Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 04-19-2024, 05:37 PM   #1
craigd853

Drives: 2010 SS Camaro
New Suspension Parts Trouble

Hello, I have a question for you guys. I have a 2010 camaro ss with Pedders coil overs I just put on the car. I lowered the car 1 inch all the way around and I also put new BMR non adjustable rear control arms along with UMI control arms on the rear. I have had my car to two different shops and they cannot get the tow straight on the rear end. The last shop completely screwed everything up and now my left rear cv joint is clicking while driving down the road. This second shop also told me that the reason they couldnt get the toe in on the rear was because the cradle was bent. This car has 30,000 miles on it and has been babied. I need help to know what to look for or who to take this to who knows what they are doing. I first took it to the dealer who at least had it steering straight. This past time I got the car back from the second shop my steering wheel is off center and like I said there is a clicking noise that sounds like its coming from the left rear. Never had any issues before changing to the coilovers and rear upgrades that I mentioned earlier. I looked at the rear cradle and the marks on the cradle are from me putting jack stands under the cradle not from it being torqued. Perplexed that it's this hard to find someone that knows what they are doing with this platform. Suggestions please
craigd853 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2024, 07:18 AM   #2
Joe.G

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 6SP Ashen Grey
I had an issue getting my rear to the specs I wanted using the BMR Non adjustable rear control arms and only lowering an inch, They are meant for more than an inch and less then an inch the adjustable ones should be used. I did get some Detroit speed camber bolts for the rear and I did have to open up the adjustment slot a little on the cradle to get my spec. I suggest finding a competent shop that is familiar with performance alignments.
SCT X4 Dynosteve,
Hotckis 1" Springs & Chassis Max Brace
BMR Adjustable Swaybars,Trailing Arms, Adjustable Toe Rod, LCA & Z28 UCA Bushings Hendrix Solid Cradle Bushings
Pedders Radius Rod Inserts Strut tower brace
Hero Smoked Tail and 3rd Brake Light, Diode Dynamic SL1 Fog Lights
AeroForce Dual gauge/Autometer pillar mount.
Joe.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2024, 07:36 AM   #3
fz4k98

Drives: 2013 1ss
When a repair shop states they cannot achieve something because ... you need to ask them to show you the area that is bent. They could be just trying to excuse their behavior to get you out the door. No evidence is strictly an opinion.

I have been working on aligning the rear on my car and have seen how any change to one (ride height, camber, toe) will then throw off the others. Also, lowering a car can limit the adjustablility of the camber bolts. Last year I switched to adjusting the toe to allow me to place the camber bolts back toward center and allow more adjustability which when camber is reajusted will then realign toe.

You may be able to find a good mechanic by contacting any performance shops around. Some do not do their alignments but have a go to shop for them.
fz4k98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2024, 05:35 AM   #4
craigd853

Drives: 2010 SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigd853 View Post
Hello, I have a question for you guys. I have a 2010 camaro ss with Pedders coil overs I just put on the car. I lowered the car 1 inch all the way around and I also put new BMR non adjustable rear control arms along with UMI control arms on the rear. I have had my car to two different shops and they cannot get the tow straight on the rear end. The last shop completely screwed everything up and now my left rear cv joint is clicking while driving down the road. This second shop also told me that the reason they couldnt get the toe in on the rear was because the cradle was bent. This car has 30,000 miles on it and has been babied. I need help to know what to look for or who to take this to who knows what they are doing. I first took it to the dealer who at least had it steering straight. This past time I got the car back from the second shop my steering wheel is off center and like I said there is a clicking noise that sounds like its coming from the left rear. Never had any issues before changing to the coilovers and rear upgrades that I mentioned earlier. I looked at the rear cradle and the marks on the cradle are from me putting jack stands under the cradle not from it being torqued. Perplexed that it's this hard to find someone that knows what they are doing with this platform. Suggestions please
Thanks for the suggestions guys, and I'm currently trying to find a shop here in the Baltimore area who knows what they are doing as I already have 750.00 in two different shops with no results just excuses. Appreciate the help
craigd853 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2024, 07:36 AM   #5
MSgt O

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS Vert LS3/M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigd853 View Post
Thanks for the suggestions guys, and I'm currently trying to find a shop here in the Baltimore area who knows what they are doing as I already have 750.00 in two different shops with no results just excuses. Appreciate the help
call a well known speed shop and ask who they would use like he said. Best advice Ive gotten came from the guys who do this kind of work.
MSgt O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2024, 08:46 AM   #6
trashbasket

Drives: 2010 Camaro
https://www.phastekperformance.com/2...mber-87430.htm

I had to use those to get my stuff right. Like others have said, very doubtful something is bent. In my case I just needed more adjustment room after all the upgrades.
Old 04-24-2024, 09:24 AM   #7
The_bald_eagle_machine
Anthony S

Drives: 2011 chevrolet camaro 2ss/rs
I was able to get my car within good specs using BcRacing coilovers and the fixed BMR lower control arms. I did have to take it to 3 different shops before it was right though. The third time I took it to a speed shop and had them align it. Best alignment I ever had done. Car tracks straight as an arrow, and is tight. When I had the discount tire and local tire shops align the car it was never right.

Mods: Texas Speed 2 inch headers, high flow cats, and X-pipe. Custom mid-pipe, Borla Xr1 mufflers. Torqstorm Supercharger, 3.1" pulley, ZL1 fuel pump. MGW Shifter, Mcleod RST clutch, Tick master cylinder and Tick Billet bushing reinforced slave cylinder. DSS One-piece 3.5" Driveshaft, Metco Driveshaft safety loop, BCRacing Coilovers. BMR Poly Diff bushings, Poly Rear cradle bushings, Sub-frame connectors, Lower control arms, camber arms, and toe links.
The_bald_eagle_machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2024, 03:10 PM   #8
trashbasket

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_bald_eagle_machine View Post
I was able to get my car within good specs using BcRacing coilovers and the fixed BMR lower control arms. I did have to take it to 3 different shops before it was right though. The third time I took it to a speed shop and had them align it. Best alignment I ever had done. Car tracks straight as an arrow, and is tight. When I had the discount tire and local tire shops align the car it was never right.

Yea, that's been my experience as well. I had to take car 2.5 hours away to get it aligned and suspension dialed in correctly. Even went out and did some street hits with the shop owner to be sure. I should have mentioned that. You have to take it somewhere experienced in doing a "racing alignment" or something like it. Regular spot ain't gonna cut it unfortunately. Some places you are lucky if they even put a wrench on the alignment bolts.

"did you guys clock the bushings?"
"sure did"
yea right
Old 05-03-2024, 07:44 PM   #9
Rusty Shackleford

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS
My advise is to read this thread thoroughly.

https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71994

There is a wealth of information scattered throughout. There's also a particular post that outlines the procedure for setting the rear toe and camber, and a lot of other info as well. I printed it out and keep it in the file for my car both digital and hard copy. As I'm amassing parts for a suspension upgrade now myself, I am consulting the thread often to make sure the things I'm doing should play nicely together while achieving my goals.

I literally interviewed a half dozen different alignment techs before I chose the one I'd let work on my car. Had a couple of shops tell me they didn't have time for me to talk to the tech, I walked out. Each of us are different, but I refuse to drop my car off somewhere and walk away without knowing who will be working on my car. Most often I'm lurking around, learning as well as monitoring. Not making myself a nuisance, but available if the least little problem arises.. Even my local tire shop has only one guy who's allowed to touch my vehicles. I don't want special treatment, but I do expect the quality of service to match the $$ I'm paying for.
Rusty Shackleford is offline   Reply With Quote