I installed everything in less than 30 minutes, but I had read the threads in detail and went to buy a small flat head screw driver to remove the air bag cover and torx47 bit to remove the steeing wheel.

VT2CA did you get your audio controls programmed already?
mauricioaglr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 04:32 PM   #23
mauricioaglr

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS Agua Blue Metalic
Quote:
I did this mod on my Honda Element. Replaced the standard wheel with the Pilot leather wheel and had no issues. I too disconnected the battery first before attempting this mod. Failure to do can cause the bad to go off in your face. Replacement ain't cheap.
I want to replace my 1LT wheel as well with a leather SS wheel but my question that I haven't been able to have answered is whether or not the wheel is plug and play. By this I mean, are there radio controls already there like for the SS? I can't see doing this if the controls are inop. For the Element, and since I had the EX-P model, it was just a matter of pulling the wheel, unpluggin the old connections and connecting the new ones, tighten up the center locking nut or hub, airbag backin place and then using the special tool to tighen the screws on the underside of the wheel and reconnect the battery. Never an issue but again, I want the leather and function and I'd like to have the SS removed since I don't want to perpetrate.
Any answers on the whether all Camaro's are wired for this wheel would help.
The 1SS does not have audio controls only the 2SS, just like only the 2LT has audio controls. I found an automatic 1SS leather steering wheel on ebay for $120 shipped the audio controls and harness cost me around $60 from gmpartsdirect, check out this thread http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73511

I had found a 2LT leather steering wheel with audio controls on ebay but it had green stiching, it was from a synergy green model.
mauricioaglr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 05:30 PM   #24
chozn4service

Drives: 2016 SS w/2SS A8 Blue Velvet
Yea, I ended up adding the audio controls on my wheel and had it programmed and all was good! I did this in May but later found a leather wheel on Ebay myself for $120 shipped and it had the radio controls on it so all I did was replace one wheel with the other and all was cool.
So nice to have a leather wheel again. Couldn't believe how easy it was to do this mod. This was performed on my 2010 1LTRS that I've since traded for a 2011 2SSRS. Now for someone else to enjoy.....

Last edited by chozn4service; 12-18-2013 at 08:12 PM.
chozn4service is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 07:54 PM   #25
OVERPAR73
2018 Garnet Red ZL1 conve

Drives: 2013 & 2018 ZL1 vert
I have a 2013 ZL1 and I don't see the small holes other wheels have. Does anyone know how to remove the steering wheel off my car. I would like to paint the surround and hydro dip the parts.
Old 07-24-2014, 04:08 PM   #26
USCAMARO14

Drives: 2LS 2014
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVERPAR73 View Post
I have a 2013 ZL1 and I don't see the small holes other wheels have. Does anyone know how to remove the steering wheel off my car. I would like to paint the surround and hydro dip the parts.
There is two hole in the back of the steering wheel. It's a little hard to get to it.
One you can move the plastic around the column and turn the top part of the steering wheel towards the bottom. I just got a piece of thick wire. I got one from a cushion from one of my back seats I had laying around the basement. Cut it, and I bent it in an L shape and that was it. Pretty quick.
Old 07-24-2014, 04:57 PM   #27
ssrs396

Drives: 68 vert 396 13 ls
Allen wrench works great.
ssrs396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 02:29 PM   #28
Bounty600

Drives: 1989 Firebird GTA, 2012 Camaro SS
I just changed my wheel yesterday, an hrs work...turn the wheel upside down and use an allen wrench. Push it through the hole and feel for vertical rod youre intersecting perpendicularly. You want to be on the Inside of this rod and push it outward releasing the airbag. Best of luck!
Attached Images

Bounty600 is offline   Reply With Quote