Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 08-06-2012, 06:11 PM   #1
jbotta

Drives: Camaro ZL1
ANY THOUGHTS ON THE DIABLO TRINITY T 1000 TUNER

Thinking of buying the tuner, I track car so for warranty i like that you can tune back factory, any thoughts before i buy, thanks joe
jbotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 06:13 PM   #2
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbotta View Post
Thinking of buying the tuner, I track car so for warranty i like that you can tune back factory, any thoughts before i buy, thanks joe

FYI ... They can still see the other tunes, there is a log file of the flashes.
Old 08-06-2012, 06:19 PM   #3
ModBargains.com

Drives: Widebody 2013 Mustang GT
Technically a dealer cannot void warranty unless an aftermarket part has caused the immediate failure or another part. IE, if you put an aftermarket radio in, and it's caused a problem with the wiring, where it's shorted out, they will not warranty that particular part, mainly because it's something that has been changed. I've yet to see an issue with that tuner, so I'm sure you're pretty good and set with that if you ask me.
ModBargains.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 06:27 PM   #4
jbotta

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post
FYI ... They can still see the other tunes, there is a log file of the flashes.
thanks sligshot, so you think bad idea, i like the other features the tuner comes with, my dealer ship is pretty cool about mods, like tune and cold air intake , dam warranty is keeping me from just those two things, dammm what to do
Old 08-06-2012, 06:31 PM   #5
jbotta

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModBargains.com View Post
Technically a dealer cannot void warranty unless an aftermarket part has caused the immediate failure or another part. IE, if you put an aftermarket radio in, and it's caused a problem with the wiring, where it's shorted out, they will not warranty that particular part, mainly because it's something that has been changed. I've yet to see an issue with that tuner, so I'm sure you're pretty good and set with that if you ask me.
thanks for info,
Old 08-06-2012, 07:49 PM   #6
SlingShot

Quote:
The dealer doesn't give you a warranty, GM does ... And I hate to say it but when folks talk about warranty they couldn't give a crap about nickle and dime stuff like radios, wipers, lights ... It's the drive train they are concerned about and should be. It's very dangerous of you to tell folks it's no problem to tune your car because the tuning device has no issues.
Old 08-06-2012, 07:52 PM   #7
SlingShot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbotta View Post
thanks sligshot, so you think bad idea, i like the other features the tuner comes with, my dealer ship is pretty cool about mods, like tune and cold air intake , dam warranty is keeping me from just those two things, dammm what to do
It's not up to the dealer on major repairs any more. ALL major repairs have to have GM authorization. But it's your car and your an adult capable of making an adult decision. Just remember you can't hide a tune anymore.
Old 08-06-2012, 09:13 PM   #8
jbotta

Quote:
It's not up to the dealer on major repairs any more. ALL major repairs have to have GM authorization. But it's your car and your an adult capable of making an adult decision. Just remember you can't hide a tune anymore.
10 4 slingshot thanks for input
Old 08-07-2012, 09:55 AM   #9
ModBargains.com

Drives: Widebody 2013 Mustang GT
Quote:
The dealer doesn't give you a warranty, GM does ... And I hate to say it but when folks talk about warranty they couldn't give a crap about nickle and dime stuff like radios, wipers, lights ... It's the drive train they are concerned about and should be. It's very dangerous of you to tell folks it's no problem to tune your car because the tuning device has no issues.
Do some light reading on the Magnuson and Moss Warranty act. The last few cars I've had, fully modified and I have yet to have any problems with my warranties, even fully tuned, catless with headers, full exhaust, suspension, wheels intake, and too much more to list, but none of which have been an issue. Usually if a dealer even brings up the fact that there are aftermarket parts, just saying Magnuson and Moss Warranty act usually shuts them up. If you feel uncomfortable with tuners and you'd like some back up in order to make sure that a dealer would be comfortable, why not just ask them then? That's your best bet.
ModBargains.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 12:26 PM   #10
Pgoldston

Drives: 1999 camaro
Quote:
Do some light reading on the Magnuson and Moss Warranty act. The last few cars I've had, fully modified and I have yet to have any problems with my warranties, even fully tuned, catless with headers, full exhaust, suspension, wheels intake, and too much more to list, but none of which have been an issue. Usually if a dealer even brings up the fact that there are aftermarket parts, just saying Magnuson and Moss Warranty act usually shuts them up. If you feel uncomfortable with tuners and you'd like some back up in order to make sure that a dealer would be comfortable, why not just ask them then? That's your best bet.
I have read the Mag act several times. Only problem is when GM puts directly in the warranty that any change to the tune will void it, which they do, they dont have to prove anything. You are signing a document saying you will comply with it. As well, have you heard of anything call arbitration? Its a nice little tactic that Dealers/Manufactures like to use to see how long you can keep paying your lawyers. If you cant pay your lawyer, how big of a fight can you really put up?
Old 08-07-2012, 04:42 PM   #11
hognutz

Drives: 2013 ZL1
How many talking to this topic have actualy have been denied waranty?

I had a diablo tune when I roached my tranny in my 2008 corvette and a new tranny was installed under waranty.

The tune was still physically on the car as well. The GM engineer admited it was a defect in the trans.

I would really like to see real world experience on this becaue I had the oposite that people talk about. the rep came out and apporved the repair.

I am sure there is somebody out there who has had the opposite but too many people post on this IMO that have not been through it.

All of the new cars I have bought have never had a major engine issue yet but every car I have ever owned has been tuned and had waranty work done on the car.
2013 ZL1 -sold
2007 Z06- sold
2014 Chrysler 300
2011 Duramax 8" lift, deleted tuned
hognutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 05:45 PM   #12
SlingShot

Quote:
Originally Posted by hognutz View Post
How many talking to this topic have actualy have been denied waranty?

I had a diablo tune when I roached my tranny in my 2008 corvette and a new tranny was installed under waranty.

The tune was still physically on the car as well. The GM engineer admited it was a defect in the trans.

I would really like to see real world experience on this becaue I had the oposite that people talk about. the rep came out and apporved the repair.

I am sure there is somebody out there who has had the opposite but too many people post on this IMO that have not been through it.

All of the new cars I have bought have never had a major engine issue yet but every car I have ever owned has been tuned and had waranty work done on the car.
You are missing the point. It's a risk someone must be willing to make. Since the restructure of GM they have been cracking down, and holding customers to the terms of the warranty.

The problem I have, is when sponsors come on here spouting about the MMWA like it's going to protect and fix everything. The thing is, that's just not the truth and is very irresponsible. My challenge to any sponsor is, if you really believe what you are pushing just to make a sale, back up your words by promising to pay the tab on any denied warranty work based on a product they have sold.

The type of warranty GM has is a Written-Limited. Under this type of warranty it is up to the consumer to abide by the terms just as much as the manufacture. The MMWA is there to protect both parties, and not just the consumer.

The only thing GM has to prove to decline a warranty repair, is that the consumer broke the terms of the warranty. An example of this would be to alter the software that controls the engine operation.
Old 08-07-2012, 06:02 PM   #13
hognutz

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
You are missing the point. It's a risk someone must be willing to make. Since the restructure of GM they have been cracking down, and holding customers to the terms of the warranty.

The problem I have, is when sponsors come on here spouting about the MMWA like it's going to protect and fix everything. The thing is, that's just not the truth and is very irresponsible. My challenge to any sponsor is, if you really believe what you are pushing just to make a sale, back up your words by promising to pay the tab on any denied warranty work based on a product they have sold.

The type of warranty GM has is a Written-Limited. Under this type of warranty it is up to the consumer to abide by the terms just as much as the manufacture. The MMWA is there to protect both parties, and not just the consumer.

The only thing GM has to prove to decline a warranty repair, is that the consumer broke the terms of the warranty. An example of this would be to alter the software that controls the engine operation.
No I am not missing the point I was just asking if anybody had physically lost there waranty over say a diablo tuner or off teh shelf tune like that. trying to figure out reality over conjecture.

It is not okay to even ask the question? People told me it would do it back in 2008 and there was rep involvement and the whole nine yards and it did not. Times may have changed though.
2013 ZL1 -sold
2007 Z06- sold
2014 Chrysler 300
2011 Duramax 8" lift, deleted tuned
hognutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 06:23 PM   #14
C5RocksC5
Banned

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:

This is what people don't seem to understand. It is like any other contract you sign, you break from the contract, you pay the price. Manufacturers have gotten very smart. Some of us are lucky. We have dealers that are willing to "overlook" the small warranty-voiding mods but when it comes to big repairs such as drivetrain work, the manufacturer is the one who ultimately pays the big bill so if manufacturer wants to validate the repair expense and asks the dealer to confirm the car is still 100% stock to approve or deny the warranty repair, good for them. I would do the same in their shoes. I tune my car, I expect the drivetrain warranty is gone......UNLESS the problem is a known and documented issue (TSB, etc). Otherwise, I don't know about you guys but I don't have the concience or $ or time to fight corporate lawyers.
C5RocksC5 is offline   Reply With Quote