Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 07-08-2013, 10:08 PM   #29
chicagobulls
one car wolfpack

Drives: 2010 Camaro V6
You could probably say the same about the m twins.
chicagobulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 10:09 PM   #30
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagobulls View Post
You could probably say the same about the m twins.
I don't think anybody would say that. M105 is one of the most difficult compounds to work with. Has a huge learning curve.
Old 07-08-2013, 10:10 PM   #31
ec1990

Drives: 2012 AGM SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
If you can't get it done with Menzerna, you should probably just go to a professional.
I could see issues popping up if you don't work it long enough it can leave an oily appearance behind, since it needs to be completely broken down. But if you keep working it until it's broken down on Camaros at least FG400 can be one-stepped. And this is from more than just my experience.
ec1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 10:13 PM   #32
CamaroDreams07

Quote:
Originally Posted by ec1990 View Post
I could see issues popping up if you don't work it long enough it can leave an oily appearance behind, since it needs to be completely broken down. But if you keep working it until it's broken down on Camaros at least FG400 can be one-stepped. And this is from more than just my experience.
90% of the vehicles that I work on are one-stepped with FG400. It's the best all-in-one polish I've ever seen. Optimum Hyper Compound is another that finishes like a polish, but doesn't quite have the cut of FG400.

But yeah, FG400 will get you 95% of the way there almost every time.
Old 07-08-2013, 10:25 PM   #33
chicagobulls
one car wolfpack

I'll have to check out FG400.

For not too severe swirling I have been using just m205 and seen 90-95% correction.

On heavily swirled paint i have been seeing anywhere from 80-90% which is very acceptable.

I'm just saying what I have read. I have been using m105 hasn't been too difficult. But I understand.

Which is why I put the ultimate compound and polish into my post. These are OTC which is very important when just getting into detailing.
Old 07-08-2013, 10:29 PM   #34
chicagobulls
one car wolfpack

Customer's WRX m205'd

Name:  20130704_164751_Richtone(HDR).jpg
Views: 140
Size:  291.2 KB
Old 07-08-2013, 10:30 PM   #35
ec1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagobulls View Post
I'll have to check out FG400.

For not too severe swirling I have been using just m205 and seen 90-95% correction.

On heavily swirled paint i have been seeing anywhere from 80-90% which is very acceptable.

I'm just saying what I have read. I have been using m105 hasn't been too difficult. But I understand.

Which is why I put the ultimate compound and polish into my post. These are OTC which is very important when just getting into detailing.
I think online is the way to go, specifically because if you're getting into detailing, you're going to get a machine. And finding a machine and pads is nigh impossible OTC. But I believe someone can find acceptable products OTC to maintain there vehicle, just don't plan any paint correction, well done in a short amount of time. Doing one by hand is ancient.
Old 07-08-2013, 10:42 PM   #36
chicagobulls
one car wolfpack

I know but my neighbors wash there cars with plain water.

Everybody should start with something OTC.

Baby steps. Start off OTC. Then go online. Then buy a polisher. Then become pro.
Old 07-09-2013, 12:05 AM   #37
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Drives: #198
I think Megs Ultimate Compound and Polish are excellent beginner polishes. They both are extremely easy to work with and give great results as well.

Not saying that anything Matt said wasn't true, but for the price, UC and UP can't be beat imo. Especially when you are first starting out.

Please check out my youtube detailing channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 12:12 AM   #38
ec1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihaveacamaro View Post
I think Megs Ultimate Compound and Polish are excellent beginner polishes. They both are extremely easy to work with and give great results as well.

Not saying that anything Matt said wasn't true, but for the price, UC and UP can't be beat imo. Especially when you are first starting out.
UC and UP are SMAT correct?

For others reading that don't know what SMAT (Super Microscopic Abrasive Technology) means is that the compound can be wiped off at anytime as compared to DAT (Diminishing Abrasives Technology) such as Menzerna. What this means is that you have to break down the compound or polish until it "flashes" a simple test for it to flash is to slightly wipe it with a finger, if it wipes off it's ready, if it pushes around oils it needs to be worked more.
Old 07-09-2013, 12:45 AM   #39
CamaroDreams07

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihaveacamaro View Post

That's good, especially since I didn't say anything about UC or UP
Old 07-09-2013, 08:56 AM   #40
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Drives: #198
Quote:
Originally Posted by ec1990 View Post
UC and UP are SMAT correct?
I believe so, not 100% sure though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
That's good, especially since I didn't say anything about UC or UP
I know, but you were talking about FG400 being awesome, and I didn't want to take anything away from that, but from price to performance perspective, UC and UP can't be beat

Please check out my youtube detailing channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:24 AM   #41
Tecca

Drives: ...
I have been thinking a lot about this thread and really still annoys me and tired of all the bad advise that is given on C5 and other forums for that matter. What I mean is telling someone especially a beginner that 105 and 205 works best or FG400 or Scratch X, or what ever compound or polish is best, is the worst advice I think anyone can give. That even goes with pad selection telling someone to start with orange pad or a yellow pad is bad advise as well.

I realize this is a Camaro forum, but you are not going to use the same pad selection, polish selection, or technique on a Camaro which is hard and then go to your neighbors BMW which is soft. UC and UP are great products and great when you are in a pinch. However like everything there is a learning curve.

What my outlook is for a beginner is first learn how to properly wash your car, and detail your interior. At the end of the day you enjoyed do it and you feel rewarded then move on to your engine bay, and ask yourself the same question. These are three of the easiest and safest places to detail. The last thing you want to do as a beginner is go online find a list of what might work for some, buy all this stuff and then either have it sit or start working on it and find yourself in a mess. Or more importantly give halfway done and be so bored/disgusted that you never want to touch your ride again.

So by the end of washing your car, cleaning your interior, and detailing your engine bay, and want to step up into polishing. My best advice is stick with a single company and learn their products. Such as Adams where they have decent products and are a great place to start easy to learn and have great customer service. Now I am not a fan of Adams (by choice) however for someone starting in detailing they truly make it easy for a novice and they do have great products. Then from there branch out and try other product lines.

At the end forget about Mequire's, Adam's, OTC, online purchase, or products in general and decide if you are going to truly enjoy this first, detailing should give you that same feeling when you drive your car or spending time with your family. It should be relaxing, fun, and enjoyable. Then come and start posting questions, reading other forums, or even emailing or Private Messaging. My door is always open, and there are a lot of other great people on this forum that are willing to help. Also email or talk to the manufacture as they are there for help as well.

Just enjoy doing it.
Tecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 11:31 AM   #42
ChadG

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecca View Post
I have been thinking a lot about this thread and really still annoys me and tired of all the bad advise that is given on C5 and other forums for that matter. What I mean is telling someone especially a beginner that 105 and 205 works best or FG400 or Scratch X, or what ever compound or polish is best, is the worst advice I think anyone can give. That even goes with pad selection telling someone to start with orange pad or a yellow pad is bad advise as well.

I realize this is a Camaro forum, but you are not going to use the same pad selection, polish selection, or technique on a Camaro which is hard and then go to your neighbors BMW which is soft. UC and UP are great products and great when you are in a pinch. However like everything there is a learning curve.

What my outlook is for a beginner is first learn how to properly wash your car, and detail your interior. At the end of the day you enjoyed do it and you feel rewarded then move on to your engine bay, and ask yourself the same question. These are three of the easiest and safest places to detail. The last thing you want to do as a beginner is go online find a list of what might work for some, buy all this stuff and then either have it sit or start working on it and find yourself in a mess. Or more importantly give halfway done and be so bored/disgusted that you never want to touch your ride again.

So by the end of washing your car, cleaning your interior, and detailing your engine bay, and want to step up into polishing. My best advice is stick with a single company and learn their products. Such as Adams where they have decent products and are a great place to start easy to learn and have great customer service. Now I am not a fan of Adams (by choice) however for someone starting in detailing they truly make it easy for a novice and they do have great products. Then from there branch out and try other product lines.

At the end forget about Mequire's, Adam's, OTC, online purchase, or products in general and decide if you are going to truly enjoy this first, detailing should give you that same feeling when you drive your car or spending time with your family. It should be relaxing, fun, and enjoyable. Then come and start posting questions, reading other forums, or even emailing or Private Messaging. My door is always open, and there are a lot of other great people on this forum that are willing to help. Also email or talk to the manufacture as they are there for help as well.

Just enjoy doing it.
What about those of us who detail to GET AWAY from our family?
ChadG is offline   Reply With Quote