Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 12-10-2017, 10:05 PM   #1
Miss Delgado

Drives: Toyota Prius
Question If you could buy another Camaro?

My son loves his 2015 Z28. We want to keep it in the family but we want another Camaro. My husband wants the last year ACR Viper. I like the brand new 2018 ZL1 1LE but the harsh ride could be challenging on Cruise Nights. My son recommends the 2017 ZL1 then add wing, dive planes (it's called the Aero Package?).

Please give us some ideas. Thanks everyone!
Miss Delgado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 10:15 PM   #2
dgreenberg

Drives: ‘14 Z/28 #352, ‘16 ACR,
If you could buy another Camaro?

I may be biased but I love my ACR! Hands down one of the most fun and rewarding cars to drive at the limit! Plus the look so bad ass!

I’m debating getting rid of my 2014 Z/28 when my ZL1 1LE shows up sometime in February or March!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by dgreenberg; 12-10-2017 at 10:16 PM. Reason: Added picture
dgreenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 12:52 AM   #3
Miss Delgado

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgreenberg View Post
I may be biased but I love my ACR! Hands down one of the most fun and rewarding cars to drive at the limit! Plus the look so bad ass!

I’m debating getting rid of my 2014 Z/28 when my ZL1 1LE shows up sometime in February or March!
ACR Viper ... Z28 ... 2018 ZL1-1LE ... which is your favorite and why?
Old 12-11-2017, 06:22 AM   #4
1970judge

Drives: 2015 Z/28, 2007 HHR
The only Camaro I briefly considered was an A10 ZL1...but I wanted a Z from day 1, and I stuck to my guns. If I could have a do over, I still doubt I change my mind.
1970judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 07:25 AM   #5
Smokin19

Drives: 19' ZL1 A10, w/pdr
A lot of people like to mod their cars for various reasons. Just look at the mods most of the SS LS-3 crowd like to do. Current threads delving into the ZL1 and 1LE differences show there is an opinion for just about any Camaro out there.

With that in mind, I have to say after having bought mine already modded by Vengeance Racing I can't imagine having to want anymore power for street use. There is something about the raw power of that 427 that comes without having to SC it. The power is there no matter where you are on the pedal instantly. Having a NA engine that runs at 160 degrees in almost any air temp and light on it's feet is just a blast to drive.

So to answer the question, NO I don't need to look for another Camaro this guy is just plain happy to have the most awesome Camaro I have always wanted.
BTR Stg II cam w/ 38% fuel lobe, ARH 2" headers into 3" w/cats, Kong X port, Weapon X triple ht exchangers, NW 103, Rotofab big gulp, DSX lowside, TCM tune, BMR Lockout, Mustang dyno 720 rwhp, 634 rwtq on 93 pump.
Smokin19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 07:33 AM   #6
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Just put the LT4 ,big wing and dive plates on the Prius.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 07:45 AM   #7
IOMZL1

Drives: 2015 Z/28 | 2017 Viper ACR Extreme
There is nothing like the Viper ACR but if you are worried about the ride of the 1LE you won’t want an ACR either. It is fine for me but not for everyone. The ZL1 might be a good compromise but I wouldn’t add the aero, might as well go for the 1LE if you want to do that. Ride of the ACR and 1LE would be fine on smooth roads but any sudden bumps can be harsh.

dgreenburg - I’m considering adding a Z/28 why are you considering selling yours? I like the 1LE but not sure about a supercharger.

dougshelbyengineering.com

www.facebook.com/dougshelbyengineering

www.instagram.com/dougshelbyengineering
IOMZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 09:07 AM   #8
Stormcloak
slower than you

Drives: 2012 C6 Z06
"the harsh ride could be challenging on Cruise Nights"

What in gods name am I reading right now.
Old 12-11-2017, 09:29 AM   #9
dgreenberg

If you could buy another Camaro?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Delgado View Post
ACR Viper ... Z28 ... 2018 ZL1-1LE ... which is your favorite and why?

I don’t have my ZL1 1LE. It’s TPW is 2/12/18 so it’s going to be a while before I get to drive that one. The Z/28 is a better street car in my opinion. More comfortable, 4 seats, better A/C, leg room, head room, etc. The ride height is higher allowing it to easily get in and out of driveways unlike the ACR. It has shorter gearing for hot rodding around light to light and the 427 sounds GODLY and is an amazing piece of machinery. No complaints about the ride. But I’m used to aggressive street cars and race cars.

But when headed to the track I choose the ACR over the Z every time. It truly is the closest you can get to a race car while still being able to drive it on the street if you choose. Problem is with all the extreme aero bits installed and the track ride height/alignment, the car becomes quite interesting to maneuver in and out of driveways, parking spots, over bumps, etc. I chose to leave these setting alone, and leave the aero bits on instead of trying to raise the car and take off the splitter/diffuser every weekend. Also it’s actually cheaper to run per weekend than the Z/28 at the track, and is about 8-10 seconds faster at any given track. It uses less brakes, tires, and fuel.

The ACR has double adjustable shocks so you can actually soften them up really easily when driving it on the street. It is very comfortable riding on the street, give its at the proper ride height so you don’t rip off the splitter and diffusers!

Old 12-11-2017, 09:34 AM   #10
dgreenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by IOMZL1 View Post
There is nothing like the Viper ACR but if you are worried about the ride of the 1LE you won’t want an ACR either. It is fine for me but not for everyone. The ZL1 might be a good compromise but I wouldn’t add the aero, might as well go for the 1LE if you want to do that. Ride of the ACR and 1LE would be fine on smooth roads but any sudden bumps can be harsh.

dgreenburg - I’m considering adding a Z/28 why are you considering selling yours? I like the 1LE but not sure about a supercharger.

I have a feeling that once I drive the ZL1 1LE I wont even want to drive the Z/28 anymore. I’d feel bad having such an awesome car the Z and not appreciating it and driving it like it should be.

Old 12-11-2017, 04:08 PM   #11
Synner

Drives: cars
The ACR is a bit more of a handful to drive at the limit but is amazing. ZL1 1LE is a bit more driver friendly but still harsh. To me the cruise night scene and track rat requirements are vastly different criteria so you need to prioritize. ZL1 would be the most docile and all around drivers car. ACR and ZL1 1LE are more hardcore. I hate the weight these cars have and any future track car will be much closer to 3k vs 4k lbs.

If I didn't move constantly my car would be gutted and the interior sitting in a storage room to shed weight. I would not get a ZL1 and then add the massive aero, at that point you want the full suspension package that was designed as a system to work together.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 07:29 PM   #12
68camaroz28

Drives: 68 Z28, 69 Z28, 2015 Z28
If your planning on keeping this new acquisition in the family like your son's Z/28 I'd agree with your husband and the viper. My bet is it will do well in the future as numbers were kept low and it is an awesome car. Plus it adds diversity to your family cars.
But geez, no matter which direction you go there is nothing wrong, only personal choice. What a great dilemma to have close to Christmas.
68camaroz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 08:03 PM   #13
Miss Delgado

We are leaning to buy the 2018 ZL1-1LE because it could be more a daily driver, if we choose to drive it a lot as the ACR Viper seems like more of a challenge if we wanted to drive out of state for example. Either way, it would be a great small collection: 2015 Z28, 2018 ZL1-1LE and 2017 ACR Viper.
Old 12-11-2017, 08:10 PM   #14
dgreenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synner View Post
The ACR is a bit more of a handful to drive at the limit but is amazing. ZL1 1LE is a bit more driver friendly but still harsh. To me the cruise night scene and track rat requirements are vastly different criteria so you need to prioritize. ZL1 would be the most docile and all around drivers car. ACR and ZL1 1LE are more hardcore. I hate the weight these cars have and any future track car will be much closer to 3k vs 4k lbs.

If I didn't move constantly my car would be gutted and the interior sitting in a storage room to shed weight. I would not get a ZL1 and then add the massive aero, at that point you want the full suspension package that was designed as a system to work together.

Have you driven an ACR on track before?