Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Closed Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 08:28 PM   #85
mike25

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BATMAN! View Post
Im curious as to why you think that? You will just have two options it can either be track ready or not.
If theyre offering, id expect the price jump is hefty..Probably basing their performance expectations of the optimal setup, and you may be able to buy a 650hp car, but it will be less streetable and track useable (basically just the power and not all the handling/ traction goodies).
2LT/RS M6 CGM VIN#53104 SOLD

2012 Black 2SS/RS w/ Hurst-

Mods:
Corsa catback, SSE, Vararam

Last edited by mike25; 11-16-2011 at 08:50 PM.
Old 11-16-2011, 08:29 PM   #86
tooslow
Banned

Drives: 4 Wheels, Gasoline Engine
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBear View Post
The ZL1 is intended to be a track ready car. If one doesn't intend to take the car to the track and drive it on twisty roads, maybe the ZL1 is not the right car for him or her. The ZL1 is not intended to be a car that's main use is drag racing. If the drag strip is one's thing, then maybe the COPO Camaro would be a more appropriate choice than the ZL1.
I tend to agree but reality is, you will see more people taking them to the drag strip than the road courses. I've seen more Nissan GT-R's at the dragstrip than I have ever seen on all the other track types combined! I'm pretty sure that car was not designed for drag racing, either.
Old 11-16-2011, 08:29 PM   #87
tomsws6

Drives: 97 ws6 RIP
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicolasKL View Post
And if it allows the 650 horse GT500 to undercut the 580 horse ZL1 on base price, it seems like a very smart move.

I could be wrong but I seriously doubt it will undercut the price of the Z. Iv been wrong before and you never know but ......
Old 11-16-2011, 08:31 PM   #88
BATMAN!
Banned

Drives: Corvette, F350, Durango but no svt
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShnOmac View Post
A base GT500 will not be track ready compared to a base ZL1.
No but that does not mean the option isnt available at what will most likely be very close in price. The only thing it means is Ford gave you the option and GM did not. The ZL1 may have more tech in it but it doesnt necessarily mean it will be better just look at the GT vs SS.
Old 11-16-2011, 08:32 PM   #89
BATMAN!
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooslow View Post
I tend to agree but reality is, you will see more people taking them to the drag strip than the road courses. I've seen more Nissan GT-R's at the dragstrip than I have ever seen on all the other track types combined! I'm pretty sure that car was not designed for drag racing, either.
Not a fan of the GTR but it does a great job at the strip.
Old 11-16-2011, 08:41 PM   #90
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Quote:
Driving at 9/10ths on "twisty (public) roads" is stupid and irresponsible and is going to end up putting you in the ditch or a curb or a guard rail.

If you're driving on public roads such that you need a diff cooler, you're a d!ck.
I think you misread his post.....
Old 11-16-2011, 08:48 PM   #91
tooslow
Banned

Drives: 4 Wheels, Gasoline Engine
Quote:
Not a fan of the GTR but it does a great job at the strip.
Agree. And I have no doubt the ZL1 will be just as impressive at the same venue. I was simply noting that while GB believes buying a ZL1 and putting it on the dragstrip would be a travesty (and a poor decision by the buyer if that were their intent) it is likely the very location we will see most of them in action.

Just because the ZL1 is a "track-ready" car does not necessarily mean that the owners will actually take them there and take advantage of the stuff that would only make a difference in that type of racing.

One last point for GB. If GM did not think a lot of ZL1 buyers were going to drag race it, why was so much time spent on dialing in the launch control and testing it on an actual dragstrip? Heck, they have a video showing them optimizing the car for that very venue!

Last edited by tooslow; 11-16-2011 at 09:37 PM.
Old 11-16-2011, 08:51 PM   #92
mike25

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
No but that does not mean the option isnt available at what will most likely be very close in price. The only thing it means is Ford gave you the option and GM did not. The ZL1 may have more tech in it but it doesnt necessarily mean it will be better just look at the GT vs SS.
highly doubt it...close in price- if it was that close, they would just combine the package. id expect probably a 4-7k increase for the package.
2LT/RS M6 CGM VIN#53104 SOLD

2012 Black 2SS/RS w/ Hurst-

Mods:
Corsa catback, SSE, Vararam
Old 11-16-2011, 08:54 PM   #93
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Quote:
Agree. And I have no doubt the ZL1 will be just as impressive at the same venue. I was simply noting that while GB believes buying a ZL1 and putting it on the dragstrip would be a travesty (and a poor decision by the buyer if that were their intent) it is likely the very location we will shem most of them in action.
I will let him comment on his post but I think you took it a little out of context...
Old 11-16-2011, 09:02 PM   #94
GoldenBear
Bear Backer

Drives: 69 Camaro Z/28, 69 Corvette Conv
Quote:
Driving at 9/10ths on "twisty (public) roads" is stupid and irresponsible and is going to end up putting you in the ditch or a curb or a guard rail.

If you're driving on public roads such that you need a diff cooler, you're a d!ck.
If was referring to twisty road courses. I don't advocate driving over the posted speed limit on public roads.
Current Chevrolets: 1969 Camaro Z/28 -- 1969 427/390 Corvette Convertible -- 1970 350/300 Corvette Convertible -- 2013 Camaro ZL1 Convertible -- CRT / Exposed CF Weave Hood Insert / Suede Package / Polished Wheels / MN6
Old 11-16-2011, 09:12 PM   #95
Weezerj

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS -- 02 Escalade
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
You know-- rarely have I taken someone on publicly.....

I do not think you will "re-consider" because in order to 're-consider'-- one would have to 'consider' in the first place ......

.....and frankly I've not seen any positive post from you yet.

True, I don't have the time to read every post....but I consistently see you bashing the ZL1.

The name Camaro means "friend" -- "Pal" --- or "Comrade" - and there are those of us who have tried to keep the Camaro community intact for many years. We've watched people try to divide and conquer. There are moderators on this site that work into the wee hours of the morning - so that we can have this place to come and talk about the Camaro. (..that's why it's called Camaro5 - ) There is nothing wrong with discussion from all sides- but that also means that one has to have an open mind - and perhaps I'm wrong - but it does not seem that you have an open mind about the ZL1.....again, perhaps I'm wrong.

Are you trying to divide this community???

If that's your purpose, then may I suggest that you might be happpier on another forum?

I couldn't agree more....

Quote:
If you're going by weight, yes, yes you do.

and while you're at it, take this guy with you.....
Old 11-16-2011, 09:13 PM   #96
GoldenBear
Bear Backer

Drives: 69 Camaro Z/28, 69 Corvette Conv
Quote:
Agree. And I have no doubt the ZL1 will be just as impressive at the same venue. I was simply noting that while GB believes buying a ZL1 and putting it on the dragstrip would be a travesty (and a poor decision by the buyer if that were their intent) it is likely the very location we will shem most of them in action.
I think you appear be inferring too much into what I posted. I simply stated that the ZL1 wasn't intended for the drag strip as its main use, and that if one's thing is drag racing, maybe another vehicle would be more appropriate

Quote:
One last point for GB. If GM did not think a lot of ZL1 buyers were not going to drag race it, why was so much time spent on dialing in the launch control and testing it on an actual dragstrip? Heck, they have a video showing them optimizing the car for that very venue!
Again, I think, too much inference. I believe that people will take the ZL1 to the drag strip, but the ZL1 is intended to be a car that is much more than a 1/4 mile vehicle, unlike the 9560 COPO. I believe the ZL1 is a track car first and foremost, but has features that will make it perform at the drag strip. If one's main intent is drag racing, I think that there are more appropriate choices in vehicles than the ZL1.
Current Chevrolets: 1969 Camaro Z/28 -- 1969 427/390 Corvette Convertible -- 1970 350/300 Corvette Convertible -- 2013 Camaro ZL1 Convertible -- CRT / Exposed CF Weave Hood Insert / Suede Package / Polished Wheels / MN6
Old 11-16-2011, 09:18 PM   #97
BATMAN!
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike25 View Post
highly doubt it...close in price- if it was that close, they would just combine the package. id expect probably a 4-7k increase for the package.
Why would they combine it? They dont do it now instead you get to decide. 49,605 without the track pack 53,600 with it so if we assume it will be at the worst 4k more thats still only like a 2k fifference once you figure in the GG tax on the ZL1. And I would bet its not going to start at 57k maybe 55 or 56k for the upraded version.

From Fords website not sure if this is suppose to be two seperate options or what

SVT Performance Package
3.31 axle with TORSEN differential, unique wheels, R-Compound tires, Bilstein adjustable dampers, unique springs, unique interior touches, front fascia dive planes
SVT Track Pack
External oil cooler, transmission cooler pump, differential cooler, fog lamp delete, brake cooling ducts

Last edited by BATMAN!; 11-16-2011 at 09:30 PM.
Old 11-16-2011, 10:30 PM   #98
Scarrzz
No Fear-No Limits- Camaro

Drives: '13 ZL1 or Suzuki Hayabusa
Quote:

Nice to meet you, my name is D!ck.

You should see the lonely roads in rural Louisiana, they look like a slalom course. I defy someone who loves driving to take a car that holds the road so well between my house and town without pushing it around the curves.

I don't want to jinx myself, but in 30 years of driving, I've never left anything but rubber on the road, no glass, no plastic, no blood. That's what the steering wheel and brembo's are for.

Oh, extra points for the deer & cows I've dodged.

Closed Thread