Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions

Old 09-16-2009, 12:33 PM   #1
Mikk2K

Drives: '10 Camaro LTRS, '12 Pro4x Frontier
Question Privacy Markup

I'm going to be buying a Camaro from a dealership in Eau Claire, WI. When I was there at the dealership I noticed a sticker on the vehicles. It said, price adjustment 95 dollars, or something very similar I can’t remember the exact wording or even the price that was added. I do know it was more the 80 dollars though.

When I spoke to the dealer about this he said it had to do with the privacy of the customer and the paper work that is filled out. He said that since 9/11/01 that this has become a requirement. He said that the state allows dealers to charge up to 150 dollars, and it is up to the dealership’s digression to set the price. He also said since they charge it to one person they have to charge it to everyone.

My question is this true? I don’t recall ever seeing this at other dealerships. It has been some time since my last vehicle purchase so I could be mistaken. I was just curious if anyone else has heard of this or has been charged this when they buy a new vehicle?
Mikk2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 12:35 PM   #2
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 89 IROC 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikk2K View Post
I'm going to be buying a Camaro from a dealership in Eau Claire, WI. When I was there at the dealership I noticed a sticker on the vehicles. It said, price adjustment 95 dollars, or something very similar I can’t remember the exact wording or even the price that was added. I do know it was more the 80 dollars though.

When I spoke to the dealer about this he said it had to do with the privacy of the customer and the paper work that is filled out. He said that since 9/11/01 that this has become a requirement. He said that the state allows dealers to charge up to 150 dollars, and it is up to the dealership’s digression to set the price. He also said since they charge it to one person they have to charge it to everyone.

My question is this true? I don’t recall ever seeing this at other dealerships. It has been some time since my last vehicle purchase so I could be mistaken. I was just curious if anyone else has heard of this or has been charged this when they buy a new vehicle?
total
IROCanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 12:36 PM   #3
jrboyd_1980
A ***'s Headache

Drives: Everything
I work at a dealership, I have never heard of a Privacy Mark-up. I just checked with my CFO, (Chief financial officer) and he says their is no such thing.
jrboyd_1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 12:41 PM   #4
Mikk2K

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhaus76 View Post
total
That's what I thought too. I tried doing a search online and didn't turn up with anything. So next logical step was to ask the all smart people on Camaro5
Old 09-16-2009, 01:26 PM   #5
jrboyd_1980
A ***'s Headache

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikk2K View Post
That's what I thought too. I tried doing a search online and didn't turn up with anything. So next logical step was to ask the all smart people on Camaro5
We have smart people hiding on here? Where they at?!! Joking
Old 09-16-2009, 01:30 PM   #6
Red Rocket
Camaro Princess

Drives: 2010 VR 2LT RS
Sounds fishy to me. Make them show you proof.
Old 09-16-2009, 01:31 PM   #7
Red Rocket
Camaro Princess

Drives: 2010 VR 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrboyd_1980 View Post
We have smart people hiding on here? Where they at?!! Joking
Compared to the rest of the world (aka dealers), We're geniuses. It's a wonder our brains don't explode with all of our intelligence, lol.
Old 09-16-2009, 01:36 PM   #8
jrboyd_1980
A ***'s Headache

Hey I am a dealer :P
Old 09-16-2009, 02:16 PM   #9
BulletSS

Drives: 2SS/RS CGM M6
From my experience at the dealership, this is true for the 9/11 crap of doing a background check. They called it 'Red Flag', but they didn't charge anything for it. Sounds like your dealer found another way to charge for selling cars- just like the crappy documentation fee. They have people sitting at the desk waiting to paperwork- why charge again. Obviously because they can!

Past rides:
2000 Camaro SS
1997 Camaro
1992 Camaro RS
1980 Camaro
BulletSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 04:42 PM   #10
Scrappy Doo

Drives: Callaway Rogue
It's kind of like the "document fee" that the dealers here charge. On top of ttl. It's like 50 to 250 depending on the dealer...... It's called the owner's extra pocket change fund....
Scrappy Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 05:50 PM   #11
Mikk2K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrappy Doo View Post
It's kind of like the "document fee" that the dealers here charge. On top of ttl. It's like 50 to 250 depending on the dealer...... It's called the owner's extra pocket change fund....
I just got off the phone with someone else at the dealership and that's exactly it. A "document fee", now is there any why for me to avoid paying this "document fee"? I know it's "only $95", but it's $95 I could be spending on more important things such as food or gas.
Old 09-16-2009, 06:08 PM   #12
jrboyd_1980
A ***'s Headache

The document fee is not required by law but dealerships are allowed to charge. But honestly if $95.00 is all that is keeping you from buying the Camaro, do you really want a Camaro that bad. I am betting you are financing the Camaro. If so you are looking at $1.75 a month maybe. Why not double check your state? I believe that Wisonsin does not allow tax credit's on rebates. Alot of states don't but their are a few that do. So if you get the 500 dollar rebate, and have to pay the 5.5% sales tax that Wisonsin charges, you are having to pay an additional $27.50. Why not fight for that to?

What I am trying to get out, is if you have a dealer that is selling at MSRP and honoring discounts, you should jump on it. Paying the extra $95.00 is alot better than paying the extra 5-10K mark-up you get at alot of other dealers. And the dealers with mark ups will still charge you the same fee.
Old 09-16-2009, 06:12 PM   #13
Mikk2K

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrboyd_1980 View Post
The document fee is not required by law but dealerships are allowed to charge. But honestly if $95.00 is all that is keeping you from buying the Camaro, do you really want a Camaro that bad. I am betting you are financing the Camaro. If so you are looking at $1.75 a month maybe. Why not double check your state? I believe that Wisonsin does not allow tax credit's on rebates. Alot of states don't but their are a few that do. So if you get the 500 dollar rebate, and have to pay the 5.5% sales tax that Wisonsin charges, you are having to pay an additional $27.50. Why not fight for that to?

What I am trying to get out, is if you have a dealer that is selling at MSRP and honoring discounts, you should jump on it. Paying the extra $95.00 is alot better than paying the extra 5-10K mark-up you get at alot of other dealers. And the dealers with mark ups will still charge you the same fee.
Oh I agree $95 is better than a high mark up, and no it's not going to stop me from buying the car. The more money I can keep in my pocket and less money going into the dealer's hands the better. I'm not going to spend a penny more than I have to.
Old 09-16-2009, 06:25 PM   #14
jrboyd_1980
A ***'s Headache

But you guys seem to think that Dealerships are making alot of money on this cars. Average comission for a sales person is 20-25% of front end gross. So figure the sales person makes about $200 -$225 a car. Yes the Camaro's are a hot items, but they are limited in production as everyone knows and the Sales person has to sell other vehicles, which, if you watched the news, the auto industry is suffering. Figure average car sales per sales person is 10 cars a month, that means average sales person here is taking home about $2000-$2250 a month. Now a salesperson works 6 days a week for 10 hrs or so a day. Thats roughly 255 hrs a month. Divide by the average income that means they are making 7.84 dollars to 8.82 dollars an hour. Fortunately I have been blessed and am not in that situation, but alot of sales people across the nation are. And don't get me wrong I love my job, and the customers do come first, but when people start complaining about a $50 dollar document fee, it is kinda stupid in my humble opinion.