Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 10-29-2010, 06:56 PM   #295
TonyNo

Drives: 2016 2SS, SW
Check this post of mine for a SPDT diagram.
Old 10-29-2010, 07:19 PM   #296
Da5h4Rk

Drives: Blk/IOM 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyNo View Post
Check this post of mine for a SPDT diagram.
Yeah, I saw that post, I've read all 12 pages multiple times trying to understand (I am no electrician). Just want to make sure that I do this right so I don't fry anything. I am horrible at reading that headlamp diagram.

Which wire would you suggest I use as the 12v source for the SPDT so I can turn the lights on whenever I want. I'm going to use the grey wire you mentioned for the other source of my SPDT.

I appreciate the help Tony.
Da5h4Rk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 07:25 PM   #297
TonyNo

Where will you be mounting the switch?

You could use the cig lighter/power port line in the console.
Old 10-30-2010, 05:53 AM   #298
Da5h4Rk

Drives: Blk/IOM 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Where will you be mounting the switch?

You could use the cig lighter/power port line in the console.
I'm putting the switch in the center console compartment. I tapped into the cig lighter like u said and connected it to my spdt switch like u suggested for my 12v power (works great). Just gonna tap into the grey wire and connect it to my spdt and I'll be golden. It was a lot easier than I thought it was gonna be. Thanks for the help Tony, I'll post pics soon.

Last edited by Da5h4Rk; 10-30-2010 at 07:13 AM. Reason: IPhone auto correct jacked up a bunch of words.
Da5h4Rk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 09:04 PM   #299
+Lowlife+
My favorite animal steak

Drives: 2011 Red Jewel Tintcoat 2SS RS
The hardest part of the mod is finding the best placement. I kept feeling like it would get kicked.
+Lowlife+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 05:54 PM   #300
PutPut113

Drives: Victory Red 2LT w/ RS
hey everyone, i've been looking through this thread and see that there's been a LOT of awesome work done by you all...awesome stuff!!

i just got my AAC strips in the mail today, and from the sound of everyone's comments - i may need to go out an get a t-tap? can i just go to radio shack or home depot and find this? (sorry for the ignorance, i've never done any electrical work before and wanted to take a stab at this)

my goal is to get these lights to come on with the ambient lights in my 2011 RS. i BELIEVE im looking for a grey wire on the passenger side to t-tap into, and ground on nearby bolts...is this accurate?? from some posts i hear about purple, some pink, and the majority grey. just looking to clear that all up, thanks so much everyone!
PutPut113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 06:00 PM   #301
tonyfred

Drives: 2013 ZL1-Victory Red-Auto
You are correct. The gray wire is the one you want and their are bolts on the side of the console near the front that make an easy ground point. The side of the console pops off so you can run wires from the passenger side.
The harness that the gray wire is in was easier to work with after I unplugged it. Just pull it straight down and you can get to the wire a lot easier.
It isnt that hard of a mod and really looks good.

tonyfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 06:51 PM   #302
JustFresh

Drives: 2011 1LT RS M6 Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by PutPut113 View Post
hey everyone, i've been looking through this thread and see that there's been a LOT of awesome work done by you all...awesome stuff!!

i just got my AAC strips in the mail today, and from the sound of everyone's comments - i may need to go out an get a t-tap? can i just go to radio shack or home depot and find this? (sorry for the ignorance, i've never done any electrical work before and wanted to take a stab at this)

my goal is to get these lights to come on with the ambient lights in my 2011 RS. i BELIEVE im looking for a grey wire on the passenger side to t-tap into, and ground on nearby bolts...is this accurate?? from some posts i hear about purple, some pink, and the majority grey. just looking to clear that all up, thanks so much everyone!
If you want to send me your address in a pm I can mail you a couple t taps if you don't feel like paying for them
JustFresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 07:44 PM   #303
SummoneR
Paul

Drives: '10 2SS/RS M6 "Marauder"
Send a message via Yahoo to SummoneR
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyfred View Post
You are correct. The gray wire is the one you want and their are bolts on the side of the console near the front that make an easy ground point. The side of the console pops off so you can run wires from the passenger side.
The harness that the gray wire is in was easier to work with after I unplugged it. Just pull it straight down and you can get to the wire a lot easier.
It isnt that hard of a mod and really looks good.
The gray wire in the harness you speak of is to connect the lights with the dome light not ABL. ABL is the purple wire on the passenger side I do believe.
Old 01-17-2011, 07:50 PM   #304
TonyNo

Good catch, SummoneR.

Also, the ABL circuit is purple at X6-7 (X6 pin 7) on the BCM.
Old 01-17-2011, 07:54 PM   #305
SummoneR
Paul

Quote:
Good catch, SummoneR.

Thanks TonyNo.

Also PutPut113, if you plan to connect these to your ABL I highly recommend putting a switch inline with them, driving with a bright blue light in your lower peripheral vision might get annoying and you may want to turn them off. Best of luck with your install!
Old 01-18-2011, 03:48 AM   #306
PutPut113

Drives: Victory Red 2LT w/ RS
Quote:
Good catch, SummoneR.

thanks for helping me clear this up, this is what i was getting confused with reading through the threads.

please excuse my ignorance, but im not that good at reading the schematics of the wiring. so in order to hook these into the ABL - i'm going into the passenger side panel, locating a purple wire (im assuming this is the X6-7), and putting a t-tap on that to connect the red wires of the footwell lights, and grounding the black footwell wire to a nearby bolt?

that sound about right? thanks!
PutPut113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 04:47 AM   #307
SummoneR
Paul

Quote:
thanks for helping me clear this up, this is what i was getting confused with reading through the threads.

please excuse my ignorance, but im not that good at reading the schematics of the wiring. so in order to hook these into the ABL - i'm going into the passenger side panel, locating a purple wire (im assuming this is the X6-7), and putting a t-tap on that to connect the red wires of the footwell lights, and grounding the black footwell wire to a nearby bolt?

No, The BCM is in the driver side footwell (up above the pedals). Connector X6 is the Pink plug next to the gray plug which is the plug used for the dome light method.
See the pink connector in this image?

If you want to attach to the ABL follow this post. Which tells you about the ABL connector in the passenger kick panel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennnchuck View Post
on the passenger side, down by your feet there is a plastic side panel that comes off. in there is a wiring harness, that leads out to the door, in that harness is a purple wire. if you t-tap that wire and any black wire from the same harness you will be tapped into the abl lighting. i will include a picture of it.
That is the easiest thing to do, otherwise you can connect it to the BCM ABL wire, which again is on the pink connector under the dash above the pedals.
If you want to connect to the BCM plug X6 wire 7 then find wire 7 on the pink plug.
Use this image to determine which wire is 7

Start counting wires from the top right as if you were looking at the connector unplugged face on. they follow the same sequence as the plug shown above, I am not positive if these connectors have 12 wires total or not, but the concept is the same, but the wire may not end up on the same location of the connector. Meaning if the pink connector only has 10 wires then wire 7 would not be on the corner but one wire in from that.
If you decide to connect to the wire in the passenger side footwell, as the post mentions use any black wire for the ground. If you decide to connect it to the BCM, attach the ground wire to a bolt/screw as shown in post 1.

I hope this helps clear it up.

Last edited by SummoneR; 01-18-2011 at 04:59 AM.
SummoneR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 02:35 AM   #308
SummoneR
Paul

Quote:

BTW no need to excuse anything, it is always best to ask more questions if you don't fully understand something than to make a mistake and really mess something up. Especially if your not use to doing stuff like this. Best of luck on your install!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk!