Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 12-15-2012, 10:57 PM   #1
Caddyroger

Drives: 2011 RJT Camaro LT2 RS auto shift
Amp wiring

I have a 2011 2LT/RS with the BA system. I am having some problems with my sound. I have the following installed. A Pioneer AVIC Z140BH radio, JL XD400/4 amp, 63/4 Infinity kappa front speakers, 6x9 3 way Infinity Kappa rear speakers. I have the ******** FARK harness doing the connections.
I keep losing the right rear speakers. This was happening with the BA speakers also.
So far what have done,new rear speakers ( was going to change them any way ), tried a new amp. This mourning connected the rear speakers bypassing the FARK harness rear speakers connection. No change with the operation. Tomorrow if it not raining I am going to try changing the RCA cables see what happens.If it does not work then it probably the FARK harness. I deal with Steve then.
Now for my question if I decide to bypass the FARK completely is this the way it wired?
TN means Tan. Are there 2 tan wire in the connector?

X3 connector with the UGA BA amp

pin wire function
1 4 TN right rear low level audio signal (-)
2 12 D-BU right rear low level audio signal (+)
3 5 BN left rear low level audio signal (-)
4 13 BN/WH left rear low level audio signal (+)
5 7 D-GN left front low level audio signal (-)
6 15 TN left front low level audio signal (+)
7 6 OR/Bk right front low level audio signal (-)
8 14 L-GN/wh right front low level audio signal (+)
9 1 wh remote turn on
Old 12-16-2012, 12:08 AM   #2
Decibel JJ
Car nut

Drives: Tahoe Z71, Race cars
When does it cut out?

R.I.P. Evan .. A true Friend
Decibel JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 12:32 AM   #3
Caddyroger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decibel JJ View Post
When does it cut out?

If I remove the cable and reconnect it it will work but there is a lot of static then the right rear will quit after 5 minutes. It not turn on a again.
Old 12-16-2012, 04:35 PM   #4
Decibel JJ
Car nut

Drives: Tahoe Z71, Race cars
Try flipping the amp's L & R inputs to see if it switches sides.

Try unplugging the harness and looking closely at the pins to see if any are bent.

R.I.P. Evan .. A true Friend
Decibel JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 05:18 PM   #5
Caddyroger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decibel JJ View Post
Try flipping the amp's L & R inputs to see if it switches sides.

Try unplugging the harness and looking closely at the pins to see if any are bent.
I have all ready did that. Tuesday it suppose to clear so I'll take the head unit out and check it out.
Old 12-16-2012, 05:28 PM   #6
parkerss

Drives: 2011 SS/RS
Sounds like "maybe" bad wiring and when you turn it up the wire cant handle it?
Old 12-16-2012, 05:37 PM   #7
Caddyroger

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkerss View Post
The wire from the head is low level so should not be the factor. I put some 16g from the amp to the rear speakers and the same problem. Tues day I am going to pull the head unit and make sure nothing is shorting out there. I got some 20 ft cables so I'll try them. If they work Then it has to be the FARK harness. I know ******** as good products but some times 1 item might be bad.
I am just about to rip out every thing and go back to the stock unit.
Old 12-16-2012, 06:33 PM   #8
parkerss

Drives: 2011 SS/RS
When you go to diagnose the problem... Pull the head unit and the cd out,than run some new rc cables outside the car back to the amps and plug them in. Than you will know if you have some bad rc cables
Old 12-16-2012, 08:07 PM   #9
CWI
Helping Build America

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS,LS3 2013 Duramax 3500HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddyroger View Post
I have a 2011 2LT/RS with the BA system. I am having some problems with my sound. I have the following installed. A Pioneer AVIC Z140BH radio, JL XD400/4 amp, 63/4 Infinity kappa front speakers, 6x9 3 way Infinity Kappa rear speakers. I have the ******** FARK harness doing the connections.
I keep losing the right rear speakers. This was happening with the BA speakers also. So far what have done,new rear speakers ( was going to change them any way ), tried a new amp.
You said it did this with the BA speakers. Was that while stock and then you changed amps and it still does it? If so that would be in the factory wiring. You are not being clear on what your setup was when it started.

You tried a new amp before or after the problem started? Who installed the head unit?
Old 12-16-2012, 09:57 PM   #10
Caddyroger

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWI View Post
You said it did this with the BA speakers. Was that while stock and then you changed amps and it still does it? If so that would be in the factory wiring. You are not being clear on what your setup was when it started.

You tried a new amp before or after the problem started? Who installed the head unit?
First thing I am about 40% deaf in both ears. This could been happening just after I installed the head unit. My grand son asked what causing the noise from the back. Since I did not hear it I thought it might have been the radio station. After I install the amp I notice the right rear speaker was not working. If I turned the radio volume up loud you can hear music but it has crackling sound to it. So I thought it was a loose wire some place. I checked all of the wiring and found the FARK speaker connector was not fully seated. Made it seat ok and tried the radio again. It played fine for about 10 mins or so. The right rear speaker was not working again. I then take out the amp check the wire connections on the amp, Every thing is tight and wired correctly. Reinstalled the amp amd all 4 speakers played correct. 10 mins later rr speaker quits working again. I was going to replace the rear speakers in the spring but was thinking may be it was a bad speaker
Replaced the rear speakers with Infinity Kappa. Once again the rr played for about 10 mins. I went to Cartoys and got another amp to try it. Again the rr played about 10 and quit. Took the amp back. Saturday in a light afternoon rain I ran all new wiring from the amp to the rear speakers. Same old crap with the rr speaker. Today in a light rain I connected the Ba amp and the BA speakers back. Both the rear speakers are very low at high volume. I also tried different set of RCA cables between the FARK harness and amp
Tuesday it not suppose to rain so I am going to take the head unit out and run some long cables that I have laying around and try that. If the rr quits playing I'll know it is the head unit. If the rr works ok then it is the factory wiring or the fark harness is bad.
Old 12-16-2012, 11:01 PM   #11
CWI
Helping Build America

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS,LS3 2013 Duramax 3500HD
If I understand correctly then, your grandson noticed somethig after you installed the head unit. If you have been troubleshooting everything else, you may find a loose wire from the head unit or maybe a pinched wire that may be short circuiting causing a shut down of that channel. Something else you can do is tap a speaker into the factory wiring just before the FARK harness.
Old 12-17-2012, 12:43 AM   #12
Caddyroger

Quote:
If I understand correctly then, your grandson noticed somethig after you installed the head unit. If you have been troubleshooting everything else, you may find a loose wire from the head unit or maybe a pinched wire that may be short circuiting causing a shut down of that channel. Something else you can do is tap a speaker into the factory wiring just before the FARK harness.
That what I was going to do Tuesday. I going to check for shorting and loose wire. If they are ok I was going to try running some long cables that I have from the radio to the amp and testing that out. If that works I'll tap into the Camaro wiring harness.
Old 12-26-2012, 02:19 PM   #13
Caddyroger

Quote:
Thanks it was the wiring behind the radio. Just as soon as I pulled the radio out the RR speaker started working. I cut and shorten the wiring and rearranged the RCA outputs. Now every thing is working ok. I got the amp set up to my liking.
Old 12-26-2012, 02:22 PM   #14
Caddyroger

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkerss View Post
It was bad wiring. I shorten the wiring and rearrange the RCA out puts. Every thing is ok now.