Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 04-29-2011, 05:32 PM   #1
badapple

Drives: 2011 CGM 2SS AT
ZL1 vs ZR1

One of the ZR1's most amazing aspects is it's exhaust note. Will the ZL1 sound as good or even better? Or will it be on the quieter side?
badapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 06:15 PM   #2
alcal1084

Drives: 2012 45TH AE SS
I heard it in person at the fest about 3 feet away and I will say for a stock car its nice!!! But I think the zr1 is louder and nicer just my opinion nobody beat me up please...
alcal1084 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 06:52 PM   #3
alcal1084

Drives: 2012 45TH AE SS
Edit just read the zl1 at the fest didn't have the final exhaust on...
alcal1084 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 06:58 PM   #4
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by alcal1084 View Post
I hope not.

The 'Note' sounded deep and deep. lol, Like if God cleared his throat, it wold sound like that.

But I'd prefer it to be louder.
Old 04-30-2011, 01:48 PM   #5
sed34

Drives: a
i wouldn't take anything as final until car comes out. the zl right now is just for show and is not finished by any means.
sed34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 10:11 PM   #6
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Where did you read that?

It wouldn't surprise me...the car isn't "done" yet. So if it DIDN'T have the final exhaust on...which I'm not convinced -- please link me ....the 'final' exhaust will sound better!

...what a thought!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
I hope not.

The 'Note' sounded deep and deep. lol, Like if God cleared his throat, it wold sound like that.

But I'd prefer it to be louder.
I don't think he really revved it, to be honest.....I think there's much more volume to be had, and that's saying something!!!

HA!! I agree!!! "If God cleared his throat, it would sound like that"

If I remember what I heard at the last Fest correctly....I like the ZL1s exhaust better than the ZR1....haven't heard one in a while to be sure...

Online videos and sound bites are complete garbage compared to the real thing, there in front of you.
But the ZL1's voice was simply to die for....
Old 05-04-2011, 10:24 PM   #7
calbert1999
Camaro SS Lover

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black IOM
Anyone know what brand or type of exhaust ZL1 has?
The SS cans were really weak, but still had a decent stealthy growl. Even if they up'd the tone a bit on the ZL1 they probably won't go much different.
I really like the sound of Vettes' and there's not many vehicles out there that sound as good as the ZR1 or Z06 so would be interesting to see if the ZL1 can compete with that.
Old 05-04-2011, 10:42 PM   #8
Mark H

Drives: 04 Denali

But Officer, I swear its just a vacuum leak.

Those red things? those are smog pumps!

2004 Sierra Denali ----- 2/4 drop
LSX 438 TWIN TURBO

LSX Block Video
Block number 00370. Build Date 04/17/2007
Mark H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 10:54 PM   #9
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by calbert1999 View Post
Anyone know what brand or type of exhaust ZL1 has?
The SS cans were really weak, but still had a decent stealthy growl. Even if they up'd the tone a bit on the ZL1 they probably won't go much different.
I really like the sound of Vettes' and there's not many vehicles out there that sound as good as the ZR1 or Z06 so would be interesting to see if the ZL1 can compete with that.
The ZL1 uses GM's proprietary dual-mode exhaust system. The only other vehicle I'm aware of that features this neat piece of tech is the Corvette. In fact, the Z06 and ZR1 come standard with this system...so that's what you've heard.

Basically, there is a single muffler with two routes for the exhaust to take. One is actually muffled, and the other is as straight through as you can get from the factory. It's a wisper away from being as loud and crazy as if there were no mufflers at all.

So, it sounds "tame" (which is a misleading word with regards to the ZL1...) when idling, or cruising down the highway. This is to control drone and drive-by volume, etc...

But when you step on it, or when it's intially turned on...there are butterfly valves in two of the tips (one on each side, which is why there are four total) that open up and allow the exhaust to take the most free-flowing path, the straight section. This frees up horsepower, and of course, volume.
Old 05-04-2011, 11:09 PM   #10
calbert1999
Camaro SS Lover

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
The ZL1 uses GM's proprietary dual-mode exhaust system. The only other vehicle I'm aware of that features this neat piece of tech is the Corvette. In fact, the Z06 and ZR1 come standard with this system...so that's what you've heard.

Basically, there is a single muffler with two routes for the exhaust to take. One is actually muffled, and the other is as straight through as you can get from the factory. It's a wisper away from being as loud and crazy as if there were no mufflers at all.

So, it sounds "tame" (which is a misleading word with regards to the ZL1...) when idling, or cruising down the highway. This is to control drone and drive-by volume, etc...

But when you step on it, or when it's intially turned on...there are butterfly valves in two of the tips (one on each side, which is why there are four total) that open up and allow the exhaust to take the most free-flowing path, the straight section. This frees up horsepower, and of course, volume.
Not sure which one it would more closely resemble but sounds like a similar approach as diverters or cutouts. Isn't there a feature in the Vettes that has a control that allows you to open close the valves?
Old 05-04-2011, 11:15 PM   #11
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by calbert1999 View Post
Not sure which one it would more closely resemble but sounds like a similar approach as diverters or cutouts. Isn't there a feature in the Vettes that has a control that allows you to open close the valves?
It is similar...the difference is that cutouts or diverters can sometimes occur before the cats for racing...otherwise the vent underneath the car...usually...that's not factory-friendly. So this system is all contained within the muffler assembly (or attached to it, like the butterfly valves are)

No, there's no feature off the showroom. For about $100, though...there's a remote system that replaces the fuse for the valves, and gives you full control. It's supposedly rumored that it can be "homelinked".....

...I can just see pushing that button up above like I'm in a jet and "VROOOOMM"....
Old 05-05-2011, 12:56 AM   #12
LS6-M22
Rockcrusher

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
It is similar...the difference is that cutouts or diverters can sometimes occur before the cats for racing...otherwise the vent underneath the car...usually...that's not factory-friendly. So this system is all contained within the muffler assembly (or attached to it, like the butterfly valves are)

No, there's no feature off the showroom. For about $100, though...there's a remote system that replaces the fuse for the valves, and gives you full control. It's supposedly rumored that it can be "homelinked".....

...I can just see pushing that button up above like I'm in a jet and "VROOOOMM"....
Only 2006 Z06 cars have the homelink and can be paired to the mild to wild switch.07 and up use a different supplier that can't be programmed to the mild to wild switch.
LS6-M22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 01:04 AM   #13
Revo1
Don't Like it? Suggit.

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
I heard it in person at the fest about 3 feet away and I will say for a stock car its nice!!! But I think the zr1 is louder and nicer just my opinion nobody beat me up please...
Now I don't know what mode Scott ha the exhaust in, but it sounded good. But I think it could sound better

"Tops off, tach up baby- loud and proud!"
A Camaro lover from day one- 1996 3.8 V6 Camaro, to 1996 5.7 LT1 Camaro Z28, to the sold 2002 5.7 LS1 Camaro SS, and NOW, a [I]6.2 L99 VR 2SS/RS: XS Power stainless full exhaust, Airaid CAI, BMR drop springs and sways, custom tune by Cal Speed- 411rwhp
Revo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 01:05 AM   #14
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator

Drives: '13 BLK 1LE
It is LOUD