Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 03-04-2010, 04:55 AM   #1
AdnanHfuda

Drives: none :(
how to negotiate

just wondering how everyone approaches this. what are your bargaining chips? any random tips would be good

cheers, hope this turns into a useful thread.
Old 03-04-2010, 06:27 AM   #2
AdnanHfuda

Drives: none :(
Old 03-04-2010, 10:10 AM   #3
Brokinarrow

Drives: 2012 Honda NC700x
First and Foremost: Don't act TOO interested in the car. You want to make it clear that you are wanting to buy, but make it clear that you aren't in a hurry.

Ask about any incentives they may have, if they don't offer any, make a face or appear worried. Tell them about the incentives that other dealerships have offered (even if they haven't, but make it believable).

Make sure if you are trading in something they give you a decent price. Look up your vehicle on Kelly Blue Book (kbb.com) and if they name a lower price, tell them it's worth more than that.

Finally, tell them thanks for their time, you're going to look at some other dealerships, but you MIGHT be back. Hopefully they got your number at some point (if they haven't, give it to them and tell them to give you a call if they start offering any deals), if they really want the sale they'll call you back shortly.
Old 03-04-2010, 11:05 AM   #4
derklug

Drives: 12 Boss 302
The two best things are knowing all the info you can find on the car, and being prepared to walk out. Pictures of the salesman's family taken through a rifle scope helps to speed things along also.
Old 03-04-2010, 12:00 PM   #5
Brokinarrow

Drives: 2012 Honda NC700x
Quote:
Originally Posted by derklug View Post
The two best things are knowing all the info you can find on the car, and being prepared to walk out. Pictures of the salesman's family taken through a rifle scope helps to speed things along also.
Old 03-04-2010, 12:04 PM   #6
THUMPER20X
GM fix my PAINT U suck!

Drives: 2010 Black 1SS/RS 6Spd
Well now theres far more supply than demand, and they know this Id work that angle.
Old 03-04-2010, 12:22 PM   #7
nova

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS, VR, PW, WR
I've always just been a hardass and sticking to what I want as well as being informed about what things are worth. Edmunds, KBB and NADA are all good sources of information.

Don't put up with any of their shit either. I always love this exchange:

Them: "Well, $20/month extra payment isn't all that much, can't you come up."
Me: "If that extra payment isn't all that much, then why don't you come down."

That gets you a lot of dumb drooling looks.

Remember, they always need to sell a car worse than you need to buy one.

Mods:
skip shift eliminator (hey everybody's gotta start somewhere )
crappily painted engine cover...
nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 12:25 PM   #8
Stew

Drives: 92 Luminadead/01 Dakota/97 F150 4x4
Never start with payments, get the lowest price first, then trade in, then discuss payments.
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 03:18 PM   #9
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Have at least 2 dealerships lined up with a car you want before entering serious negotiations. Depending on how comfortable you are talking face to face, you might be better off to negotiate over the phone rather than in person. Its easier to say exactly what you want and you can look at your research (___ is only worth $XXX, not $YYY) without worrying about how it makes you appear.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 04:02 PM   #10
futrocpd
P90X

Drives: 2000 SLP SS VERT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew View Post
Never start with payments, get the lowest price first, then trade in, then discuss payments.

Also build your car online and bring a print out of it with you. Edmunds.com you can build your car (for the most part) there as well and they tell you what invoice should be on the vehicle you are interested in and they also tell you what the avg buyer is paying as well.

Had this happen a lot when I sold them. Works almost everytime, some dealers think a sucker will come along eventually and not sell at what you want.

P90X changed my life. Want to know more, PM me for more info on changing your life for the better
futrocpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 04:08 PM   #11
1bad65
Banned

Drives: 2007 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brokinarrow View Post
First and Foremost: Don't act TOO interested in the car. You want to make it clear that you are wanting to buy, but make it clear that you aren't in a hurry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by THUMPER20X View Post
Well now theres far more supply than demand, and they know this Id work that angle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Have at least 2 dealerships lined up with a car you want before entering serious negotiations.
Excellent advice.

As to the current situation, it is a buyer's market. Price different dealers, and you can also tell them if for example if you cannot get a good deal on a Camaro, you will get a Mustang or Challenger for example. That way you tell the dealers not only are they competing against other dealers, but with other cars as well. Competition always benefits the consumer. Even if you not interested in another brand of car, they don't know that.
1bad65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 10:45 PM   #12
2000v6

Drives: 2003 m3, 2000 camaro v6, 2004 s4
There is no real bargaining chip.

Well there is if it comes to dealers who sell new cars, but if we are talking about the used car dealers that just sell used cars and do not have contracts with the actual car companies, then the trick is... manheim.
2000v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 11:24 AM   #13
THE EVIL TW1N
Banned

Drives: 2003 Cobra Convertible
The only advice is: KNOW what you want, KNOW what you are willing to pay, and KNOW what is a good deal in front of you're face.

And don't do phone negotiations, you'll NEVER get the best price. You are better off getting online quotes than doing phone negotiations.
THE EVIL TW1N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 11:27 AM   #14
MrIcky

Drives: Dodge Ram Megacab & Cobalt SS
I just research the hell out of whatever I want to buy. Then I find one that's been on the lot a while. Then I offer somewhere in the bottom half of fair where I know they'll make about 3-4% and I do not negotiate. I say that's it- take it or leave it.

I try to only buy things when I want them, not need them- and I'm never in a hurry. Plus my financing is always worked out before I walk in the door.
MrIcky is offline   Reply With Quote