Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-18-2009, 01:36 PM   #57
TLSTWIN
Romans10:9-13

Drives: /\yes, this is me/\
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtcwby View Post
I bought the car in Canal Winchester, OH at Bob McDorman Chevrolet.
It was the first SS in Ohio.
No it wasn't....
Old 05-19-2009, 07:05 PM   #58
PoleCat2SSRS2010
R6P Marketing Lab Rat

Drives: sometimes
Inspection requirement for GFX buyers

[QUOTE=BalogUK;497695]i've got the GFX install packet in front of me and by the looks of it- whoever did the install cut some maaaajor corners...

the parts list for installing the front splitter consists of:
1 Splitter
2 Clamps
8 Expansion Rivets
4 Permanent aluminum rivets
2 U-nuts
drilling of holes to mount splitter is required.
and the preinstalled adhesives which requires 24hrs to fully cure and requires the car NOT be driven during the curing process.
QUOTE]

It looks like the bottom line here is that all buyers of cars with the ground effects installed will have to inspect for the use of the the above hardware.
This seems to make sense.

Thanks.
Old 05-19-2009, 07:16 PM   #59
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
Hmmm, whoever installed the GFX kit should have noticed something wrong. I call Fail on the kit installer...
Old 05-19-2009, 07:40 PM   #60
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
All i want to say is thanks to the OP for letting us know.
I really like the chin spoiler, the rest is not to wow for me but it still looks great, i hope the aftermarket will have an identical chin spoiler for cheaper.
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 08:14 PM   #61
wyocamaro

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS, 2-2007 Silverados
Anyone having to wait on te GFX due to a "packaging problem" in shipping from GM? Dealer says had to wait on it since they could not ship. GFX was getting damaged in transit, so stoppoed all and repackaged. Now I have to wait a few more days!!
Old 05-19-2009, 08:36 PM   #62
mtcwby
High on "The Camaro Life"

Drives: 2010 2SS, IOM, LS3, Vortech, LG cam
Send a message via AIM to mtcwby
[QUOTE=PoleCat2SSRS2010;502035]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BalogUK View Post
i've got the GFX install packet in front of me and by the looks of it- whoever did the install cut some maaaajor corners...

the parts list for installing the front splitter consists of:
1 Splitter
2 Clamps
8 Expansion Rivets
4 Permanent aluminum rivets
2 U-nuts
drilling of holes to mount splitter is required.
and the preinstalled adhesives which requires 24hrs to fully cure and requires the car NOT be driven during the curing process.
QUOTE]

It looks like the bottom line here is that all buyers of cars with the ground effects installed will have to inspect for the use of the the above hardware.
This seems to make sense.

Thanks.

No it wasn't a mistake on the part of the installer. They used all of the above parts. There are plenty of screws, clips, etc holding the chin
piece on. The problem lies with the fact that the clips are on the corners just in front of the front wheel wells, and the screws are on the underside all across by the rubber air dam. The 3M tape is used all across the front, directly below the lower grille. The GFX was installed for 5 days before I was able to fly to Ohio to get the car, so it had plenty of time to cure. The wind took the front down until it was rubbing on the ground. If it wasn't for the clips in the corners and fasteners on the underside, the whole piece would have completely been ripped off. This is definitely a recall, I'm in CO and a dealer in Denver is the one that turned it in and is going to replace it when the new one comes in. Whenever that might be.
Old 05-19-2009, 08:36 PM   #63
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyocamaro View Post
Anyone having to wait on te GFX due to a "packaging problem" in shipping from GM? Dealer says had to wait on it since they could not ship. GFX was getting damaged in transit, so stoppoed all and repackaged. Now I have to wait a few more days!!
Another woops. Can you imagine all the 1000's of things that could go wrong. Now GM has to repackage the GFX... How would you know that packaging was gonna fail...

Well, the good new is they've found the problem and are fixing it...

Bad new is you have to wait.

Sorry bro.
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 08:41 PM   #64
BalogUK
THE architect.

Drives: 2SS/RS M6
[QUOTE=mtcwby;502319]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoleCat2SSRS2010 View Post

No it wasn't a mistake on the part of the installer. They used all of the above parts. There are plenty of screws, clips, etc holding the chin
piece on. The problem lies with the fact that the clips are on the corners just in front of the front wheel wells, and the screws are on the underside all across by the rubber air dam. The 3M tape is used all across the front, directly below the lower grille. The GFX was installed for 5 days before I was able to fly to Ohio to get the car, so it had plenty of time to cure. The wind took the front down until it was rubbing on the ground. If it wasn't for the clips in the corners and fasteners on the underside, the whole piece would have completely been ripped off. This is definitely a recall, I'm in CO and a dealer in Denver is the one that turned it in and is going to replace it when the new one comes in. Whenever that might be.
good to know man! so this is definitely the gen 1 version cause you've got all the parts located per the diagram... guess im glad i'm still at 1100 haha...
#34122 EMPTIED, AT YARD ON 8/26/09; Delivered 9/07/09
MODS: Borla ATAK Cat-Back GFX (#140378), 35% Ceramic all-around, CAI, Inc. Intake w/ Scoop, Hurst Short Throw, Heritage Grille, GM Dove Tail, Laser Interceptor Triple v8.9, Passport Max, Pfadt ZL Stage 2
BalogUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 08:58 PM   #65
mtcwby
High on "The Camaro Life"

Drives: 2010 2SS, IOM, LS3, Vortech, LG cam
Send a message via AIM to mtcwby
[QUOTE=BalogUK;502336]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtcwby View Post

good to know man! so this is definitely the gen 1 version cause you've got all the parts located per the diagram... guess im glad i'm still at 1100 haha...
Too bad they didn't look at how they attached the older Generation GFX
pkgs on the Camaros, They used to use clips all across the front end.
Old 05-20-2009, 07:51 PM   #66
meissen
Founder - Michigan FBody

Drives: 1994 Camaro LT1, 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Another confirmed case of the ground effects ripping off in Eastpointe. That's two first hand that I know of just in the Metro Detroit area.
meissen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 01:37 PM   #67
JohnnyCamaro

Drives: 98 Camaro
This is JohnnyCamaro AKA John Cox from Chevy Accessories. I want to ensure there is accurate info out there for everyone.

1. There is no recall for the Camaro Ground Effects regarding the front splitter
2. There has been an issue regarding these kits due to a dealer installation issue. While some postings are correct that 3M tape is used, and must be cured for 24 hrs before full install, there are also several rivets. There are 16 rivets on an SS and 12 rivets on a base that will hold this in place.
3. It is important to ensure that the dealer installed these rivets and that they did so properly. The dealer has to drill and use rivets into the fascia. When doing this correctly as described in the installation instructions, there are no issues.
A training video and more communication is being done to ensure that the dealer is aware of the issue and installing properly.

Thanks,

JohnnyCamaro
JohnnyCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 01:41 PM   #68
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Thanks very much for the clarification.

Much appreciated!
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 02:09 PM   #69
BalogUK
THE architect.

Drives: 2SS/RS M6
excellent clarification- thanks John!

-whew!
#34122 EMPTIED, AT YARD ON 8/26/09; Delivered 9/07/09
MODS: Borla ATAK Cat-Back GFX (#140378), 35% Ceramic all-around, CAI, Inc. Intake w/ Scoop, Hurst Short Throw, Heritage Grille, GM Dove Tail, Laser Interceptor Triple v8.9, Passport Max, Pfadt ZL Stage 2
BalogUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 02:24 PM   #70
Spaceballone

Drives: 1992 Custom RS, 2006 Civic
Talking Paint my G-FX

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCamaro View Post
This is JohnnyCamaro AKA John Cox from Chevy Accessories. I want to ensure there is accurate info out there for everyone.

1. There is no recall for the Camaro Ground Effects regarding the front splitter
2. There has been an issue regarding these kits due to a dealer installation issue. While some postings are correct that 3M tape is used, and must be cured for 24 hrs before full install, there are also several rivets. There are 16 rivets on an SS and 12 rivets on a base that will hold this in place.
3. It is important to ensure that the dealer installed these rivets and that they did so properly. The dealer has to drill and use rivets into the fascia. When doing this correctly as described in the installation instructions, there are no issues.
A training video and more communication is being done to ensure that the dealer is aware of the issue and installing properly.

Thanks,

JohnnyCamaro
Great, yes thanks for the info. Now my next question is i see other Camaro's with the body color on the G-FX package. Are the dealers capable of doing this or are people taking these to a professional body shop to get done?
Spaceballone is offline   Reply With Quote