Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-26-2020, 11:26 AM   #1
Greenhornet2

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS LS3 Whipple
Offset diff bushings

Just thought i would share this as it took 4 times R/R to get it right. My biggest problem. I installed an LPW diff cover. The offset bushings cause the cover to hit the frame above the rear diff bushing. Nothing i could do other than grind a relief in the cover and grind the lip flat on the frame. This gave me just enough to not hit hopefully. I can't see it... but i'm hoping. The torque should be pulling down on the rear so in theory it won't be moving up only pulling down. We'll see.
Whipple 2.9 CAI ID1050x injectors ZL1 Pump JRE FPCM JMS Voltage booster JRE Rough Idle blower cam BTR .660 springs CHE trunnion kit 1 7/8 Speed Engineering Borla Atak JRE scoop 1.5" lowering springs BMR trailing arms and toe links Cradle inserts 704WHP 603WTQ 93 octane
Greenhornet2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 11:43 AM   #2
Black_SS10
SomeguyK

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS
Odd. I never had that problem when I installed my Hendrix offset bushings. I also have a LPW cover. Did you grid the rib next to the rear bushing?
TMS 427, Dart iron Block, Forged assembly, Frankenstien heads, AGP TT 62/62 BB turbo's, AGP/Fore triple fuel system, Tilton clutch, Holley 1 7/8 shorties, Technostalgia tail lights,Oracle, Aeroforce, MGW shifter,Flowmaster, Pegasus subframe bushings,BMR trailing & toe arms,Z28 UCA bushings,Zl1 rear sway bar,Prothane,BMR,Goodridge brake lines,Ridetech HQ coilovers,3.91,Trutrac,billet caps,DSS axles,HE offest,built TR6060,1LE diffuser,Havoc spoiler,SSclones,20in MRR 017, Pirelli P Zero, Nitto NT555RII

More to come.
Black_SS10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 11:50 AM   #3
Black_SS10
SomeguyK

In this thread someone had to grind their cover. The new LPW covers should be already notched. Mine was.

https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=145925
TMS 427, Dart iron Block, Forged assembly, Frankenstien heads, AGP TT 62/62 BB turbo's, AGP/Fore triple fuel system, Tilton clutch, Holley 1 7/8 shorties, Technostalgia tail lights,Oracle, Aeroforce, MGW shifter,Flowmaster, Pegasus subframe bushings,BMR trailing & toe arms,Z28 UCA bushings,Zl1 rear sway bar,Prothane,BMR,Goodridge brake lines,Ridetech HQ coilovers,3.91,Trutrac,billet caps,DSS axles,HE offest,built TR6060,1LE diffuser,Havoc spoiler,SSclones,20in MRR 017, Pirelli P Zero, Nitto NT555RII

More to come.
Old 01-26-2020, 12:34 PM   #4
Greenhornet2

No the rib in that thread wasn't a problem. My problem was the little L rib from the cover to the diff bushing mount. The rib in the thread you attached it very short, the rib on mine extended further towards the rear of the car and it wasn't allowing the diff to go high enough. Looks like a they've change the design a little bit a couple times. It would be fine with the regular bushings.
Whipple 2.9 CAI ID1050x injectors ZL1 Pump JRE FPCM JMS Voltage booster JRE Rough Idle blower cam BTR .660 springs CHE trunnion kit 1 7/8 Speed Engineering Borla Atak JRE scoop 1.5" lowering springs BMR trailing arms and toe links Cradle inserts 704WHP 603WTQ 93 octane
Old 01-26-2020, 12:39 PM   #5
Black_SS10
SomeguyK

Did you buy a new or used one? I've had 2 LPW covers and had no issues.

More to come.
Old 01-26-2020, 01:55 PM   #6
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenhornet2 View Post
Just thought i would share this as it took 4 times R/R to get it right. My biggest problem. I installed an LPW diff cover. The offset bushings cause the cover to hit the frame above the rear diff bushing. Nothing i could do other than grind a relief in the cover and grind the lip flat on the frame. This gave me just enough to not hit hopefully. I can't see it... but i'm hoping. The torque should be pulling down on the rear so in theory it won't be moving up only pulling down. We'll see.
I might be wrong for this car but typically a diff will rise UP under load. As if trying to ‘climb’ the ring gear. Being fixed with half shafts, I’m not certain.

A truck diff but same principle.

https://youtu.be/20K-KmEv2xo
Old 01-26-2020, 02:55 PM   #7
Greenhornet2

Its brand new from LPW. It definitely looks different than the one in the other thread. Dunno what yours looks like SS. The was no possible way i could get the holes close enough in the rear. When i took it down i could see the mark it was making in the cover. Maybe my diff brackets were naturally higher than yours lol.
Moto, i mean the rear of the diff. The front would try to lift which i figure will make the rear drop as its a twist action trying to spin the diff. Dunno maybe the whole thing tries to climb. Hopefully it doesn't knock around back there. If it does i'm waiting for a lift next time. Doing this on the ground sucks.
Old 01-26-2020, 03:05 PM   #8
Black_SS10
SomeguyK

Maybe I should check mine. Lol. I didn't have much trouble getting mine back in after installing the offset bushings. I did use a lift. It was a tight fit with the offsets, but it went right in with a little persuasion.

More to come.
Old 01-26-2020, 04:59 PM   #9
Greenhornet2

Yea once i ground the cover down it went in no problem. Took the second install to realize i was definitely hitting which was throwing everything off
Old 01-26-2020, 07:47 PM   #10
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenhornet2 View Post
Its brand new from LPW. It definitely looks different than the one in the other thread. Dunno what yours looks like SS. The was no possible way i could get the holes close enough in the rear. When i took it down i could see the mark it was making in the cover. Maybe my diff brackets were naturally higher than yours lol.
Moto, i mean the rear of the diff. The front would try to lift which i figure will make the rear drop as its a twist action trying to spin the diff. Dunno maybe the whole thing tries to climb. Hopefully it doesn't knock around back there. If it does i'm waiting for a lift next time. Doing this on the ground sucks.
Oh, got it. Yeah, I’d say the back of the diff goes down.
Old 01-27-2020, 08:36 AM   #11
gtstorey

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS2,L99, LSA SC
I'm waiting on a LPW cover right now from Dyno Steve. He indicated that they have been undergoing a redesign, but didn't say what the details of the change are.
gtstorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 10:47 AM   #12
Greenhornet2

I mean, that backstrap from the cover to the mounting bushing is beefy on mine compared to the other picture on the other thread. But it doesn't work with offset diff bushings I had to grind a decent portion off. If you are using the regular bushings you will be fine. I'll get a picture of my cover on here soon.
Old 01-27-2020, 08:35 PM   #13
Greenhornet2

Here's the pictures of what i had to grind. Tried to get pictures of how close it is installed but the was just no way to get a picture that looked like anything. All good now have about 1/8 inch clearance.
Attached Images

Old 01-27-2020, 08:40 PM   #14
Black_SS10
SomeguyK

Wowzers! Yea, I didn't have a problem with mine. The cover I installed didnt hit anything. I removed and replaced the diff a few times now. That's crazy that you had to cut yours like that. When I throw my car on the lift to install the revshift trans mount insert I will look at mine. I wonder if it was a batch of incorrect castings.

More to come.