Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-21-2009, 02:17 PM   #15
ArcAngel

Drives: 07 Black Cobalt SS/SC
Send a message via AIM to ArcAngel
I actually have this on my Cobalt SS/SC its sweeeet works flawless and two summers ago it cut 2 hours of my trip to williamsburg VA 2 hours!!
Old 03-21-2009, 03:04 PM   #16
StarkyLuv
Future 5th Gen Owner

Drives: 2006 Chevy Equinox AWD/LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroScotty View Post
If you go off course - it corrects, say if you run into a detour.

Much more info at www.onstar.com

And if you think you want it LONGER than the free one year, tell your dealer - you can save a little more by buying extra years when you pick up the car, and roll it into your financing.
It auto-corrects. That's it, I'm keeping it. Thanks, Scott!

It's weird that this "nav isn't offered!" mini-controversy actually has a better solution than a "true" nav!
StarkyLuv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 03:43 PM   #17
GothamCamaro
Then you're gonna love me

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro Tumbler RS
I have a Garmin, think it's a 800 series, it's great on my current car but I don't want any wires or adding something to clutter my Camaro's dash.

I'm on board with Onstar, alot of great features and don't have to worry about much with it running.

Scotty, do I have to set something up prior to coming to pick up my Camaro so I can use it for the trip home? Just curious. I'll have my Garmin with me for the trip up North just in case.

Anyone that knows of a place that is making the Concept Shifter for the new Camaro. (Auto specifically) Please let me know.

Order# NDTMVP Ordered 10/23/08.
2000 on 5/21/09... It begins.....
4B00 on 6/26/09... In transit to the Cave
5000 on 7/6/09 it waits for my arrival!
1000000 on 7/10/09 The Tumbler is in the Cave!
GothamCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 03:52 PM   #18
StarkyLuv
Future 5th Gen Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by GothamCamaro View Post
I have a Garmin, think it's a 800 series, it's great on my current car but I don't want any wires or adding something to clutter my Camaro's dash.

I'm on board with Onstar, alot of great features and don't have to worry about much with it running.

Scotty, do I have to set something up prior to coming to pick up my Camaro so I can use it for the trip home? Just curious. I'll have my Garmin with me for the trip up North just in case.
I'm trying to remember how I activated OnStar last time. I can't remember if it was already on or I had to do something to turn it on....
Old 03-21-2009, 05:48 PM   #19
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarkyLuv View Post
I'm keeping this option, I think. Like Number 3 said, I like that you don't have to type anything. Just call OnStar, give them an address and they download the directions to your car.

But let me try the thing first. It'll be the first thing I do before I drive off the lot. I'll have it guide me home.

I wonder if it auto-adjusts when you go off course like other nav systems?
If you leave your route, a voice comes across, "you have left the planned route. Would you like directions to get back to your planned route? Please say yes or no" When you say yes, it recalculates and downloads voice commands and DIC directions to get you back on course. Very cool.
Old 03-21-2009, 06:03 PM   #20
cam2fst4u

Drives: 08 SS trailblazer,08 Silverado
Send a message via Yahoo to cam2fst4u
Thank god.. I used the onstar nav once a few years back and it was just a recording of the person saying the directions. I am glad they have this feature sounds very cool
cam2fst4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 06:14 PM   #21
1fastdog

Drives: 2002 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
If you leave your route, a voice comes across, "you have left the planned route. Would you like directions to get back to your planned route? Please say yes or no" When you say yes, it recalculates and downloads voice commands and DIC directions to get you back on course. Very cool.
The Directions and Connections from OnStar is, IMO, very good. Most built in Nav units don't do it for me.

My wife's Malibu has the OnStar package, and no problems whatsoever.

On the fly and the ability to transfer a routing form Mapquest is very good stuff.

I think most folks will be impressed with pushing the button, giving the address or description such as the nearest "whatever" store or restaurant and getting the answer. Miss the instruction, you receive a re-route. Want to cancel the directions? Push the button and say "Cancel route". Very handy, very simple.

When I drive I want to drive, not type.
Old 03-21-2009, 07:33 PM   #22
joepitt

Drives: 2016 2SS Camaro, 2017 Acura
Onstar activation and availability

Quote:
I'm trying to remember how I activated OnStar last time. I can't remember if it was already on or I had to do something to turn it on....
OnStar was activated by my dealer when I got my Enclave. OnStar with turn-by-turn is on all the Camaros. I believe OnStar is on all cars sold in the U.S. They say turn-by-turn is available on selected models. I think it is pretty much all the cars now. I have a friend that got an HHR recently and it has it. GM owns part of OnStar so they want all their cars to have all the functions. The basic plan is $199/year and turn-by-turn adds $100/year. They will bill you monthly or give a discount if you pay the whole year at once.

OnStar works on the CDMA Cell phone technology and includes hands free calling. You can add it to your Verizon Family plan if you want. This may be an option for those not getting the C and C package and use Verizon.

the down side of OnStar is if you are in an area without CDMA cell coverage you can't contact them to initiate the turn-by-turn. This is more of an issue in remote areas, especially in the midwest and western states. A mobil GPS works everywhere (it knows about).
Dinah Shore, 1952: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGZvQoPxhNs
joepitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 11:54 PM   #23
StarkyLuv
Future 5th Gen Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam2fst4u View Post
Thank god.. I used the onstar nav once a few years back and it was just a recording of the person saying the directions. I am glad they have this feature sounds very cool
That's because you had the Series 6 digital package in your car (like mine) and not Series 7 and it's not upgradeable. Yeah, the OnStar operator would dictate the directions, record them and send them to you. You have to listen to a recording. This is a massive upgrade.
Old 03-22-2009, 12:06 AM   #24
cyberbro

Drives: Not a Camaro at this time
Quote:
I know a lot of us wish the Camaro came with a "true" navigation system (I'm quite used to using my iPhone for that, actually), but this Directions and Connections solution actually seems pretty elegant.

I had no idea that the VISUAL direction will pop up in the DIC. So you get audio and visual cues just like any other nav system, just not the big, dedicated nav screen. I think I'll keep this option after that first free year is up!
I was thinking it will be fine, as long as you are not a heavy nav user.
2000 9/22/15 (Order changed)

2016 2SS With Auto, NPP, MRC, Nav, Split 5 Spoke Bright Aluminum.
cyberbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 05:34 PM   #25
HTWLSS
Camaro Disciple

Drives: Camaro, Chevelle, Corvette...
Send a message via MSN to HTWLSS
Quote:
It's weird that this "nav isn't offered!" mini-controversy actually has a better solution than a "true" nav!
This is what many have been trying to tell the doom and gloomers for months now, but they wouldn't listen.

http://modernclassicsauto.com
'68 Chevelle Malibu Coupe; '67 Chevelle Wagon; '99 Convertible Camaro SS #0069; '07 Z06; '06 Silverado Crew Cab 2500 4x4 dually; '14 Sonic RS Hatchback
HTWLSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 05:56 PM   #26
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
I like aftermarket Magellan that my girl has, but the system doesn't look like a component of the car. Also, dialing the location is always a pain. I think that OnStar may be a superior alternative.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote