Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 05-17-2011, 12:28 PM   #449
SummoneR
Paul

Drives: '10 2SS/RS M6 "Marauder"
Send a message via Yahoo to SummoneR
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUS10BMX View Post
I Originally tied into dome light. I now hooked up my switch using 12v power from fuse box. Everything works correctly, but it's back feeding into the dome light when I turn the switch on. I'm using the aac switch that came with my lights. I just want footwells on with switch. Not sure how to get around it.
Is it a SPDT switch? If so you shouldn't have an issue. If not you need to use one. Or install some diodes to keep the current from back feeding.
Old 05-17-2011, 12:40 PM   #450
AUS10BMX

Drives: 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by SummoneR View Post
Is it a SPDT switch? If so you shouldn't have an issue. If not you need to use one. Or install some diodes to keep the current from back feeding.
Its just a normal toggle switch. The wire running from the switch to turn on the lights is tied into where the wires are also getting power from the dome light. So when I turn the switch on its also feeding the dome light. For how I was doing it, it was the only way, and then I realized what was going to happen. How would the other switch work? Thanks for your quick response. Sitting in my car on the lap top haha.
AUS10BMX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 01:04 PM   #451
SummoneR
Paul

Quote:
Its just a normal toggle switch. The wire running from the switch to turn on the lights is tied into where the wires are also getting power from the dome light. So when I turn the switch on its also feeding the dome light. For how I was doing it, it was the only way, and then I realized what was going to happen. How would the other switch work? Thanks for your quick response. Sitting in my car on the lap top haha.
A SPDT switch will provide power from one or the other source. When the switch is in one position it will draw power from the dome light (but only when you flip the dome light switch) when the switch is in the other position it will draw power from the constant 12v source.
Old 05-17-2011, 01:11 PM   #452
SummoneR
Paul

disconnect the power from one source or the other for now until you can install a SPDT switch.
Old 05-17-2011, 01:13 PM   #453
AUS10BMX

Quote:
A SPDT switch will provide power from one or the other source. When the switch is in one position it will draw power from the dome light (but only when you flip the dome light switch) when the switch is in the other position it will draw power from the constant 12v source.
I get what your saying, haha, my head hurts trying to figure this out. I'm just trying to figure out how to do this and how to now wire in from the dome light so the footwells come on like I had it, but now have control with my switch. The 12v source going through the switch into the foot wells is turning on the dome light, because I have the dome light tied into the footwells also.

So would I then just run a wire from where I tied into the dome light, and it will connect to the switch and act like a bridge (so the switch will have one more accesory spot, not just 1) and then when i turn the switch to the other spot, it will use my 12v power and just turn on the footwells?
Old 05-17-2011, 01:24 PM   #454
SummoneR
Paul

You would connect a wire to one side of the switch that would run to where you tie into the dome light power. Then you would run a wire from the constant power source to the other side of the switch. Then connect your positive wire from the lights o the output of the switch. If it is a LED type switch you will need to connect the ground for the LED in the switch.
Old 05-17-2011, 01:34 PM   #455
AUS10BMX

Quote:
You would connect a wire to one side of the switch that would run to where you tie into the dome light power. Then you would run a wire from the constant power source to the other side of the switch. Then connect your positive wire from the lights o the output of the switch. If it is a LED type switch you will need to connect the ground for the LED in the switch.
Awesome, thats all I needed to know! Thanks again for your response. With the way I have my wires laid out now everything will go right together, I'm gonna go buy different switch now.

So when the switch is in the dome light position, everything will work normal, on and off with doors open etc. and the foot wells will be on.

When the switch is in the other position, it will use my 12v source and turn only the footwells on, no dome light.

If thats correct thats exactly what i needed.
Old 05-17-2011, 01:42 PM   #456
SummoneR
Paul

Quote:
Awesome, thats all I needed to know! Thanks again for your response. With the way I have my wires laid out now everything will go right together, I'm gonna go buy different switch now.

So when the switch is in the dome light position, everything will work normal, on and off with doors open etc. and the foot wells will be on.

When the switch is in the other position, it will use my 12v source and turn only the footwells on, no dome light.

If thats correct thats exactly what i needed.
That's how it works, just like that. I believe a switch with LED in it will have a 4th terminal. (ground for the LED)
Old 05-17-2011, 02:06 PM   #457
SummoneR
Paul

This is how I understand it.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf SPDT.pdf (18.5 KB, 191 views)
Old 05-17-2011, 02:29 PM   #458
AUS10BMX

Quote:
This is how I understand it.
Already got it installed, works like a charm! thanks for your help, thats what's so awesome about this site!
Old 05-17-2011, 02:35 PM   #459
SummoneR
Paul

Quote:
Already got it installed, works like a charm! thanks for your help, thats what's so awesome about this site!

That was quick!!

No problem bud! You're welcome. Glad I could help.
Old 05-20-2011, 10:38 PM   #460
Syn3rgyGr33n

Drives: 2012 IOM 2SS/RS Camaro Convertible
Anyone else get a CEL?
Syn3rgyGr33n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 09:22 AM   #461
Funkymaddox

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT/RS
does anyone have a pic of the constant 12V power cable which i could easily use for a "switch included" installation. the big red one from the cigarrette lighter in the middle console seems a little to thick for me. which one did you guys use?
Funkymaddox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 10:41 AM   #462
mbrusco103

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS (M6) 427 Twin Turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkymaddox View Post
does anyone have a pic of the constant 12V power cable which i could easily use for a "switch included" installation. the big red one from the cigarrette lighter in the middle console seems a little to thick for me. which one did you guys use?
that red one isnt constant its only on when the key is in the ingnition and turned 2 clicks .. if thats what you want then you can follow that red wire and it turns into a smaller green wire under that trim piece

2011 Camaro 2SS/RS ERL 427 M6 TT
-AGP Twin Turbo 55/57 .83ar | ERL 427ci | Squash Fuel System | Stainless Works Chambered 3" | Mcleod RXT | Factory Hurst Short Throw | Black Forgestar F14s | CTS V 6 Piston Brembo | VIS AMS Carbon Fiber Hood | Anvil Carbon Fiber Spoiler
mbrusco103 is offline   Reply With Quote