Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 03-07-2012, 12:14 PM   #43
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Amazing. You did all that for $120, being a complete novice, and these vendors want something like 5 times that for one part, being professionals.

I know, the labor is where it's at, but if a complete rookie can pull that off, it makes you think.

Great job Christian.
Old 03-07-2012, 12:29 PM   #44
Camaro45thAE

Drives: '91 GMC Syclone & '12 Camaro 45TH
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
Amazing. You did all that for $120, being a complete novice, and these vendors want something like 5 times that for one part, being professionals.

I know, the labor is where it's at, but if a complete rookie can pull that off, it makes you think.

Great job Christian.
Remember, he is doing an overlay, the most cheapest form of CF fabrication. Laying CF on a part then covering it with resin is not very hard to do, which is why it stands out as a good entry point to learn the properties of FG/CF/resin.

Start doing custom molded pieces (i.e, you are actually producing a part from scratch) with vac infusion or pre-preg/autoclave production and cost goes up dramatically due to setup up time and material cost involved....labor too. Mold making can be very expensive, especially when you start getting into multi-piece molds and very intrique shapes....and you havent even made a single piece yet!

Cant wait to see more stuff from the OP!
GMC Syclone #237
2012 Camaro 2LT Anniversary Edition
Order No. PTXV9B
8.31.2011 - Born! TPW 8/29
HowTune- DIY Automotive Network
Camaro45thAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 01:13 PM   #45
matthook

Drives: 2012 IBM Camaro 1LT RS
wow you did a great job! Want to do mine too? haha

Team LFX Thread Link: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187109
Team LFX Group: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/group.php?groupid=306
matthook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 01:42 PM   #46
William.23

Drives: 2011 Summit White.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zkdreads View Post
exactly! wrap was like $30 for all of the cf and like 10 feet left over lol. ANYBODY doing CF i think it ALL looks great
Where did you get that wrap for 30$? Lol Pm if you can, I don't want to keep my dull interior!.
William.23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 01:51 PM   #47
usafboy

Drives: 2010 Silver SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by William.23 View Post
Where did you get that wrap for 30$? Lol Pm if you can, I don't want to keep my dull interior!.
if i remember correctly it was from headlight armor. that's where i got the same vinyl for my bowties from. i'm sure he'll let you know though

is it possible to use that vinyl then lay the resin over it? or do you have to use a different type of carbon fiber?
Mods...so far: resonator/muffler delete, tinted everything, '13 shift knob/boot, bowtie delete, PFADT sway bars, CAI intake, Hurst short shifter, JBA cat deletes, BMR trailing arms/outer bushings/steering rack bushing, Bo White ported TB.
Rhino79 Dyno tuned...405 HP/399 TQ
usafboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 01:53 PM   #48
CamaroDreams07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro45thAE View Post
Remember, he is doing an overlay, the most cheapest form of CF fabrication. Laying CF on a part then covering it with resin is not very hard to do, which is why it stands out as a good entry point to learn the properties of FG/CF/resin.

Start doing custom molded pieces (i.e, you are actually producing a part from scratch) with vac infusion or pre-preg/autoclave production and cost goes up dramatically due to setup up time and material cost involved....labor too. Mold making can be very expensive, especially when you start getting into multi-piece molds and very intrique shapes....and you havent even made a single piece yet!

Cant wait to see more stuff from the OP!
This is true. But if it looks this good, I don't see why more vendors don't sell it. It seems to either be hydrocarbon or full CF.
Old 03-07-2012, 02:31 PM   #49
Camaro45thAE

Drives: '91 GMC Syclone & '12 Camaro 45TH
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
This is true. But if it looks this good, I don't see why more vendors don't sell it. It seems to either be hydrocarbon or full CF.
Typically when you do overlays, it does cause fitment issues in some cases. Figure youre adding another 3-5mm of thickness to a part depending on how well you lay your CF and how thick you lay on the top finishing layers of resin. Unless you are doing vac infusion and have a very strict procedure of measuring out your material, the variation from piece to piece could be the difference between fitting without issue or having to force or "trim" something so it fits properly.

While I am not saying this is the only reason why vendors shy away from offering products in this manner, it is a factor to take into consideration.

Maybe I should take this as a hint and start offering CF overlay parts for the Camaro
GMC Syclone #237
2012 Camaro 2LT Anniversary Edition
Order No. PTXV9B
8.31.2011 - Born! TPW 8/29
HowTune- DIY Automotive Network
Camaro45thAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 03:31 PM   #50
zkdreads

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by William.23 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by usafboy View Post
if i remember correctly it was from headlight armor. that's where i got the same vinyl for my bowties from. i'm sure he'll let you know though

is it possible to use that vinyl then lay the resin over it? or do you have to use a different type of carbon fiber?
let me try to find the links to where i got them from. dont know and i doubt the vinyl i used is made for the resin to go over it to make it shiny. send u a pm in a few minutes
zkdreads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 03:40 PM   #51
zkdreads

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS V6
im waiting to see what else christianmotox has up his sleeve
zkdreads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 05:47 PM   #52
christianmotox

Drives: ( . )( . )
First of all, thanks for the complements from all of you guys.

And yes, there are some fitment issues that you need to consider, i had to sand the edges of the parts to make up for the thickness gained from the CF and the epoxy. and i think it will be more critical on the door inserts, because it looks pretty tight, ill need to trim off a bit of the plastic.

Im expecting my epoxy shipment to come in Friday, so hopefully ill be able to work on some more parts over the weekend.

Quote:
Typically when you do overlays, it does cause fitment issues in some cases. Figure youre adding another 3-5mm of thickness to a part depending on how well you lay your CF and how thick you lay on the top finishing layers of resin. Unless you are doing vac infusion and have a very strict procedure of measuring out your material, the variation from piece to piece could be the difference between fitting without issue or having to force or "trim" something so it fits properly.

While I am not saying this is the only reason why vendors shy away from offering products in this manner, it is a factor to take into consideration.

Maybe I should take this as a hint and start offering CF overlay parts for the Camaro
Old 03-07-2012, 11:04 PM   #53
CamaroDreams07

Quote:

That's what I was hoping for
Old 03-07-2012, 11:18 PM   #54
FAT-SS
unBALAnced-10

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Very impressive. I've been trying to work with some ridgid sheets of 1/8" and 1/16" thick carbon fiber myself. Mostly trying to cut them to replace some flat pieces on my Camaro and the trunk lid bowtie. I am also using the vinyl carbon fiber wrap from Headlight Armour to wrap some interior panels but it doesn't look as good as what you got going.
Attached Images

Old 03-21-2012, 08:46 PM   #55
Pharmaro

Drives: 2011 CGM 2SS/RS
First, props to christianmotox for inspiring me to try this. I ordered the kit he linked in his earlier post plus some of the other aforementioned items and decided I would do my A-pillars and the door sill covers. I would say that this isn't for the faint of heart and I had several "what did I get myself into moments." I would give myself a 6/10 on the A-pillars (I need to resand and clear them I think) and 8/10 on the door sill protectors.

Pics!
Attached Images

Pharmaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 09:03 PM   #56
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Looks great. I'll definitely have to try this.