Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 10-15-2012, 11:28 PM   #659
SummoneR
Paul

Drives: '10 2SS/RS M6 "Marauder"
Send a message via Yahoo to SummoneR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miro23 View Post
www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWG_Uxll5lY

I saw this video on youtube. this guy didn't provide any details on how to install the dimmer to the led lights and also the dome light. Does anyone know how to do that? What would I have to do besides the instructions in this thread? Also, I'm thinking about getting the Advanced Automotive Concepts LED Aqua lighting kit for the footwells and am wondering what size Ttap I need. Any ideas on the guage of these wires? What else do I need for this job? I'm new to wiring/car mods but this doesn't seem that hard. So far, I need the AAC light kit, t tap, dimmer switch...anything else I need for this install?
You would install a SPDT (Single Pole Double Throw) switch. (Reference image below)
The COM would run to the positive on your LED strip.
L1 would run to the GRAY wire on the BCM so that it will turn ON or OFF with the Dome light.
L2 would connect to the positive line of the dimmer switch.

This would allow the LED's to be powered from either source, but not both at the same time. That way it is off unless you turn it on with the dome light switch or when the door is open etc. You would keep the switch in the L1 position until you want to turn it on manually, at which point you flip the switch to L2 then use the dimmer to adjust the brightness as desired. But you will want to wire the dimmer to an ACC power otherwise it will remain on when you exit the vehicle.

If you want it to be powered by both at the same time, that would require wiring in diodes, and is more work that it is worth.

You can also use a SPCO (Single Pole Center Off) switch, which would allow for the following connections DOME/OFF/DIMMER

Last edited by SummoneR; 10-15-2012 at 11:44 PM.
SummoneR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 12:03 PM   #660
Miro23

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SummoneR View Post
You would install a SPDT (Single Pole Double Throw) switch. (Reference image below)
The COM would run to the positive on your LED strip.
L1 would run to the GRAY wire on the BCM so that it will turn ON or OFF with the Dome light.
L2 would connect to the positive line of the dimmer switch.

This would allow the LED's to be powered from either source, but not both at the same time. That way it is off unless you turn it on with the dome light switch or when the door is open etc. You would keep the switch in the L1 position until you want to turn it on manually, at which point you flip the switch to L2 then use the dimmer to adjust the brightness as desired. But you will want to wire the dimmer to an ACC power otherwise it will remain on when you exit the vehicle.

If you want it to be powered by both at the same time, that would require wiring in diodes, and is more work that it is worth.

You can also use a SPCO (Single Pole Center Off) switch, which would allow for the following connections DOME/OFF/DIMMER
sounds very complicated for a rookie but thanks for your response.
Old 10-16-2012, 12:19 PM   #661
SummoneR
Paul

Quote:
sounds very complicated for a rookie but thanks for your response.
The first part about a SPDT switch is really easy. Just go buy a SPDT switch and hook it up like I mentioned easy peasy lemon squeezie.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:56 PM   #662
Miro23

Exclamation Dimmer Option a must for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummoneR View Post
The first part about a SPDT switch is really easy. Just go buy a SPDT switch and hook it up like I mentioned easy peasy lemon squeezie.
The on/off/on switch does sound easy but I don't want to just have them on. I want to be able to control the brightness when I drive.

I'm learning about all this lingo so I'm going to do some homework on the following: Crimped, Spade/Ring Terminal/ TTap/ Mating terminal, fuse holder, SPDT Single Pole Double Throw, COM, Acc Power location.

What dimmer switch would you all recommend? Something not too expensive but will dim and turn off and on.
Old 10-17-2012, 02:07 AM   #663
SummoneR
Paul

Quote:
The on/off/on switch does sound easy but I don't want to just have them on. I want to be able to control the brightness when I drive.

I'm learning about all this lingo so I'm going to do some homework on the following: Crimped, Spade/Ring Terminal/ TTap/ Mating terminal, fuse holder, SPDT Single Pole Double Throw, COM, Acc Power location.

What dimmer switch would you all recommend? Something not too expensive but will dim and turn off and on.
Yes with an on/off/on or a SPDT switch you can wire a dimmer inline to one side to allow you to dim it or turn it off. I will draw something up for you tomorrow and get back to you.

As far as a dimmer. AAC has one for $16.95,CLICK HERE looks like a high quality item that will last a while. It would need to be hidden under the dash or some where out of sight.

They also have this tiny one that I use in my car. It is $14.95 CLICK HERE
I got mine from Ivan @ Southwest Speed, I can't find it on his site but I know he sells them. Anyway I like it because it's small and super easy to wire up. Plus it has different modes, you can have it on solid, or multiple different strobe types. Heart beat strobe, etc. and you can adjust the speed and brightness with this controller as well.
Currently mine is installe dINLINE with the dome light I plan to wire it inline with a SPDT witch here soon, so that I can have htem on while driving.

Oznium also carries one that is much smaller, but looks pretty interesting. it is $12.99
CLICK HERE
Old 10-17-2012, 08:27 PM   #664
Miro23

Dimmer Switch?

http://www.amazon.com/LEDwholesalers.../dp/B003L4KKF2

Will this dimmer switch work with AAC led footwell lights?
Old 10-17-2012, 08:32 PM   #665
Miro23

ok I ordered the dimmer and the aac led footwell light kit. What other supplies do I need for the install? I don't have any tools that crimp or strip etc. what do you all recommend for this install? What other things did you need? I do have ties. ;-) Thanks for your patience with this newby
Old 10-17-2012, 09:11 PM   #666
SummoneR
Paul

Quote:
ok I ordered the dimmer and the aac led footwell light kit. What other supplies do I need for the install? I don't have any tools that crimp or strip etc. what do you all recommend for this install? What other things did you need? I do have ties. ;-) Thanks for your patience with this newby
That dimmer should work fine, it is made for LED's. Look almost just like the AAC one. Just put together from the front rather than the back.

You will need some Wire T-Taps (if you plan to connect to the gray dome wire).
A wire stripper cutter combo. LIKE THESE or THESE I use some that allow me to cut the sheathing off a multitude of thicknesses with one cutter not a notched one like I posted. But I have been stripping wires for years, it takes practice to not cut through the copper with Adjustable Strippers that I use.
You will need some electrical tape. I prefer to solder my wires and use heat shrink for a clean lasting install. But a twist and wrap in tape should suffice as long as you get a good tight twist on the wire, and on the tape. A good trick with the tape, is to take a small zip tie and zip tie the end where you stop the tape, that way it does not come unraveled on you over time.

Get something rigid to attach the LED strip to. I used a strip of "Cabinet to Wall" trim. I painted it black, then used some better 3M automotive tape to attach it to the stick. I then used small clear zip ties to zip tie it to the stick just in case the tape fails (which it probably won't but you never know).
You will then want to zip tie the whole thing up underneath some how, you may have to drill a small hole in the plastic to run a tie through. Or you can link a few ties together to get over to a good zip tie attachment point.

You may need some patch wire depending on how far you plan to run everything, match the gauge of the gray wire 12Ga? I don't recall now.

If you plan to hook it up to a switch too you, will need a SPDT switch.

You will need pliers to crimp down on the T-Tap.

You can also use butt type connectors to connect everything, but you will need some crimpers for those too.
If you do that you can either use the male/female version of THESE. If you want the ability to unplug them later.
Or you can use THESE to make it permanent without solder or having to twist and tape.

That's probably your best route if this is your first time, just get the connectors, strippers, and crimpers. Be sure to crimp them hard, fold the wire over if you have to to get a nice tight fit.

You can use something like THIS or like THIS too.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:29 PM   #667
Miro23

@ summoneR - Thank you so much! those links were a big help in getting an idea of what everything looks like. Do I also need a fuse since I am getting using the dimmer? I've seen other threads for footwell installs on this site show the power wire looped, cut into 2 pieces and plugged into a red fuse then the other wire goes into the fuse box with one of those female connectors. Do I need to do this to protect the dimmer?
Old 10-17-2012, 09:38 PM   #668
Miro23

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150945
@summeroneR this is the loop I was talking about with the fuse in my previous post. Basically it is the same install as using a switch but instead of the toggle switch I'm using a dimmer, right?
Old 10-17-2012, 10:24 PM   #669
SummoneR
Paul

Yeah that is a good place to run a fuse/power from. I don't have a fuse on mine... yet. LOL But I plan to put one in. So I would it's an added precaution for sure.
Old 10-17-2012, 11:20 PM   #670
SummoneR
Paul

Here is a quick wiring guide I said I would draw up for you.
Old 10-17-2012, 11:40 PM   #671
SummoneR
Paul

Here is an updated picture for the type of Dimmer you have.
Old 10-18-2012, 12:22 PM   #672
Miro23

wow this diagram is awesome. Thanks for taking the time. Quick question. do I need a SPDT toggle switch as well as a dimmer switch? Can't I just have the dimmer switch? The youtube video "Dual powered dimmer camaro" www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWG_Uxll5lY didn't mention the on/off/on toggle switch. How do I wire it without the toggle switch, if its possible?

you have fuses in 2 places - would I do a loop with 3 female connectors and a butt connector - like in the beginning of the thread (pictures) for these 2 fuses?

What do the little semi circles mean? I'm new to wiring diagrams but yours looks amazing, one of the most easy to understand wiring diagrams I've seen. Thanks again