Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-05-2010, 02:22 AM   #1
RipperFox
Grrr!!!

Drives: BLK/IOM '11 2SS/RS
Dealer installed Ground Effects, paint costs?

My question is:

When the dealer has the gfx painted, so they can be install on my car...Is the painting included in the price that I paid when I ordered the car? or is that price for the plastic, and I gotta pay for painting too.

I was considering just having them 'wrapped' with carbon fiber vinyl, and just paying the difference.
3. See rule #1
RipperFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 03:15 AM   #2
nards444

Drives: 1SS/RS Black
No they come in that black plastic color basically the same color as the Grill or the back area around the exahaust. Doesnt matter what color car you get it comes in one color its like matte black. Im sure the dealer can paint it for you. I would think that it shouldnt be any more than 300-400
Old 08-05-2010, 03:24 AM   #3
Kycamaross
RED JEWEL inthe BLUEGRASS

Drives: 2010 RJT 2SS/RS, 01 S-10 Xtreme
It's a dealer installed option. Here is where it gets tricky, and you will have to check with your dealer on this. A dealer can "throw in" the cost of the painted GFX, or obviously charge you to paint them. I would definately check with the dealer and the sticker to see if they will charge you to paint them!. I do like your idea of the Carbon Fiber!!
Old 08-05-2010, 07:54 AM   #4
The Viz

Drives: Everything
Don't forget. Painting the GM GFX does void their warranty.

"God help the child who grows out of everything"
The Viz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 07:58 AM   #5
SSLarry

Drives: 2SS LS3
Don't cheap out on the painting of the GFX either (which the dealer may do if its a 'throw in'). I think they get chipped up pretty badly if they aren't primed correctly or so I've heard.
SSLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 08:02 AM   #6
Rip

Drives: 2011 SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by nards444 View Post
No they come in that black plastic color basically the same color as the Grill or the back area around the exahaust. Doesnt matter what color car you get it comes in one color its like matte black. Im sure the dealer can paint it for you. I would think that it shouldnt be any more than 300-400

Not to be argumentative, but they are actually closer to a charcoal gray. My stripes are matte black and they are noticeably darker than the GFX.
Old 08-05-2010, 12:23 PM   #7
GB EB

Drives: 2014 Stingray 2LT/Z51
installation is included (by most dealers) but painting is not (by most dealers).
I've done some shopping around and the dealer price to paint ranges from $300-$1,000.
GB EB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 12:24 PM   #8
John Shields
"Back in Black"

Drives: '10 1LT/RS Black w/Silver Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Viz View Post
Not if they paint it and install it. Another guy here on the forums had that done, got some damage to it, and they replaced it under warranty.

To the Jerkoff in SW Denver Driving the Black Camaro:
Quit making us look bad by driving like a tool and cutting people off (my wife included)!
John Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 12:34 PM   #9
bdstealth

Drives: 2SS/RS White/blk int.M6,GFX
I paid $430.00 to get my painted white.
bdstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 12:43 PM   #10
UT-Engineer
Just Cruisin'

Drives: 2010 Synergy Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Shields View Post
Not if they paint it and install it. Another guy here on the forums had that done, got some damage to it, and they replaced it under warranty.
This is true. I had mine installed and painted by the dealer. Paint for entire ghz was 400. I painted them CGM to match the racing stripes. I also damaged the front spoiler and 1 side skirt an they replaced it by ordering me new ones and painted them to match again... Under warranty, no cost to me. Just my deductable for the incident. Which was way cheaper than the parts and paint cost =)

UT-Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 12:46 PM   #11
nards444

Drives: 1SS/RS Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 2SS/RS View Post
installation is included (by most dealers) but painting is not (by most dealers).
I've done some shopping around and the dealer price to paint ranges from $300-$1,000.

Installation should be included. All the items you buy as options when you purchase the car should either come from the factory or the dealer installed at the price that GM advertises, if the dealer is charging more than you need to get ahold of GM, I wouldnt put it past them to have dealers do this.
Old 08-05-2010, 12:49 PM   #12
geminidreams

Drives: ABM 2LT / RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Viz View Post
Hi Viz ... ( I remember bugging you long ago for a Vin number lol.. )

I wouldn't have thought it would void the warrently but I did wonder if with after a while the paint starts to chip on them.?
Old 08-05-2010, 12:52 PM   #13
AdamCzap

Drives: 18 zl1, 17 sierra denali
paid $600 to have mine painted black to match my car.
AdamCzap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 12:53 PM   #14
TLSTWIN
Romans10:9-13

Drives: /\yes, this is me/\
Quote:
Originally Posted by RipperFox View Post
My question is:

When the dealer has the gfx painted, so they can be install on my car...Is the painting included in the price that I paid when I ordered the car? or is that price for the plastic, and I gotta pay for painting too.

I was considering just having them 'wrapped' with carbon fiber vinyl, and just paying the difference.
They come a grey color, close to the cyber grey metallic, but no metallic. That is a finish coat/paint. If you want them color matched, you have to pay extra since they have to send them to a painter.

As other people have stated, price for painting ranges from $300 to $900 +/-

you didn't ask this, but others have mentioned, installation is part of the purchase price.