Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-11-2009, 07:03 PM   #15
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
This is the first I have heard of these kinds of issues. Mine has none of those issues.
Let's not go off the deep end here. This is one car with easily fixable items although this should never have left the plant this way. As far as your review goes, quality control aside, there are so many things I disagree with you, I don't know where to begin. I will simply say that based on your review, I don't think this car is for you.
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 07:03 PM   #16
colin911

Drives: 1985 Camaro Z28
Yikes. However, the orange peel doesn't look any worse than most new cars these days. That a-pillar trim is just hideous!!
colin911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 07:04 PM   #17
LabRat

Drives: Wheeled Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ91 View Post
The back seat bump, are you talking about where they have the strap to pull to fold the seats?
If your talking about the lump, thats where the strap is fold the rear seat.
But i do agree on the pillar, and the paint, well thats got me nervous!
If that was a strap hidey hole, why in the hell wouldn't they center it?

(yeah, I'm anal! for 40k, you damn bet I am!)
LabRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 07:04 PM   #18
Legend
Hello!

Drives: 2008 JSB Z06!
Wow...there are some deal breakers in that thing for me. Glad mine was all good and other than a small, very small...I mean really small paint defect on the front facia, I have yet to find anything like that on my SIM 2SS/RS.
Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 07:06 PM   #19
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
I smell panic dejour..........
ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 07:07 PM   #20
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
If that was a strap hidey hole, why in the hell wouldn't they center it?

(yeah, I'm anal! for 40k, you damn bet I am!)
Honestly i wondered the same thing, they shouldve located it to the side or atleast the center. But atleast we know that its the strap opening.
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 07:07 PM   #21
ArcAngel

Drives: 07 Black Cobalt SS/SC
Send a message via AIM to ArcAngel
All I have to say is wow that's not good and doesn't help GM perceptions with people who are not as understanding as GM guys
Old 05-11-2009, 07:08 PM   #22
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackinBlackSS/RS View Post
This is the first I have heard of these kinds of issues. Mine has none of those issues.
Let's not go off the deep end here. This is one car with easily fixable items although this should never have left the plant this way. As far as your review goes, quality control aside, there are so many things I disagree with you, I don't know where to begin. I will simply say that based on your review, I don't think this car is for you.
I understand these are build defects that not all cars will have, and if mine doesn't have them, I'm good. The rest of my review was about how much I liked the car. How is it not the right car for me? Please elaborate.

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
shining at the end of every day
Just a dream away
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 07:11 PM   #23
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
First, A-pillar trim is basically a snap in attachment. Likely needs to be popped back in place. Not a huge deal, should have been caught in prep. And the part may have been removed and reinstalled for some other reason and not re installed properly. I haven't seen anything like this in any Camaro so far and I've seen way more than you guys.

Second, gap in the rear seat is where the pull tab for the folding seat comes out. IT IS NOT POOR QUALITY IN THE STITCHING. Someone clearly pushed it back in. Look at any other photo on this site including mine and you'll see the pull tab coming out of the slot.

The "Orange peel" is on nearly every car to some degree. Lighting can and often does make it look worse than it is. This isn't a problem for me. But you'll have to judge for yourselves. Mass production does not allow for "perfect" paint jobs. The paint on the Camaro is equal to any other GM car or truck.

I can't speak to the other issues as they don't show up in photos.

Don't over react to this.
Old 05-11-2009, 07:11 PM   #24
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
stovt001

Do you have any info about this car? Is it a pre-pro..Is it a CTF...Do you have a VIN?
ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 07:12 PM   #25
stovt001

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ91 View Post
Honestly i wondered the same thing, they shouldve located it to the side or atleast the center. But atleast we know that its the strap opening.
It looks too small to be the strap opening to me. I still don't see anything other than a popped seam. I really hope I didn't just start the next panic du jour. That was not my intent. d'oh.

Just a dream away
Old 05-11-2009, 07:13 PM   #26
ClaymoreZ28

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IOM Camaro
Pretty balanced write up thanks

Like many folks, when I eventually pick up my car I will be pretty hyper - so its a good heads up that its good practice to really check things over.

Clearly some surprising flaws here - but also not time for everyone to go in full on panic/meltdown mode.

Biggest worry for me would be waiting till November for car then having to send it back to get lots of items like this fixed.
I'm sure that GM folks will be watching forums like this and feeding back to the crew in Oshawa too. (who also watch here)

Internet just dramatically accelerates rate of flow of information - and if used properly that is all good.

Just lets all stay sane
Old 05-11-2009, 07:18 PM   #27
stovt001

Quote:
Originally Posted by shnomac77 View Post
stovt001

Do you have any info about this car? Is it a pre-pro..Is it a CTF...Do you have a VIN?
Nope sorry. I don't think it is a CTF. I think it is one of the V6 models built for dealer demos.

#3 has some good points. Apparently that is the hole for the strap, so that is a non-issue. Case solved.

The A-pillar trim, well, we tried pushing it in place. Either it is stuck, warped, or some broken. It wasn't going back into place. I imagine it could be fixed by the dealer though.

Orange peel is present on nearly all cars, but this is one of the poorer examples. The flat (matte) paint spot sorta shows up in the picture, but not nearly as much as it does in person.

Your results may vary.

Just a dream away
Old 05-11-2009, 07:19 PM   #28
TLSTWIN
Romans10:9-13

Drives: /\yes, this is me/\
I have sat in 6 or 7 new production model camaros and have never seen the A pillar like that. the scuffed texture of the door trim I never paid attention too, the orange peel on the car can't see it is any worse than ANY other car. I have not seen it on any of the ones I have seen though, the supposed rip and stitching in the back seat is suppose to have a strap through it to release the back seat.