Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-22-2010, 12:33 AM   #1261
jeffny09

Drives: 2010 camaro
Send a message via AIM to jeffny09 Send a message via Yahoo to jeffny09
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wacker View Post
Some feedback on the official tune unit and bolts. You need to cut the two tabs on the radiator to get the mounts to fit properly (very easy). You will understand once you place the OEM mounts back on the rad. The bolts only thread in to a fixed point so adjustment is a non issue. Radiator is back to factory tolerances now, as far as movement is concerned. As for the unit...Installed and did not re-flash or adjust the tune. Start up was perfect and trims went into -2% which is almost perfect. Put about 20 miles on it and only had a couple very very small bucks. 100% improvement over the last tune unit. Tomorrow I'll post a screen shot of fuel trims etc at cruise. Once I get the exhaust back together I'll tune it and see what else I can get out of it. I did install the 1/4 inch spacer, do to the fact I'm at 5000' and I have an auto. The spacer simply lets the MAF see more velocity to clean up the readings. I did not try it without, based on previous units/tunes I did not see the need.
hey

so if u have to cut the tabs(can u take a pic of what u had to cut?) and say i didnt like the unit-will i still be able to return the radiator back to stock?

10. A manual transmission is the ultimate in control
9. You can use automotive jargon and not sound like a total tool
8. You can't spell "manual" without "man"
7. Manual transmissions prove you can do more than one thing at a time
6. You can't drift in an auto
5. You can't pull fancy moves in an automatic
4. You get better fuel economy with a stick
3. You’ll never look like a chump if you can drive stick
2. Manual transmission cars are faster
1. Women like a guy who is good with his hands.

jeffny09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 07:53 AM   #1262
POWERFREAK
I.AM.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS/A6 cammed-n-whippled
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffny09 View Post
hey

so if u have to cut the tabs(can u take a pic of what u had to cut?) and say i didnt like the unit-will i still be able to return the radiator back to stock?
you worry tooooo much. once you get the Vararam...you WILL love it.
Old 03-22-2010, 02:36 PM   #1263
jeffny09

Drives: 2010 camaro
Send a message via AIM to jeffny09 Send a message via Yahoo to jeffny09
Quote:
Originally Posted by POWERFREAK View Post
you worry tooooo much. once you get the Vararam...you WILL love it.
lol yes i do-i dont want to cut it and if it surges and so forth so if it does surge and such, id like to know if it can still go back to stock.....

10. A manual transmission is the ultimate in control
9. You can use automotive jargon and not sound like a total tool
8. You can't spell "manual" without "man"
7. Manual transmissions prove you can do more than one thing at a time
6. You can't drift in an auto
5. You can't pull fancy moves in an automatic
4. You get better fuel economy with a stick
3. You’ll never look like a chump if you can drive stick
2. Manual transmission cars are faster
1. Women like a guy who is good with his hands.

jeffny09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 02:39 PM   #1264
Wingnut
GOT IT....LOVE IT!!!

Drives: 2010 2SS, Silver Ice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wacker View Post
How come you did not put the spacer back in under the snorkel? Or was this just a mock up pic?
What???? PLease explain or send a pic.
Old 03-22-2010, 02:41 PM   #1265
Wingnut
GOT IT....LOVE IT!!!

Drives: 2010 2SS, Silver Ice
OOOOOHHHHH, DUH. I get it now. Never could get them to fit very well. The instructions aren't very clear. A few pics could have saved 100 words on those instructions.
Old 03-22-2010, 06:06 PM   #1266
Wacker
INTHECLOUDS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
lol yes i do-i dont want to cut it and if it surges and so forth so if it does surge and such, id like to know if it can still go back to stock.....
You don't have to cut it, it just fits better.

11.39 @ 118 510 DA

www.6l80tuning.com www.6l90tuning.com
Wacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 11:20 PM   #1267
jnm2003

Drives: O2 GMC & 2010 camaro SS IBM 6M
im like 15 on the second list. Any feedback on what Freaking number vararam is on now with orders? I preordered on January 5th and they said mid february ill have mine, then called and said late march. now its late april.. if that!! what the hell!!! All i want is the Tune model so i can throw it on my car, tune it and run at the track! Patience is running out.

2010 camaro SS/RS Manual IBM.
NEW TIME 12.24 @ 114 mph. -[B] street tires, Hurst short throw, Halltech yellow jacket intake, AR long tube 1 7/8 headers, and a tune.
12.82 @ 110 MPH 1.92 60ft ALMOST Bone Stock ONLY MOD IS Borla mufflers.
jnm2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 11:22 PM   #1268
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
For those worried about the radiator, let it go! I'm telling you!!!

I've put well over 2,5k miles on the car w/ the d@mn radiator not bolted up top. IT IS FINE. I've hit potholes....nada.... It will be fine. ugh...
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 12:20 AM   #1269
SwiftCat
Get me my meds!

Drives: 2010 SS/RS M6 & solid black, baby!
Hey fellas,
For anyone on the list who's tired of waiting, I'm willing to part with my "tune-only" unit for what Vararam is charging plus shipping. I've decided to go with another CAI for what I consider a better fit and finish. They've already sent me a shipping label to send the unit back, but I thought I'd give someone the opportunity to grab on to it before it goes back.
I have no beef with the guys at Vararam....they're stand-up dudes. I'm just not sold on the radiator deal and the overall issues that haven't been worked out at this point in regard to surging prior to a tune.
PM me if you're interested.
Swifty
P.S. I'm selling my black phantom grille too.

The legend continues...
SwiftCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 10:21 AM   #1270
Camar0wn3d
formerly "wh0rsep0wer"

Drives: 2016 1SS Summit White
Quote:
hey

You don't have to cut the tabs (they come off easily if you pull straight up on them), and you will be able to return everything back to stock.

Bottom line - you can go back to completely stock if needed (but you won't want to) just don't lose any of the stock parts... I have first hand experience b/c I had to go back to stock while waiting for the Rev. 2 unit (to get rid of the bowing plastic issue). Was incredibly easy to do.

2012 2LS - Black A6 (SOLD)

2016 1SS Summit White A8
Camar0wn3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 10:30 AM   #1271
Wacker
INTHECLOUDS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camar0wn3d View Post
You don't have to cut the tabs (they come off easily if you pull straight up on them), and you will be able to return everything back to stock.

Bottom line - you can go back to completely stock if needed (but you won't want to) just don't lose any of the stock parts... I have first hand experience b/c I had to go back to stock while waiting for the Rev. 2 unit (to get rid of the bowing plastic issue). Was incredibly easy to do.
We must be talking about different things here. The tabs I am referring to are molded into the radiator what are you referring to?

11.39 @ 118 510 DA

www.6l80tuning.com www.6l90tuning.com
Wacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 12:38 PM   #1272
Camar0wn3d
formerly "wh0rsep0wer"

Drives: 2016 1SS Summit White
Ok, I am referring to the brackets that (when stock) are bolted to the front frame...what I'm talking about is not molded to the radiator.

I didn't have to cut ANYthing, but I have the "no tune" unit....

2012 2LS - Black A6 (SOLD)

2016 1SS Summit White A8
Camar0wn3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 12:42 PM   #1273
blackacidevil98
Banned

Drives: 2010 ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwiftCat View Post
Hey fellas,
For anyone on the list who's tired of waiting, I'm willing to part with my "tune-only" unit for what Vararam is charging plus shipping. I've decided to go with another CAI for what I consider a better fit and finish. They've already sent me a shipping label to send the unit back, but I thought I'd give someone the opportunity to grab on to it before it goes back.
I have no beef with the guys at Vararam....they're stand-up dudes. I'm just not sold on the radiator deal and the overall issues that haven't been worked out at this point in regard to surging prior to a tune.
PM me if you're interested.
Swifty
P.S. I'm selling my black phantom grille too.

I havent even touched one and I cant tell the radiator will be fine just by looking at pics. But if you must part ways, how much did they charge you for your intake, and what did you decide to go with? I may be interested in buying yours.
blackacidevil98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 03:27 PM   #1274
SwiftCat
Get me my meds!

Drives: 2010 SS/RS M6 & solid black, baby!
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackacidevil98 View Post
I havent even touched one and I cant tell the radiator will be fine just by looking at pics. But if you must part ways, how much did they charge you for your intake, and what did you decide to go with? I may be interested in buying yours.
Thanks for the inquiry, but she's been sold already. I went with an ADM race version instead. As good as a unit that Vararam has come up with in regard to power, I believe the main problem lies in the distance between the MAF and throttle body (according to some of the brains of the experts I've picked out there over the last few weeks.)
Believe me, I know that other vendors have an axe to grind...so I'm under no illusion that they have all the answers, but my desire is to have a unit that has a great fit and finish and power to boot.
Good luck to all of you who either have or are waiting for your Vararam units. With a smaller filter size I believe there'll be minimal to no issues...but for the "tune-only" units it's too much of a crap shoot for me to stick in there.
Patrick and Steve are awesome guys, and I have no doubt they'll end up on top...I just think it may take some more time for them to get there.
Peace out...
Swifty

The legend continues...
SwiftCat is offline   Reply With Quote