Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 07-08-2013, 07:54 PM   #1
SmokiNstripes6913

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LS
Car Drying Method

Waffle Weave Towel vs. California Jelly Blade vs. Other Methods
Any preferences?
SmokiNstripes6913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:58 PM   #2
Maxspeed
~COTW 6/30/14~

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS
Master Blaster

http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-599-a...-metrovac.aspx
Mods: Heritage Grill, Blade Spoiler, Corrado Hoodliner Mural, Premium Engine Boxes, Radiator Shroud, Custom Painted Bowties, Dipstick & Engine Caps, RX Catch Can, Corsa cat back exhaust, CAI black powder coat cold air, Apex cold air intake scoop and Apex washer tank relocate kit, Dynatech SuperMAXX Ceramic Coated LT Headers, High Flow Cats, JRE470 Rough Idle Cam Package, DSS 1,000 RWHP Axels, Slowhawk Mustang Dyno Tune, QTP QTEC 66 Low Profile Cutouts and iTSX. 453 RWHP 427 RWTQ

WEB LINKS
BUILD
TIMING CHAIN FAILURE
TRANSITION FROM STOCK TO CAM VID
Maxspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:58 PM   #3
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
I prefer a method that doesn't involve touching the car.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:00 PM   #4
nUcLeArEnVoY
Oldbie that nobody knows

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS M6
Send a message via AIM to nUcLeArEnVoY
If you have hard water, the whole "leaf blower to dry the whole car" thing is not an option if you want a good shine. You'll get waterspots, I guarantee you: not big ones, but you'll still get them. This is especially apparent on a black car. A wipedown with a towel is essential to get a shine. A leafblower's purpose when it comes to drying should be to remove water from the nooks and crannies where it pools and is likely to drip if you drive. (Mirrors, grille, tail lights, etc.)

Out of those three you just mentioned, the waffle weave using the blotting and/or drag method is the best way to get the water off the car once you're done with your flooding method, and then a quick-detailer assisted wipedown with your absolute softest microfiber to remove streaks and any remaining waterspots to create the shine. I would fit in a leafblower to blow out the nooks and crannies after the flooding method and before the waffle weave.

The only way a leafblower can be your only source of drying ability would be if you're using 100% pure deionized water. That way, even the thousands of tiny droplets created by the leafblower will evaporate and leave no spots.

The California jelly blade is nice in theory, and if you have a completely clean surface free of any grit, it works. However, that risk is not worth it since if one piece of grit gets under the blade, then your paint is gonna get scratched badly.
nUcLeArEnVoY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:08 PM   #5
Maxspeed
~COTW 6/30/14~

I get some spotting when I use the Blaster. But part of my procedure is to use Adam's Detail Spray and a double soft towel after drying. This removes the spots.
Mods: Heritage Grill, Blade Spoiler, Corrado Hoodliner Mural, Premium Engine Boxes, Radiator Shroud, Custom Painted Bowties, Dipstick & Engine Caps, RX Catch Can, Corsa cat back exhaust, CAI black powder coat cold air, Apex cold air intake scoop and Apex washer tank relocate kit, Dynatech SuperMAXX Ceramic Coated LT Headers, High Flow Cats, JRE470 Rough Idle Cam Package, DSS 1,000 RWHP Axels, Slowhawk Mustang Dyno Tune, QTP QTEC 66 Low Profile Cutouts and iTSX. 453 RWHP 427 RWTQ

WEB LINKS
BUILD
TIMING CHAIN FAILURE
Old 07-08-2013, 08:12 PM   #6
nUcLeArEnVoY
Oldbie that nobody knows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxspeed View Post
I get some spotting when I use the Blaster. But part of my procedure is to use Adam's Detail Spray and a double soft towel after drying. This removes the spots.
I'm hearing good things about Microfiber Madness's "Dry Me Crazy" towel. It's not a waffleweave, but an actual Microfiber but with an ability to dry. It is apparently ridiculously... like, unfairly soft and super absorbent.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:16 PM   #7
Maxspeed
~COTW 6/30/14~

The best part of the blaster is that is gets every drop of water out of every crack and crevice, When I stop there is no hidden water flowing down my panels. Granted it takes me like 45 minutes to dry the car. I dry under the hood, trunk and door jambs as well.

WEB LINKS
BUILD
TIMING CHAIN FAILURE
Old 07-08-2013, 08:33 PM   #8
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by nUcLeArEnVoY View Post
I'm hearing good things about Microfiber Madness's "Dry Me Crazy" towel. It's not a waffleweave, but an actual Microfiber but with an ability to dry. It is apparently ridiculously... like, unfairly soft and super absorbent.
Best drying towel on the market, bar none. I was going to post a review on here but then I was strongly encouraged to take a vacation for a couple weeks.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:36 PM   #9
ChadG

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by nUcLeArEnVoY View Post
I've got two of them on the way and they should be here by Friday, can't wait to use them.
ChadG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:47 PM   #10
nUcLeArEnVoY
Oldbie that nobody knows

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
Best drying towel on the market, bar none. I was going to post a review on here but then I was strongly encouraged to take a vacation for a couple weeks.
Welcome back, man! Good to have you back.
Old 07-08-2013, 09:04 PM   #11
LIM3
it's mind bottling..

Drives: SGM
Sheet the water off as best you can, follow with a waffle weave and blot the drops.
Come back with a QD and a soft good quality towel and wipe the marks left behind.
Old 07-08-2013, 09:05 PM   #12
Ryanbabz71

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxspeed View Post
+1

Ryan
Ryanbabz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:06 PM   #13
LIM3
it's mind bottling..

Drives: SGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
Ordered some crazy piles but forgot to add the dry me crazy total damn it !
Old 07-08-2013, 09:10 PM   #14
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Maybe I'll get frisky and try out my new camera tomorrow in a Dry-Me-Crazy video review.