Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Garage / Tools Discussions

Old 05-22-2011, 12:18 PM   #197
speedster
SST...

Drives: SST Camaro 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post

So Doug is working on Chris' house...cool...

Lookin' good Chris. Man, your crew took out a bunch of trees for this build. Nice.
Old 05-22-2011, 12:18 PM   #198
talwell

Drives: 1969 LS1 Camaro
Not to be a smartass - but with the massive amount of foreclosures and shortsales in Florida wouldn't it have made more sense to buy one already built for considerably less than it costs to build? My house that I paid $250k for in '06 is now selling in the $45-$60k range. There are more houses than money to buy in Florida. When you build your costs are fixed - when you buy you can usually get in Florida now for about .25 on the dollar.
talwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 12:20 PM   #199
speedster
SST...

Drives: SST Camaro 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by talwell View Post
Not to be a smartass - but with the massive amount of foreclosures and shortsales in Florida wouldn't it have made more sense to buy one already built for considerably less than it costs to build? My house that I paid $250k for in '06 is now selling in the $45-$60k range. There are more houses than money to buy in Florida. When you build your costs are fixed - when you buy you can usually get in Florida now for about .25 on the dollar.

Due to the shortage of work for the labor to build new houses the cost has become way more "affordable".
Old 05-22-2011, 01:29 PM   #200
CatiaJockey

Drives: 2010 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcmol View Post
No hurricane strapping? My Brother's house that was built around Keystone Heights required a steel rod bolted from the top cap on the exterior walls down and anchored to the slab. Hmmmm.

Yeah framing, roofing and exterior move fast. Everything seems to crawl once they start electical, HVAC, plumbing, drywall, flooring and trim.
My house has 1/2" J bolts every 32" in the slab that the outside walls are bolted down to. I would have thought being so close to the coast your requirements would have been similar.
Old 05-22-2011, 02:03 PM   #201
garcmol

Drives: 10 1LT SIM; 91 B4C sleeper Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatiaJockey View Post
My house has 1/2" J bolts every 32" in the slab that the outside walls are bolted down to. I would have thought being so close to the coast your requirements would have been similar.
Similar, yes. Florida requires that bolt to run the height of the exterior wall though, lol
Old 05-22-2011, 05:19 PM   #202
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by talwell View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedster View Post
Due to the shortage of work for the labor to build new houses the cost has become way more "affordable".
And the short sale homes in our area were pretty throttled. We spent considerable time looking for more investment property. The prices per square foot were surprisingly close to short sale homes and we could go with a semi custom builder. And build a house in the school system we're currently in. So it was well worth it to us to build new.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcmol View Post
Similar, yes. Florida requires that bolt to run the height of the exterior wall though, lol
Right, we will have wall high bolts that are tied into the straps. The idea being that the whole house would have to come off the foundation instead of the roof or walls alone.
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 07:24 PM   #203
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Drives: under contruction
So is there going to be a grand opening Camaro 5 event at the new garage? (C5F 2 1/2 maybe?) I need to get time off from work to plan my trip, so I'd appreciate knowing the dates. Thanks.

Tag Team had better get working on t-shirts. I suggest a keg motif.
Darth_Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 08:24 AM   #204
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
If I do get a chance to build a shop, I'll have a house built next to it.
I nearly bought a house back in Charleston a few years back. it was an 800 sq foot house with a 1000 sq foot attached garage

Quote:
didnt know Chris was helping build the house...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Emma View Post
So is there going to be a grand opening Camaro 5 event at the new garage? (C5F 2 1/2 maybe?) I need to get time off from work to plan my trip, so I'd appreciate knowing the dates. Thanks.

Tag Team had better get working on t-shirts. I suggest a keg motif.
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 06:58 PM   #205
CatiaJockey

"Right, we will have wall high bolts that are tied into the straps. The idea being that the whole house would have to come off the foundation instead of the roof or walls alone."

If you get a chance could you post pics of this??? I'm not quite following the bolts tied to straps part.
Old 05-25-2011, 08:26 AM   #206
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Quote:
"Right, we will have wall high bolts that are tied into the straps. The idea being that the whole house would have to come off the foundation instead of the roof or walls alone."

If you get a chance could you post pics of this??? I'm not quite following the bolts tied to straps part.
Sure, I didn't really expalin it right.

there are wall high threaded "bolts" every few feet, that tied into the concrete and run to the top plate/sil of the wall and bolted at the top to squeeze the wall down to the foundation. The trusses are also "strapped" to the exterior and I think load bearing walls. So the trusses and walls are all anchored to the foundation with the straps and bolts.

That is my understanding of it anyway. I'm certainly NOT a GC...

As soon as they get that done I'll take some pics.

Old 05-25-2011, 11:24 AM   #207
CatiaJockey

Thanks for the response, I kinda thought that was what you were trying to get across but I wasn't sure. How do the wall high bolts fasten to the foundation? Are they drilling and inserting a nut of sorts?
Old 05-25-2011, 11:28 AM   #208
GTAHVIT
Blessed

I'm not sure exactly how they land the bolts in the foundation...
Old 05-25-2011, 09:26 PM   #209
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Quote:
No porta-john anywhere. Those guys are pissing on the ground.
Silly... that's what the garage drain is for

This dude must be a single father..... good taste in houses tho

Old 05-27-2011, 07:35 PM   #210
Hall of Fame

Drives: Hall of Fame
I started with a 3 car on the house when we built it 5 years ago. Then a 6 car 30x40 out back that is 12' tall came along. It is now full and my tractor is sitting outside. Never enough room.
Hall of Fame is offline   Reply With Quote