Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-04-2024, 06:39 PM   #15
CamaroDreams76
Tri-County Camaro SWFL

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS/RS/1LE
Behind the glove box on the passenger side. But as stated GM no longer supports the 2G our cars have.
Old 05-04-2024, 06:55 PM   #16
0stones0
It don’t come easy.

Drives: 2010 2SS RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
It's on Youtube. Fast forward to 6:30.

Thanks!
Old 05-04-2024, 07:25 PM   #17
Aqua Blue RS/SS

Drives: ABM #93
Still makes me laugh!
ABM #2399 2SS/RS:SOLD
ABM #93 2SS/RS Black Rally stripes, Titanium Interior 4,000 miles: GM GFX side skirts and diffuser waiting on paint, GM dovetail, GM heritage, RPI ZL1 style splitter.
‘87 IROC-Z Iroc blue. all original unmolested with 50K miles.
Aqua Blue RS/SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2024, 10:56 PM   #18
chevy pilot

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Blue RS/SS View Post
Still makes me laugh!
Hi, this is Onstar....
chevy pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2024, 08:44 AM   #19
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE 4 2SS View Post
I have a hysterical story related to Onstar, and going really fast (200ish mph) and blowing up an engine.... I think I can still find the video somewhere...

Essentially, blew the motor, tossed the laundry (parachute) and at 215 or so mph, the chute hit so hard that it set off Onstar.... So, I'm sweating a blown engine, and I hear this ringing of a telephone.... WTF is that, and where is it coming from..... Ring Ring Ring "Hi, this is Onstar, do you need EMS..." or something to that effect.... Now, by this time I wasn't in the best mood, but I did say thank you but no thank you or something to that effect.... "We're always here if you need us..." Thank You...Bye... lol....
Oh that's just wild!! That would have flipped me out for sure to hear that!!
Old 05-07-2024, 09:54 PM   #20
PDXSSCE
Yee-aay-ee!

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS CV CE
Quote:
I have a hysterical story related to Onstar, and going really fast (200ish mph) and blowing up an engine.... I think I can still find the video somewhere...

Essentially, blew the motor, tossed the laundry (parachute) and at 215 or so mph, the chute hit so hard that it set off Onstar.... So, I'm sweating a blown engine, and I hear this ringing of a telephone.... WTF is that, and where is it coming from..... Ring Ring Ring "Hi, this is Onstar, do you need EMS..." or something to that effect.... Now, by this time I wasn't in the best mood, but I did say thank you but no thank you or something to that effect.... "We're always here if you need us..." Thank You...Bye... lol....

I noticed that at 6:16, as you're accelerating, the brake lights flashed. What was the reason?
Old 05-07-2024, 10:09 PM   #21
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXSSCE View Post

I noticed that at 6:16, as you're accelerating, the brake lights flashed. What was the reason?

Sharp eye...

Believe it or not, that's how big the bump is right there.... This is run on an old naval air station run way.... They practice carrier landings, so there are steel grates "embedded" over a trench and there used to be arms on either side.... They would pull the grates, raise the arms with the cable, and then replace the grates. I never touched the brakes, however, I watch the grates as I approach them, and I every so momentarily lift as it disappears under the hood, and then BAM, you hit it, and back on the loud pedal.... and it ever so slightly compresses my brake pedal down and the lights show for a blink....

There is a competitor from Florida that helps sponsor the event, and he tossed a huge donation towards smoothing the track.... They got out there and ground it and sanded it and it helps but its rough.... If you didn't lift as you went over it, any high HP car would spin... So most of us lifted to some varying degree...

My tuner listened to me bitch about it for years, (yeah yeah yeah, just drive it) then he made a pass down the track in another Camaro he built and tuned and came back to the pit area, and apologized to me.... 5 point harness, cinched down, and he still slammed the roof... I laughed my arse off....

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2024, 09:20 PM   #22
PDXSSCE
Yee-aay-ee!

Quote:
Sharp eye...

Believe it or not, that's how big the bump is right there.... This is run on an old naval air station run way.... They practice carrier landings, so there are steel grates "embedded" over a trench and there used to be arms on either side.... They would pull the grates, raise the arms with the cable, and then replace the grates. I never touched the brakes, however, I watch the grates as I approach them, and I every so momentarily lift as it disappears under the hood, and then BAM, you hit it, and back on the loud pedal.... and it ever so slightly compresses my brake pedal down and the lights show for a blink....

There is a competitor from Florida that helps sponsor the event, and he tossed a huge donation towards smoothing the track.... They got out there and ground it and sanded it and it helps but its rough.... If you didn't lift as you went over it, any high HP car would spin... So most of us lifted to some varying degree...

My tuner listened to me bitch about it for years, (yeah yeah yeah, just drive it) then he made a pass down the track in another Camaro he built and tuned and came back to the pit area, and apologized to me.... 5 point harness, cinched down, and he still slammed the roof... I laughed my arse off....
Wow, that's tough. How bad was the damage blowing the engine?
Old 05-10-2024, 01:56 AM   #23
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXSSCE View Post
Wow, that's tough. How bad was the damage blowing the engine?
Well let’s see… We need to clarify which engine… I’ve never created windows in the block, on any engine… Never broken a rod.. But I’ve lifted more than a couple heads and blown or burned up a plethora of turbos… an assortment of SS and Inconel valves…

When I set the record, I had to date, the following list of parts, as best I remember…

Front to back… Radiator number 2, turbos 7 & 8, Heads, heads gaskets, or blocks, Lord only knows… like 4 pairs of heads, not all destroyed, just damaged and upgraded from… Three blocks, with 5 rotating assembly iterations, and a truck load of head gaskets…Clutch number 4, (factory, Act twin disc junk, Street Slayer triple carbon, and finally the Street Slayer quad disc carbon…) TR6060 in some form or fashion # 7 I think… Drive shaft #3… Exhaust system #3, Chunk #2, axles 7 & 8, a truck load of fuel pumps… etc etc etc…

Most all of this was learning as we went, and any mechanical errors were strictly on me… I was driving… I’m including a few images of some of the carnage…

Name:  IMG_0905.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  323.1 KB
This is the factory radiator we ran up to about 1550 RWHP, when we lifted a head and blew the head gasket… It’s a bit swole… It’s that sudden pressure increase…

Name:  IMG_0208.jpeg
Size:  89.2 KB

This is the Third 67/66 turbo on the car, though the first ball bearing… As it turns out, the original two were journal bearings, came with the kit I originally ordered, though the turbos were not sized for the 427 we were building. They lasted two weeks, had the audacity to fail on the way to Camaro Fest II, in Phoenix… I ended up on a trailer, and had to buy (BUY) replacement turbos after two weeks of use, as we arrived in Phoenix… Don’t do business with JR Granatelli… He’ll rip you off…

Name:  IMG_0209.jpeg
Size:  69.8 KB

This is the compressor wheel from the above turbo, after we retrieved it from the intercooler at the track… This turbo blew up Friday morning… We ordered a replacement overnight, got the replacement Saturday morn at the shop over 100 miles away, cut the cold side, added the weld L, brought it to the track, spent the rest of Saturday cleaning and reinstalling everything…

Name:  IMG_0210.jpeg
Views: 79
Size:  80.0 KB

Further shrapnel retrieved from the intercooler, or pipe work from the turbo to the intercooler…

Name:  IMG_0211.jpeg
Size:  127.9 KB

This is the replacement turbo, received in overnight shipping, installed and making a pass Sunday morning… It was the last of the 67/66 turbos… We went bigger… So the supposition is that we were overspinning these small frame turbos… They are best suited to 3.0 liters per or less… We were throwing 3.5 liters at each… Overspinning them and fracturing the center shaft… We moved on to a midframe turbo, with CEA wheels, ceramic bearings, in a 76/75 size…

Name:  IMG_2409.jpg
Size:  91.8 KB

This is what happens when you use a factory head, with 4 bolt attachment, 18 lbs of boost and a bit of spray… We lifted the head, pushed a head gasket, plasma cut the head, cut an oil line and I had to borrow a water bottle, (16 oz variety commonly used for drinking) to put the fire out… She don run no mo, had to get towed back to the trailer and back to the drawing board… We already had a new pair of heads at the machine shop being ported and polished… ZL1 heads, harder and slightly thicker aluminum… Still only 4 bolt heads…

Name:  IMG_0191.jpeg
Size:  78.6 KB

This is the 300M transmission input shaft… Dead hook on a 6000 rpm launch at Lucas Oil, the week after Nationals… The track was sticky… Trans builder said a 300M shaft couldn’t be twisted, it would snap… I disproved that theory… He said he wanted this, his first built trans in my car, my 5th, back so he could examine/repair it… Billet gears, 1-5, 300 M shafts throughout, and… he called me a few days later to tell me he had to build me a whole new trans… Seems the main shaft inside was twisted so bad, he couldn’t get the gears off the shafts… I ran this transmission at the Texas Mile, 3 months later, as we hadn’t pulled the trans for any reason, and it was shifting like butter… Go figure…

Name:  IMG_0556.jpg
Size:  131.4 KB

So, a parachute has a drogue… Have I mentioned this track, an old naval air station runway is rough… Being a naval station, I guess they are obligated to use beach sand, with the associated puka and conch shells to make the cement for the runways… You do not walk barefooted on it… It’s hard as hell on bits and pieces that are dragged along behind the car, even when it’s performing it’s intended purpose… I learned quickly to keep my exit speed up as I left the racing surface, so the main chute stayed inflated and mostly off the ground until I got to the ticket window and stopped, whereupon I picked up the chute and stuffed it in the passenger window… Poor drogue… I had it replaced two or three times in 7 or so years of twice annually events…

Name:  IMG_0559.jpg
Size:  143.5 KB

Same drogue, different view…

Name:  IMG_0698.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  157.2 KB

Now this one hurt… AllPro LSW 12° -4 heads.. almost one inch thick deck, very very hard aluminum, very pricey… These were on the motor when I set the record… 6 bolt heads, proprietary head gasket with a fire ring like seal, 35 lbs of boost and 9000 rpm shifts… A hundred dollar O2 sensor on the passenger side pooped the bed right off the line… Car went stupid rich, but was still pulling like a frieght train, went 193 at the half mile, something felt off, and I lifted… Car kept running though on only 6 cylinders… Cooked the Inconel exhaust valve… That was my last pass ever… Ordered new heads, these were salvaged, though they were cut down and only used for an N/A motor… Friend bought them and put them on his Vette… I had the block gone through by the engine builder, my friends at ERL, Got the new heads and valves from AllPro, were going back together with it all when I had a massive heart attack and suffered three strokes offshore of Trinidad & Tobago on an oil rig… 2.5 weeks unconscious, 60 days in five hospitals in two countries and two states… Happened Halloween 2017, I was medically retired, had a friend that races the same event say he would buy her… Then Hurricane Harvey hit, he had to rebuild his boat shop, so eventually another guy purchased her… He wanted the motor for a CTSV… I walked away….Sad, but ok with it… We set a world record for a 5th Gen, Second fastest Camaro of any Gen at the time…

Name:  IMG_0356.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  107.4 KB

My Certified speed and wall art…

Name:  12670752_967400036676047_5271221799782720269_n.jpeg
Size:  56.7 KB

A celebratory liquid refreshment from a friend after setting the record…

Name:  IMG_2364.jpeg
Size:  136.7 KB

Andres Vivanco of ERL, who flew down to be with us as we chased the record… Good dude… We also had Thomas Hendricks drive in from SC with his son, but they left before the photos were taken…

We paved many a mile of pathway for others that came behind… I never shied away from sharing most anything we learned, or parts with my fellow racers… It was fun, it was expensive and I wouldn’t trade the experiences and friends made for anything… As I told Pete Basica one evening in 2011, at a meet up in South San Antonio, I want to race the mile and I want the world record… even if only for a day… I had it for six months… The following event was when the O2 sensor went south and unbeknownst to us, I made my last pass… I’m happy… and now I have a bass boat, I go fishing when I can stand the weather and the lakes ain’t dry, and I’m building a gaming computer for flight sim and racing sim games…

If there is any interest, all of this and much more is documented in my build thread… It’ll take you a couple hours to read… lots of pictures, laughs, tears, and general mayhem…

https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122837

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 05:10 AM   #24
Blue 13
3P171 USAF Combat Arms

Drives: 2013 SS/RS
Thanks for sharing all that. I learned a lot just reading those few quips. I’ll dive into your link when I have some time.
Old 05-10-2024, 05:36 PM   #25
Tony-8

Drives: 2014 Camaro RRM 2SS RS, M6 LS3 Vert
Wow!!! Pretty amazing ride, in every way. That there is quite a legacy. Congratulations!
Old 05-10-2024, 09:44 PM   #26
PDXSSCE
Yee-aay-ee!

Quote:
Well let’s see… We need to clarify which engine… I’ve never created windows in the block, on any engine… Never broken a rod.. But I’ve lifted more than a couple heads and blown or burned up a plethora of turbos… an assortment of SS and Inconel valves…

When I set the record, I had to date, the following list of parts, as best I remember…

Front to back… Radiator number 2, turbos 7 & 8, Heads, heads gaskets, or blocks, Lord only knows… like 4 pairs of heads, not all destroyed, just damaged and upgraded from… Three blocks, with 5 rotating assembly iterations, and a truck load of head gaskets…Clutch number 4, (factory, Act twin disc junk, Street Slayer triple carbon, and finally the Street Slayer quad disc carbon…) TR6060 in some form or fashion # 7 I think… Drive shaft #3… Exhaust system #3, Chunk #2, axles 7 & 8, a truck load of fuel pumps… etc etc etc…

Most all of this was learning as we went, and any mechanical errors were strictly on me… I was driving… I’m including a few images of some of the carnage…

This is the factory radiator we ran up to about 1550 RWHP, when we lifted a head and blew the head gasket… It’s a bit swole… It’s that sudden pressure increase…

This is the Third 67/66 turbo on the car, though the first ball bearing… As it turns out, the original two were journal bearings, came with the kit I originally ordered, though the turbos were not sized for the 427 we were building. They lasted two weeks, had the audacity to fail on the way to Camaro Fest II, in Phoenix… I ended up on a trailer, and had to buy (BUY) replacement turbos after two weeks of use, as we arrived in Phoenix… Don’t do business with JR Granatelli… He’ll rip you off…

This is the compressor wheel from the above turbo, after we retrieved it from the intercooler at the track… This turbo blew up Friday morning… We ordered a replacement overnight, got the replacement Saturday morn at the shop over 100 miles away, cut the cold side, added the weld L, brought it to the track, spent the rest of Saturday cleaning and reinstalling everything…

Further shrapnel retrieved from the intercooler, or pipe work from the turbo to the intercooler…

This is the replacement turbo, received in overnight shipping, installed and making a pass Sunday morning… It was the last of the 67/66 turbos… We went bigger… So the supposition is that we were overspinning these small frame turbos… They are best suited to 3.0 liters per or less… We were throwing 3.5 liters at each… Overspinning them and fracturing the center shaft… We moved on to a midframe turbo, with CEA wheels, ceramic bearings, in a 76/75 size…

This is what happens when you use a factory head, with 4 bolt attachment, 18 lbs of boost and a bit of spray… We lifted the head, pushed a head gasket, plasma cut the head, cut an oil line and I had to borrow a water bottle, (16 oz variety commonly used for drinking) to put the fire out… She don run no mo, had to get towed back to the trailer and back to the drawing board… We already had a new pair of heads at the machine shop being ported and polished… ZL1 heads, harder and slightly thicker aluminum… Still only 4 bolt heads…

This is the 300M transmission input shaft… Dead hook on a 6000 rpm launch at Lucas Oil, the week after Nationals… The track was sticky… Trans builder said a 300M shaft couldn’t be twisted, it would snap… I disproved that theory… He said he wanted this, his first built trans in my car, my 5th, back so he could examine/repair it… Billet gears, 1-5, 300 M shafts throughout, and… he called me a few days later to tell me he had to build me a whole new trans… Seems the main shaft inside was twisted so bad, he couldn’t get the gears off the shafts… I ran this transmission at the Texas Mile, 3 months later, as we hadn’t pulled the trans for any reason, and it was shifting like butter… Go figure…

So, a parachute has a drogue… Have I mentioned this track, an old naval air station runway is rough… Being a naval station, I guess they are obligated to use beach sand, with the associated puka and conch shells to make the cement for the runways… You do not walk barefooted on it… It’s hard as hell on bits and pieces that are dragged along behind the car, even when it’s performing it’s intended purpose… I learned quickly to keep my exit speed up as I left the racing surface, so the main chute stayed inflated and mostly off the ground until I got to the ticket window and stopped, whereupon I picked up the chute and stuffed it in the passenger window… Poor drogue… I had it replaced two or three times in 7 or so years of twice annually events…

Same drogue, different view…

Now this one hurt… AllPro LSW 12° -4 heads.. almost one inch thick deck, very very hard aluminum, very pricey… These were on the motor when I set the record… 6 bolt heads, proprietary head gasket with a fire ring like seal, 35 lbs of boost and 9000 rpm shifts… A hundred dollar O2 sensor on the passenger side pooped the bed right off the line… Car went stupid rich, but was still pulling like a frieght train, went 193 at the half mile, something felt off, and I lifted… Car kept running though on only 6 cylinders… Cooked the Inconel exhaust valve… That was my last pass ever… Ordered new heads, these were salvaged, though they were cut down and only used for an N/A motor… Friend bought them and put them on his Vette… I had the block gone through by the engine builder, my friends at ERL, Got the new heads and valves from AllPro, were going back together with it all when I had a massive heart attack and suffered three strokes offshore of Trinidad & Tobago on an oil rig… 2.5 weeks unconscious, 60 days in five hospitals in two countries and two states… Happened Halloween 2017, I was medically retired, had a friend that races the same event say he would buy her… Then Hurricane Harvey hit, he had to rebuild his boat shop, so eventually another guy purchased her… He wanted the motor for a CTSV… I walked away….Sad, but ok with it… We set a world record for a 5th Gen, Second fastest Camaro of any Gen at the time…

Quote:
My Certified speed and wall art…

A celebratory liquid refreshment from a friend after setting the record…

Andres Vivanco of ERL, who flew down to be with us as we chased the record… Good dude… We also had Thomas Hendricks drive in from SC with his son, but they left before the photos were taken…

We paved many a mile of pathway for others that came behind… I never shied away from sharing most anything we learned, or parts with my fellow racers… It was fun, it was expensive and I wouldn’t trade the experiences and friends made for anything… As I told Pete Basica one evening in 2011, at a meet up in South San Antonio, I want to race the mile and I want the world record… even if only for a day… I had it for six months… The following event was when the O2 sensor went south and unbeknownst to us, I made my last pass… I’m happy… and now I have a bass boat, I go fishing when I can stand the weather and the lakes ain’t dry, and I’m building a gaming computer for flight sim and racing sim games…

If there is any interest, all of this and much more is documented in my build thread… It’ll take you a couple hours to read… lots of pictures, laughs, tears, and general mayhem…

https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122837