Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 09-29-2010, 04:58 AM   #267
13lade

Drives: '11 SIM 2ss/rs LS3 #13363 iom seats
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad's 2ss View Post
If I tap into the grey wire and put it on a rocker switch, can I just turn it on whenever I want?
No, all that will do is allow you to turn off the lights whenever the dome lite circuit is on. If you want to be able to turn them on independently, you will need to tap a wire with 12v on whenever the key is turned to on.

If you use a relay, then you can have both activation with dome light as well as toggling with a switch. Either way, if you want to switch it on with something other than the dome light switch, you'll need a 12v line. Luckily i believe there is at least one or two coming out of the BCM so it will not be any harder to tap than the grey wire.
13lade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 05:01 AM   #268
Phase V
Summer

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IOM w/ Black Stripes
Send a message via AIM to Phase V Send a message via Yahoo to Phase V Send a message via Skype™ to Phase V
finished my lights. I used the bolt that already had the grounds on it and T-tapped the grey wire. the grey wire is either 20 or 22 gauge if that helps anyone. Here's mine in IOM

Restoring or need parts for a Chevy. Look no further than Don's East Coast Restorations
Phase V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 09:57 AM   #269
Chad's ZL1
THERAPY

Drives: Red Rock Metallic ZL1
If I put the relay in line with the tap off of either the grey wire or yellow one and then hook the switch up to that as well, will that work as far as letting me either have them come on when the dome light comes and when I want to turn them on with the switch. Also what side is the bcm on and I can just use a standard relay right?
Chad's ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 07:30 AM   #270
13lade

Drives: '11 SIM 2ss/rs LS3 #13363 iom seats
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad's 2ss View Post
If I put the relay in line with the tap off of either the grey wire or yellow one and then hook the switch up to that as well, will that work as far as letting me either have them come on when the dome light comes and when I want to turn them on with the switch. Also what side is the bcm on and I can just use a standard relay right?
The BCM is the thing that the grey wire comes out of. You'll need a SPDT relay(cost a couple bucks on amazon). You'll put the 12v line on the switch before the relay. The normally closed circuit will be inline with the grey wire. When you throw the switch, the relay will open (deactivate) the grey wire circuit, and a the 12v line will be supplying juice t o your lights. Turn off t he switch and it goes back to the grey wire (dome light switch) being in control. You will want to use diodes to be sure you don't back feed into your BCM and cook it.

If this does not make sense, I'll try to draw a circuit diagram... Although I am no EE, so it will probably suck
13lade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 12:41 AM   #271
Ivan @ Southwest Speed

Drives: '15 Z06, '01 NBM SS, '97 SS
Does this help anyone????
Attached Images

Ivan @ Southwest Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 10:39 PM   #272
JustFresh

Drives: 2011 1LT RS M6 Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan @ Southwest Speed View Post
Does this help anyone????
So Ivan,

What your saying is that if i bought the oracle footwell lighting kit from you and i attached my red(positive) wires of my inverter to this magical grey wire then my ccfl's will dim in and out accordingly?

I do not need a secconday power source?
JustFresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 01:32 AM   #273
Ivan @ Southwest Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustFresh View Post
So Ivan,

What your saying is that if i bought the oracle footwell lighting kit from you and i attached my red(positive) wires of my inverter to this magical grey wire then my ccfl's will dim in and out accordingly?

I do not need a secconday power source?
That sir...is exactly what I'm saying. Well done.

What's cool, is they will actually come on manually when you turn your overhead dome light on as well....oooooohhhhh aaaaahhhhh!!!

Call me if you need help...I'll walk ya through it. Takes about 5 minutes to wire it up. Longer to actually mount the tubes.

Ivan
Old 10-03-2010, 01:33 AM   #274
bigsquirrel
My car runs on acorns....

Drives: 2010 SS RS Inferno Orange
I don't think any ccfl has the ability to dim, it will come on and off only. You'll need LED or incandescent lighting to dim.
bigsquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 01:35 AM   #275
Ivan @ Southwest Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsquirrel View Post
I don't think any ccfl has the ability to dim, it will come on and off only. You'll need LED or incandescent lighting to dim.
I install most every set like this. They dim very nicely.

Video on the next install...I call it.
Ivan
Old 10-09-2010, 10:39 AM   #276
skysharker1
Airborne Paratroopers!!!

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS Convertible
Location: Mid-NJ.....13 Year Army Paratrooper. Death from Above!!!
Send a message via AIM to skysharker1 Send a message via Yahoo to skysharker1
I understand that the CCFL's from AAC come with two inverters. Do I need to use them both, or can I remove one and wire the one strip to the other?
skysharker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 02:06 PM   #277
jagan323
I have no life

Drives: 06' Subaru STI, ex-Camaro V6 LLT
I used both inverters for mine, because they have a fuse each. You'd want a fuse per light anyway, otherwise both lights would stop working if the fuse blows.
Old 10-10-2010, 01:26 PM   #278
JustFresh

Drives: 2011 1LT RS M6 Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by skysharker1 View Post
I understand that the CCFL's from AAC come with two inverters. Do I need to use them both, or can I remove one and wire the one strip to the other?
Use both because they are designed to run only one CCFL at a time and only have one available connector for one ccfl

Hope that helps!
JustFresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 02:10 PM   #279
TwoEcho
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS-Imperial Blue
Yeah, so all this reading/searching has my head in a fog. Sorry to ask the question again, but where would I need to tap to get the footwell lighting to work with the door ABL?

TwoEcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 02:22 PM   #280
jennnchuck

Drives: 2010 yellow 2lt/rs
on the passenger side, down by your feet there is a plastic side panel that comes off. in there is a wiring harness, that leads out to the door, in that harness is a purple wire. if you t-tap that wire and any black wire from the same harness you will be tapped into the abl lighting. i will include a picture of it.
Attached Images

jennnchuck is offline   Reply With Quote