Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-13-2012, 10:05 AM   #1
SSCamaro644

Drives: 2012 2SS Camaro 6spd
ls3? l99?

hey all. im new here and just bought my first camaro this week. im new to the domestic scene and have TONS of questions. i was an import enthusiast for along time, more specifically a nissan Z enthusiast. anyways ive been trying to find the best set of headers for the money and have been seeing alot of referenses to the l99 motor. im really not sure what that means or if i have if. is there anyway i can tell and is it a benefit to having it or not. sorry for the newb question. just wanna get the most out of my SS. thanks!
SSCamaro644 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 10:08 AM   #2
shootir
Ventura Co. Camaro Club

Drives: 2012 Supercharged 2SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSCamaro644 View Post
hey all. im new here and just bought my first camaro this week. im new to the domestic scene and have TONS of questions. i was an import enthusiast for along time, more specifically a nissan Z enthusiast. anyways ive been trying to find the best set of headers for the money and have been seeing alot of referenses to the l99 motor. im really not sure what that means or if i have if. is there anyway i can tell and is it a benefit to having it or not. sorry for the newb question. just wanna get the most out of my SS. thanks!
The LS3 motor comes with the Manual 6 speed transmission

The L99 motor comes with the automatic transmission.
shootir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 10:10 AM   #3
flyby

Drives: 2010 Silver SS
What he said.

LS3 = manual transmission
L99 = automatic transmission
flyby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 10:11 AM   #4
blazzin1

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS R6P
Welcome to the Camaro5 family! Dang, they beat me to the LS3 vs. L99 explanation!!! But the best set of headers (for the money) in my opinion, are probably the Texas Speed 304 Stainless headers, or the new "Stainless Power" line of headers from Stainless Works. Just be advised, all long tube headers will require a tune to be most effective (and to not throw a check engine light (CEL)). That tune will void your entire powertrain warranty!!!
blazzin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 10:25 AM   #5
SSCamaro644

okay thanks for clearing all that up guys. i have a 6spd so thank answers my question. as far as the headers go, well thats too bad. i really want to go with some long tubes and a good mid pipe but im not interested in voiding my warranty at this point. maybe ill just have to go with a good cai and catback for now. and thanks for the warm welcome!
Old 01-13-2012, 10:33 AM   #6
blazzin1

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS R6P
Quote:
okay thanks for clearing all that up guys. i have a 6spd so thank answers my question. as far as the headers go, well thats too bad. i really want to go with some long tubes and a good mid pipe but im not interested in voiding my warranty at this point. maybe ill just have to go with a good cai and catback for now. and thanks for the warm welcome!
Just FYI....I think even the automatic is also technically a "6-spd", so just saying you have a 6-spd really doesn't clarify which you have. But I'll go ahead and assume you mean the manual 6-spd.
blazzin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 10:34 AM   #7
PAUL SS
The Mark of Excellence

Drives: 2010 ABM 1SS RS LS3
Welcome to Camaro5 and congrats on the 2012 SS.
Old 01-13-2012, 10:50 AM   #8
Earl
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro
I still have a hard time understanding how someone can buy a Camaro without researching the vehicle first? At least on a basic level. What do people just walk into a showroom and buy a car on looks alone? Not knowing what they're buying?

Before I bought my Camaro I researched everything I could about the engines, transmissions, trim levels, packages, all of that.
Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 10:52 AM   #9
SSCamaro644

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazzin1 View Post
Just FYI....I think even the automatic is also technically a "6-spd", so just saying you have a 6-spd really doesn't clarify which you have. But I'll go ahead and assume you mean the manual 6-spd.
yes its a manual
Old 01-13-2012, 10:59 AM   #10
BowlingSS
Camaro Owner Since 1987

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS L99 RJT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl View Post
I still have a hard time understanding how someone can buy a Camaro without researching the vehicle first? At least on a basic level. What do people just walk into a showroom and buy a car on looks alone? Not knowing what they're buying?

Before I bought my Camaro I researched everything I could about the engines, transmissions, trim levels, packages, all of that.
If you are going to buy a car on looks alone this is the one to get. I knew I wanted one back in 2006 after seeing one at the Fbody Gathering.

Bill
VMax Ported RJT Throttle Body
XSPower Headers and XSPower 3" Exhaust System
Elite Engineering Tunnel Brace,
Gorilla Wheel Lock System; Bear Rotors, Hawk HPS
Tinted Windows 35%;EFILive Tune
BowlingSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 11:01 AM   #11
SSCamaro644

Quote:

good for you. youre hardcore man. i did do my research and from what i learned it led to my test drive of the car which led to my purchase. but nowhere in my research did i hear the term "l99". i only first heard that term when i joined this forum and began looking at parts and what people have done. as i continue my research i have found what it means and will continue to ask more questions that i dont know or cant find the answers to. that is how one learns right? but no, i didnt memorize all the engine codes and the cars vin#, fill my garage with aftermarket performance parts or join this forum until AFTER i bought it. so lets keep this constructive as i am here to learn and contribute.
Old 01-13-2012, 11:24 AM   #12
Earl
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
good for you. youre hardcore man. i did do my research and from what i learned it led to my test drive of the car which led to my purchase. but nowhere in my research did i hear the term "l99". i only first heard that term when i joined this forum and began looking at parts and what people have done. as i continue my research i have found what it means and will continue to ask more questions that i dont know or cant find the answers to. that is how one learns right? but no, i didnt memorize all the engine codes and the cars vin#, fill my garage with aftermarket performance parts or join this forum until AFTER i bought it. so lets keep this constructive as i am here to learn and contribute.
Sorry man. I was out of line. I apologize.
Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 11:30 AM   #13
SSCamaro644

Quote:
Sorry man. I was out of line. I apologize.
accepted bro. no worries
Old 01-13-2012, 12:30 PM   #14
kiteman

Drives: 2012 45th Camaro, 2SS/M6
and, not to start a war, but also...

L99 = 400 HP
LS3 = 426 HP
kiteman is offline   Reply With Quote