Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 04-13-2015, 03:24 AM   #1
Seanshanahan

Drives: 2013 1LT
Removing stubborn bugs?

I've been battling large amounts of bugs on my evening and morning drives. One week with my at least 50 hour work week schedule doesn't leave much time on weekends either. So my questions is can any one recommend a good actually the perfect big remover that would "eat away" the dead remanents without harming the clear coat? Wax isn't an issue cause I wash and de wax and re wax every few weeks to keep it fresh (I use cheap wax for short term application) it's also very dirty so a "car wash" with my soap would remove the wax any ways so it doesn't help too much using a more expensive long term wax. Anyhow is there any product that people would recommend I could use? I currently use bug and tar remover from turtle wax but it leaves a VERY greasy film afterwards and the stuff doesn't move them without heavy elbow grease which leaves me worried of scratching the clear coat. Any product recommendations would be fantastic thank you.
Seanshanahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 07:38 AM   #2
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Drives: #198
use a sealant like blackfire wet diamond. It's better at protecting your surface than waxes are. More durable too.

And then the easiest thing to do is take 2 minutes out of your time at the end of the day to wipe away FRESHLY hit bugs with a waterless wash. They'll come off super easy and you won't have to worry about any left over film from a bug and tar remover!

If you wait the entire week, they will be dried on and you will have to use your bug and tar remover.

Please check out my youtube detailing channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 07:03 PM   #3
Seanshanahan

So would I wash, clay, and spot treat light surface scratches, then just use that product as my "wax" persay? And after its applied should I put a wax over it to make it more aero dynamic? I have dogs and nieces and nephews that love to try and put hands/paws on the car and I need a slick coat in it to avoid scartches hence the wax I use is cheap cause I wash it almost every other weekend and the soap I use strips off the dirt and undortantely the wax as well, just not bugs and tar xD
Old 04-14-2015, 08:26 PM   #4
MostWanted

Drives: 2015 ZL1
I'm probably going to get some backlash from this but...I have found that the best thing to remove bugs from my vehicles is a dryer sheet. I simply wet the vehicle where the bugs are and wipe them off with the dryer sheet. Once the dryer sheet loses all of the fabric softener simply get a new one. I usually have the hose running at the same time as to not leave the fabric softener on the paint. Between waxes I make sure to hit the area with some detailing spray after I dry it. I used it on my black 2007 Z06 from the day I got it to the time I sold it four years later...no noticeable issues with the paint.
2015 Camaro ZL1 (#1090)

MostWanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 08:29 PM   #5
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Yes, you want to use the sealant instead of the wax. You can add wax over the sealant if you wish, but the Blackfire Wet Diamond Sealant is top notch quality and you don't want to put a not so good wax on top. It's like dressing a hot model in clothes you found from your grandmother's closet.

So in your case, I would recommend the sealant on its own. And soap won't take this sealant off.

Please check out my youtube detailing channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
Old 04-14-2015, 08:30 PM   #6
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MostWanted View Post
I'm probably going to get some backlash from this but...I have found that the best thing to remove bugs from my vehicles is a dryer sheet. I simply wet the vehicle where the bugs are and wipe them off with the dryer sheet. Once the dryer sheet loses all of the fabric softener simply get a new one. I usually have the hose running at the same time as to not leave the fabric softener on the paint. Between waxes I make sure to hit the area with some detailing spray after I dry it. I used it on my black 2007 Z06 from the day I got it to the time I sold it four years later...no noticeable issues with the paint.
Have you seen your bumper under proper sunlight? I've seen many cars where people have done this. It has always been a swirled out mess.

Old 04-14-2015, 09:06 PM   #7
tw78911sc

Drives: 14 1SS Camaro 1LE, NPP, Recaros

Bugs dissolve in seconds, rubber marks from track come right off.
tw78911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 09:34 PM   #8
Seanshanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihaveacamaro View Post
Yes, you want to use the sealant instead of the wax. You can add wax over the sealant if you wish, but the Blackfire Wet Diamond Sealant is top notch quality and you don't want to put a not so good wax on top. It's like dressing a hot model in clothes you found from your grandmother's closet.

So in your case, I would recommend the sealant on its own. And soap won't take this sealant off.
So the sealent itself is fairly slippery then? You say soap won't wash it off so how and when would I need to reapply it all again? What would remove it all so I could re coat as needed? I'm so new to all this if it wasn't clear
Old 04-14-2015, 11:12 PM   #9
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanshanahan View Post
So the sealent itself is fairly slippery then? You say soap won't wash it off so how and when would I need to reapply it all again? What would remove it all so I could re coat as needed? I'm so new to all this if it wasn't clear
Time will remove it. About 4 to 6 months of time. The only reason you would have to reapply it, is if you left bugs on your bumper for more than a few days. Bug guts are acidic and can penetrate the sealant. So as long as you care to remove the bugs on a regular basis, you can expect 4 to 6 months of coverage.

Old 04-16-2015, 03:17 AM   #10
Seanshanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihaveacamaro View Post
Time will remove it. About 4 to 6 months of time. The only reason you would have to reapply it, is if you left bugs on your bumper for more than a few days. Bug guts are acidic and can penetrate the sealant. So as long as you care to remove the bugs on a regular basis, you can expect 4 to 6 months of coverage.
I see I'll look into this product then. Any recommendations on removing the current bugs and tar that have been on there for a couple of weeks? I've been trying to remove them and it's proving to be difficult on the removal of them considering some have sat there for a couple of weeks (life decided to smack with me some busy weeks) so I hadn't had the time to be able to full remove them, and obviously I want all tar/bugs off so it's only the paint left on before I use that sealant on it.
Old 04-16-2015, 07:26 AM   #11
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Quote:
I see I'll look into this product then. Any recommendations on removing the current bugs and tar that have been on there for a couple of weeks? I've been trying to remove them and it's proving to be difficult on the removal of them considering some have sat there for a couple of weeks (life decided to smack with me some busy weeks) so I hadn't had the time to be able to full remove them, and obviously I want all tar/bugs off so it's only the paint left on before I use that sealant on it.
Well a couple of weeks is a long time. If we're talking similar bugs to the dinosaurs we get around here in Florida, there's going to be no way to remove them without getting aggressive. If you get aggressive you may have to polish it afterwards.

Old 04-16-2015, 01:31 PM   #12
Yendor

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS 1LE Hyper Blue
Keep it simple first, WD-40. I am sure you have some already and it won't harm anything. I made that suggestion to a Coworker and he tried it, came back and told me that the tar that was on his car came right off with the WD-40. Spray it, let it sit a few seconds and wipe away. If that doesn't work then get more aggressive with it.
Old 04-16-2015, 06:11 PM   #13
Seanshanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yendor View Post
Keep it simple first, WD-40. I am sure you have some already and it won't harm anything. I made that suggestion to a Coworker and he tried it, came back and told me that the tar that was on his car came right off with the WD-40. Spray it, let it sit a few seconds and wipe away. If that doesn't work then get more aggressive with it.
I'll look into the WD-40 then, you sure it won't harm the clear coat or anything? Hell will it work on the bugs as well? (As a spot treatment for the ones that don't come off on the first wash or second wash)
Old 04-16-2015, 06:30 PM   #14
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Quote:
I'll look into the WD-40 then, you sure it won't harm the clear coat or anything? Hell will it work on the bugs as well? (As a spot treatment for the ones that don't come off on the first wash or second wash)
Remember, just because something works doesn't mean it's ideal. Kerosene, WD-40, gasoline are all solvents and they will melt through tar pretty easily. They tend not to damage paint, but the risk is there. The key is not letting it sit for long and wash off with a large heavy stream of water. I've heard of it softening clear coats, but have no experience with that ever happening. It's been years since I've used any of those products on a car.

In my opinion, more headache than it's worth.

A little extra work, but more safety, if you use something like a Bug and Tar remover that is designed for cars. Those are petroleum based, so they are solvents as well.