Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 03-06-2012, 05:42 PM   #29
STYLE66
Account Suspended

Drives: 2SS
looks good. i did all 4 pillars but i used the 3m sticky fiber. yours looks way better then mine. you have that gloss to yours as mine looks flat
STYLE66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 05:49 PM   #30
sene

Drives: 2011 Summit White 2LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ubrimah View Post
so why is the suncoast zl1 hood $1,200? That one is only $500...
I think 1200 is for the whole package (hood, skirts, spoiler, etc.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyr0b0y View Post
I think it would be pretty close to what Hennesseygrv did with his car. You would be laying CF over the center section, then sand down along the lines in the hood and paint it so you have a nice even line dividing the CF and paint.
Would you lay the carbon fiber outside of the lines of the section (kind of coloring outside of the lines) and just sand dow the portions outside of the lines to a smooth finish? Is Hennesseygrv a member on here? I couldn't find any posts for that username.
sene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 05:52 PM   #31
ubrimah
Oreo

Drives: Summit White LT/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by sene View Post
I think 1200 is for the whole package (hood, skirts, spoiler, etc.)
http://www.phastekperformance.com/Su...style-hood.htm

It only shows the hood

ubrimah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 05:53 PM   #32
pyr0b0y
need....more....hp

Drives: The Neighbor Hater
same idea as this guy

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=181080

Mast Motorsports Built LS3 Stroker 418, IPS GT35R Twin Turbos, Exedy GTO4XD Twin Disc Clutch, Aeromotive A1000 Eliminator Stealth Fuel Pump, AEM Meth Injection, DSS 1400hp Axels, BC Coilovers, Pfadt & BMR Suspension, Hawk HPS Pads, Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Hurst Shifter, Custom Roll Cage by Blu808, T3 Ports, 22" Custom Concave Mesh Rims
pyr0b0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 06:04 PM   #33
sene

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubrimah View Post
Phastek is always over priced

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyr0b0y View Post
Cool, thanks for the link.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:07 PM   #34
sene

Looks like they layed carbon fiber cloth over the whole panel and then painted over it.
Old 03-07-2012, 01:36 AM   #35
njmike

Drives: Inferno orange Vert
Wow awesome job!
Old 03-07-2012, 02:00 AM   #36
christianmotox

Drives: ( . )( . )
Quote:
Originally Posted by njmike View Post
Wow awesome job!
Thanks men
Old 03-07-2012, 03:22 AM   #37
pierre777
HT5 COTW 9/3/2012

Drives: Cyber Bullet
Send a message via Skype™ to pierre777
DIY is priceless i know how you feel "PROUD" ,great job love it , i'm confused if i should buy a hood with CF center and vents like the RK blister one or apply CF glossy vinyl stripes on the center of my hood ,any ideas which looks better?
Old 03-07-2012, 10:15 AM   #38
zkdreads

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by christianmotox View Post
Cool, do you have any pics?
i did my pillars(all 4)
side compartment panels(dont know what to call those)
and my center console(which was a BITCH to do)

zkdreads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 10:50 AM   #39
Muscle SS
All blackkk

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3
Great job
Old 03-07-2012, 10:50 AM   #40
Camaro45thAE

Drives: '91 GMC Syclone & '12 Camaro 45TH
Very good job for having 0 experience using CF/FG/resin....I work with fiberglass and carbon fiber for a living. Overlaying CF is one of the most simple ways of introduction into the word of FG fabrication.

Something things that might help for next time:

3M spray adhesive is your best friend. After you prep the part, you can VERY LIGHTLY (READ...VERY LIGHTLY) spray 3M to help hold down the cloth to the part. Same thing when you start doing molds. Just go slow, because once you lay the cloth, you are committed...there is no pulling it back up without having to clean and restart again.

EPOXY or VINYL ESTER resin for parts. Stay away from Poly. Poly will yellow much faster over time. Like most anything do your research on resins specifically made for the industry. UV is the biggest enemy of resins and is the cause of yellowing. Good resins have UV protectant in it. It also helps to lay some good quality clear paint over the parts to help protect it as most paints today on the market have UV protectants as well.

For when you get into molds and vac infusion.... do your first run of part(s) in FG. #1, it'll help with the mold and make it less green (brand new molds sometimes dont give up parts as easily as seasoned molds), and #2 you'll burn less money while you learn the process of vac infusion. Trust me, there is nothing worse that doing up a part and watching it go wrong in front of you (or something hidden you cant see) and then literally having to throw $$ in the garbage. CF is not cheap, nor is resin. FG is much cheaper to test on before you pull a CF part.

CF is fun... its sort of an expensive hobby, but the payoff is huge when you can standback and look at something that you basically fabricated by hand. Gives a sense of accomplishment, especially when people notice

Heres my last few projects I worked on. Right now Im getting ready to fabricate a custom front splitter and side skirts for my Syclone.

CF Intercooler cover for the GMC Syclone/Typhoon - These were done in a mold with vac infusion. Left is a 2x2 twill weave, right is standard weave.

Same piece, but this was a test for doing parts in red texalium pulled directly from the mold and uncut (good molds produce nice shiny parts ) Since its a dyed fabric, it makes it VERY hard to contour to corners. You can see the relief cuts we had to make to force the cloth into the mold and lay flat. You can also see the various flaws in the surface although it was fixable with prep and doing a layer of clear gel coat.

Radiator shroud for my Syclone. Look close and you can see I did the piece as a V-weave pattern. The weave goes one way on one side, an the opposite when on the other at the center point.

Closer pic, but this actually was a test piece.

Radio delete CF panel with boost controller in my Syclone. Im actually finally now getting around to adding a digital trans temp gauge and a few switches on the left side of the panel.

GMC Syclone #237
2012 Camaro 2LT Anniversary Edition
Order No. PTXV9B
8.31.2011 - Born! TPW 8/29
HowTune- DIY Automotive Network
Camaro45thAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 11:04 AM   #41
Maro99

Drives: Heel toe express..
Quote:
Originally Posted by zkdreads View Post
i did my pillars(all 4)
side compartment panels(dont know what to call those)
and my center console(which was a BITCH to do)

That looks great .. But thats just CF looking vinyl the others are doing real CF. Nice pics none the less.
Old 03-07-2012, 12:09 PM   #42
zkdreads

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maro99 View Post
That looks great .. But thats just CF looking vinyl the others are doing real CF. Nice pics none the less.
exactly! wrap was like $30 for all of the cf and like 10 feet left over lol. ANYBODY doing CF i think it ALL looks great
zkdreads is offline   Reply With Quote