Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 05-10-2023, 04:48 PM   #71
bsn

Drives: 2013 ZL1
I would tell Meineke you have paid way to much for their mistakes and they can either pay for someone else of your choosing to fix it or you'll be taking them to small claims court.
There is no possible way they would ever lay their hands on my vehicle again, even if I had to pay out of my pocket to get it fixed. While they had the tank out I would have them check to see if the parts you paid for that weren't bad to begin with were even replaced.
bsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2023, 09:52 PM   #72
PaulsSS

Drives: 15SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camarosmith View Post
Ok so I took it to a local mechanic with the longest history in business and with nothing but many excellent reviews.

He checked the car and saw that it would run good and then saw it run bad afterwards.

He opened the valve cover on the passenger side and saw I had a broken valve spring on cylinder 6 and replaced all the valve springs on the passenger side as well as the valve cover gasket while he was there and that resolved the issue.

When I went to pick up the car they showed me the broken valve spring and it was broken near it's tip about only 1 coil down just like I imagined it must have been if that were the case as I found one person online who said they were having this issue and that is what it ended up being it was a different model car also they had but still. I figured if it was a broken valve spring it would be more like what I experienced the last time I had a broken valve spring with this car which it was always bad sounding and never ran good with it. not intermittent.

What is also odd in this case is I for a while when I had the round Delphi ignition coils on the car was consistently at that point getting a misfire that went from cylinder 6 to cylinder 2 and occasional just a general random misfire code. It moved back to cylinder 6 when I installed the new square OEM coil packs on the car removing the round Delphi coils

So glad to have the car back again after all this madness with no gas leaking when I fill it up anymore after Meineke worked on it and had to access the fuel tank like 8 or 9 times and my gas gauges are all working again still and the car is no longer misfiring intermittently when I go to start it up.

The car's a 2010 but damn near brand new also now with all these parts I replaced on it in this process LOL
I told you a while back the 1ast thing to check after replacing plugs wires on a misfire code is the VALVE SPRINGS. Did you not read my post?

Oh yeah 1 more thing please go back to the dealer and thank them for all the BS they caused you after they ran the crap out of your car breaking a valve springs. Have any idea how I know all this? I've seen this happen it so many times its a given, take the V8 Camaro to the dealer its gonna get the crap kicked out of it.
PaulsSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 07:54 PM   #73
Camarosmith

Drives: Chevrolet
Alright so they fixed it now. It ended up being the gasket that seals the pumps on top of the tank.

The amount of times they dropped the rear and had to open the clamp securing the fuel pumps wore out the rubber gasket and it was leaking from there.

If it was be working on it. I woulda changed that rubber gasket out anyways while I was there so I didn't have to come back to it again later, you would think they would have known?

Anyways that's what it was and it's no longer leaking running down the tank when I fuel up and it's no longer leaking once it is full and no longer seeping from the tank.

Ridicules!

I hear ya PaulsSS and thanks for the input, I already knew that it could also potentially be the valve springs early on as well and I also did have a previous valve spring break while I was driving this car at like 80 or 90k miles that the same dealership identified for me and fixed in the past
that time it broke I knew there was a problem it sounded terrible and wasn't intermittent on a the right cold morning when the humidity and barometric pressure were just right and the one spring with the broken tip just happened to be in the right position to start with a misfire.

When it first started happening too in all my Googling of the issue I did stumble across a forum where someone with a complete different model car said that there similar issues ended up being a broken valve spring too so that stuck in my mind.

Also in this case I wasn't personally getting into that kinda work on the car I was leaving that to the shops like the Chevrolet dealership and Meineke. That was the whole plan, I could do the work myself but save myself the time and hassle by having the Chevy Dealership do it even if I gotta pay a little more money for it, WRONG!

I would been 1000 times better off just taking the time to do the work myself and ended up having to anyways, and many times over due to troubleshooting the issues.

It ended up being like a huge expensive process of elimination, I knew after all that Meineke did there were only two things left that it could be were the valve spring and the wiring harness.

The third mechanic that I took it too after Meineke with the nothing but excellent reputation in reviews and the longest history and is one of the few shops around that does dyno testing and whatnot accurately went for the next thing it could possibly be were the valve springs, I was never really thinking it was the wiring harness either in this case although I knew and others here pointed out that it was also a factor , early on I knew it was on the list of things to check however

This local Meineke actually has some of the best reviews around also and I used them at times in the past and they were great, I came to find out that they recently changed management so this explains the difference in service. In the end I am much less frustrated with Meineke in this case.

In hindsight and looking back on this situation now the ones I am pissed off at in all of this are American Chevrolet located at the address: 4742 McHenry Ave, Modesto, CA 95356 Where this madness all started was with them.

Now what happened with them, is in the past I had an issue with them when I went to them when I asked them to replace my brake pads they wanted to take 3 weeks and that time I think they were joyriding my car and just using it as a daily driver for those 3 weeks it was taking them to do the brakes and the whole time the guy was saying " yeah I'm waiting on those tillet bolts I forgot I need tillet bolts for the back rotors cause they said I also needed to replace the back rotors and I had them do it thinking they would replace them with the stock OEM Brembo made in Italy rotors, but no they used some garbage rotors essentially downgrading my rear rotors I was probably better off with my older ones. I bought new OEM Brembo ones again I'm gonna put on but that was my first issue with this place and they fired that clown it seemed also cause I never saw him there when I went back either.

Then after that my experiences with them were fairly straight forward , the expected delay for them to order parts but they did fairly good all and all after that.

Then I had a valve seal break and I'll say they even went over the top on there service this time when they fixed that for me and the price was also reasonable and they even washed my car when they returned it to me very nice I would say they gave over the top service on this previous visit there.

Then this most recent visit where I brought them the car for these basic things the heater hose replace spark plugs and spark plug wires is where I had issues with this service rep.

This guy was a total clown as well and he was a younger kid also, what I am noticing is the first clown I had issues with working there with the breaks was also a younger kid and he gave off the same kinda deuche vibes anyways.

First off let's start with they quoted my at $750 for changing the heater hose , spark plugs and spark plug wires. that I needed to replace as it was for sure leaking when I called them and told them about 4 days in advance when I set the appointment and when I brought them my car.

I told them that was a fair estimate and I approved it.

Then I'm expecting to have my car done in like 4 hours tops especially since I booked the appointment in advance you would think they would have all the parts available for that procedure right? If they had brains in their heads but no they clearly do not. You would also think a Chevrolet Dealership might also just have the parts to fix and work on Chevy Camaros but no they don't and never have in the past, they always gotta special order every part every visit.

They end up having the car for 6 Days....

They were telling me that they were waiting on the heater hose they had to order and are waiting for it to arrive.

Then they said it was all gonna cost $2150 for the spark plugs , spark plug wires and heater hose when the heater hose arrived.

And see that heater hose I asked them to just replace that clearly had an obvious hole in it that I was aware of and needed to replace somehow in this guys mind translated to " I want a coolant system diagnostic " and he told me he had to do it cause how did I know it wasn't leaking somewhere else?

I told him No! I didn't ask for a coolant system diagnostic I asked them to replace the heater hose that had the hole in it that they should have had ready when I brought them the car if they needed to order it cause I clearly told them then that it needed to be replaced!

Then he went from it was gonna cost $2150 for all of that to it's now gonna cost $1150 for all of that and do I approve of it

I obviously declined and brought him back down to reality reminding him that that doesn't sound like the $750 we originally agreed upon for all this, which was already fairly steep but dealership prices whatever, sure.

So I told him don't worry about the heater hose I just want my car back it's been 6 days just give me my car back I am coming to get it!

I get down there and he goes " Let's get you outta here! " and insists I pay them them the total of $650 first before they bring the car out to me.

I pay them and a Santa Clause lookin clown of a mechanic in coveralls drives the car out to me misfiring! Then he gets outta the car still running and misfiring and goes "Chyeaah!" and waltzes off.

My first thoughts going down there to pick up the car is to first check and see that it doesn't have a check engine light lit up cause I somehow was expecting that and sure enough it did when I got it back. I already knew in advance!

Either this Chevy Dealership has just changed their entire approach to being a complete bunch of cutthroat corrupt dishonest greedy jackasses or this particular service rep I was dealing with was just another bad apple, I really don't know

One thing I do know in all of this however And here is the bottom line in all of this.

The car NEVER was intermittently misfiring at startup or misfiring ever at all until I brought the car to Chevy Dealership , American Chevrolet

They also had the car for 6 days....

That is plenty of time to have either caused or created this issue and not acceptable when the work like I mentioned should only take 4 hours tops. really no more than 2 hours in reality for a Chevrolet dealership and that may be pushing it even or should be.

Thanks to American Express however they protected me from those fraudsters and refunded my money for them breaking my car and attempting to charge me for it.

I payed them a visit as I have in the past from time to time to yell at them in person a bit more after all of this including there service manager and this particular service rep I was dealing with.

He mentioned they have been having a lotta fun dealing with BAR and BBB whom I let know about all of this as well.

They are the ones to blame, beyond that I blame myself for not just saving myself the time and grief by doing the work myself. but kinda the whole thing here is I'm not a professional mechanic and although I'm not a professional mechanic I seem to have more knowledge and experience than most actual working mechanics. I don't have my own shop I got a jack and 4 harbor freight "reliable" jack stands, I need a lift or a pit or some more serious jacks and jack stands to do this kinda work and I don't have time either I fix computers for a living and am extremely busy with that 24/7 365 which is why you should be able to take your car to a professional mechanic that works at the dealership that manufactures and sells the same car and not have to deal with all this nonsense even if you gotta pay extra and I don't mean extra as in $1350 dollars higher then the original estimate after taking 6 days to replace spark plugs and spark plug wires and a heater hose all a sudden when no circumstances changed upon the original work estimate to even justify the increase in cost over the original estimate.

Someone brings me a working computer. I don't return it to them broken and act like nothing happened.

Someone brings me a broken computer and I return it to them fixed just as they asked it to be fixed or I don't get paid!

If I break that persons computer in my attempts to repair it which I never do but if I did, guess what? I have to pay!

This is how the real world operates!

Time to wake up to reality all you jackass "Professional Mechanics" out there!

Last edited by Camarosmith; 06-21-2023 at 10:13 PM.
Camarosmith is offline   Reply With Quote