Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Marketplace > Members Classifieds - Parts for sale or wanted > V8 - Engine, Exhaust, Bolt-Ons, Tuning Equipment

Old 06-19-2014, 11:39 AM   #43
redhotcandy

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by L99CAMA2011 View Post
Yes but few dealerships would actually allow that condition and not void you just have to find them. Also headers actually reduce stress from the internal of the engine blocks meaning less likely to blow seals and so on just need the right tune that's all. Restrictive stock manifolds should void warranty since they don't allow the engine to breath sufficiently and is more likely to cause leaks.
Interesting...thanks.
redhotcandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 01:18 PM   #44
DroptopZ
I'm your huckleberry...

Drives: '10 2SS/RS, '88 IROC vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhotcandy View Post
Interesting...thanks.
Second the headers. You won't get the same sound without... but it won't be horrible. My car picked up noticable sound with the headers (though I did them BEFORE the exhaust). If it matters, I tuned my car just months after buying it. If you go to a reputable tuner, there is really very little to worry about. I've driven problem free for 4 years.

However, it boils down to finding someone reputable and making sure they stick behind their work. Chevy doesn't just 'void your warrantee' for getting headers and a tune... but if they can show that the mods you did CONTRIBUTED to the problem, then they can choose not to honor the warrantee claim.

Another option that would net you power and sound (just a little less power) would be shorty headers. These are bolt-on, do not require a tune and shouldn't cause dealer problems because the ECU hasn't been modified. You will pick up less HP, but still a noticable gain (both sound and power). Lots of folks in strict SMOG states or who are worried about warrantee go that way.

I also second that the NPP kit sounds amazing. You can get a kit that controls it with the push of a button too so you can have it quiet at cruise or permanently loud. If you want to run stealth suddenly, you just push the button... it's like having cutouts ("What loud exhaust, officer? I have mufflers, they're working, and as you can hear being stopped behind me, it's relatively quiet!" lol). Mild to Wild, I think it's called--I know my dad has it on his ZR1.

Whatever you decide to do, you will be happy. There's nothing you can really do to make the car sound worse... unless you're concerned with drone (I HATE drone). If drone bothers you, go with the NPP setup, Solo, Corsa or Magnaflow's no-drone system. Personaly, I don't like it when I step on the throttle at 65 in 6th and it sounds like a Honda is next to me.

DroptopZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 01:29 PM   #45
redhotcandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DroptopZ View Post
Second the headers. You won't get the same sound without... but it won't be horrible. My car picked up noticable sound with the headers (though I did them BEFORE the exhaust). If it matters, I tuned my car just months after buying it. If you go to a reputable tuner, there is really very little to worry about. I've driven problem free for 4 years.

However, it boils down to finding someone reputable and making sure they stick behind their work. Chevy doesn't just 'void your warrantee' for getting headers and a tune... but if they can show that the mods you did CONTRIBUTED to the problem, then they can choose not to honor the warrantee claim.

Another option that would net you power and sound (just a little less power) would be shorty headers. These are bolt-on, do not require a tune and shouldn't cause dealer problems because the ECU hasn't been modified. You will pick up less HP, but still a noticable gain (both sound and power). Lots of folks in strict SMOG states or who are worried about warrantee go that way.

I also second that the NPP kit sounds amazing. You can get a kit that controls it with the push of a button too so you can have it quiet at cruise or permanently loud. If you want to run stealth suddenly, you just push the button... it's like having cutouts ("What loud exhaust, officer? I have mufflers, they're working, and as you can hear being stopped behind me, it's relatively quiet!" lol). Mild to Wild, I think it's called--I know my dad has it on his ZR1.

Whatever you decide to do, you will be happy. There's nothing you can really do to make the car sound worse... unless you're concerned with drone (I HATE drone). If drone bothers you, go with the NPP setup, Solo, Corsa or Magnaflow's no-drone system. Personaly, I don't like it when I step on the throttle at 65 in 6th and it sounds like a Honda is next to me.

Awesome information. Thanks so much for this!
Old 06-19-2014, 01:56 PM   #46
djpelosi

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
I'm selling my old exhaust system (BBK shorty headers + cat delete pipes already welded) that sounds amazing. Here's a sound clip:
. Let me know if you're interested! Selling the setup for $400 shipped.
Bo White Ported Throttle Body
Hurst Short Throw Shifter
Best Time: 12.43 @ 114, 1.99 60' on stock wheels and stock tires
Build Thread
djpelosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 02:28 PM   #47
Yezzir600

Drives: CGM 2SS/RS
Xpipe and muffler delete!!!
Yezzir600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 06:02 PM   #48
rwhxk3
S1N1STR

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS
I put Flowmaster American Thunder catback on my SS. It has a great sound to it and not too much drone in the cab. It's also affordable. I got mine new on eBay for $900. Easy to install with a buddy and a couple beers. Check flowmaster.com for videos on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rwhxk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 02:17 PM   #49
redhotcandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhxk3 View Post
I put Flowmaster American Thunder catback on my SS. It has a great sound to it and not too much drone in the cab. It's also affordable. I got mine new on eBay for $900. Easy to install with a buddy and a couple beers. Check flowmaster.com for videos on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, I will check it out!
Old 06-25-2014, 04:38 AM   #50
camarocruzer

Drives: White 2014 2SS/RS Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Comfort View Post
Just to clarify, NPP is the factory dual mode quad tip option - it's not a brand like Borla.
As for the rear valance / diffuser, it's a standard GM part available for ~$100. (22815277 Facia) It is held on by 6 screws and some plastic tabs.
Here are pictures of the new part just before and after install. (pre muffler install)
how does that work with a ground effects kit?
camarocruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 02:22 PM   #51
camarocruzer

Drives: White 2014 2SS/RS Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by DROCK1LE View Post
Thoughts on this? I called Stainless - they said it shouldn't be a problem with inspections......they only look at the cats.

But, it's a good stopgap to not get headers which req a tune.....
camarocruzer is offline   Reply With Quote