Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-16-2010, 05:11 PM   #1
naga
Always be positive!!!

Drives: IMB 1ss/ MT
Question Clutch or Gear Problem I dont know

Hey guys recently I noticed a gear or clutch problem on my LS3 . Currently have 17K miles on it and, I noticed that it is very hard to shift it to the first gear!! For an example at traffic light it is hard to shift it to the first gear it just wouldn’t engage or wouldn't let me shift, I press the clutch right to the bottom but it just wouldn’t engage!!! It is happening very often now!!! Any ideas on what’s wrong with it or TSB on this??

Borla ATAK catback/ K&N CAI/ Diablo Tune for now
naga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 05:13 PM   #2
cab2g
love. my. car.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
I saw in my 2011 owners manual that if that happens, just release the clutch and press it again. I don't know why. but apparently it happens so much that it's in the manual!!! weird! Btw, this happens on my 2000 pickup truck all the time.
Old 08-16-2010, 05:15 PM   #3
ss=scuba steve

Drives: 2011 1SS Cyber Gray Metallic
Happened to me once, like cab said I let off and re-applied and it slid right in. Hope you don't have a bad synchro though, good luck either way....
ss=scuba steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 05:51 PM   #4
DarricSS

Drives: '10 Camaro SS
This is common for a manual tranny. Usually happens when coming to a rolling stop in neutral with the clutch in. You will get use to pumping the clutch at the stop and putting it in gear.
Old 08-16-2010, 06:06 PM   #5
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarricSS View Post
This is common for a manual tranny. Usually happens when coming to a rolling stop in neutral with the clutch in. You will get use to pumping the clutch at the stop and putting it in gear.
So, if you leave it in gear with the clutch in when you stop rolling then all is well? (Pop it to Neutral once you stop and then release the clutch)
Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 06:15 PM   #6
DarricSS

Drives: '10 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
So, if you leave it in gear with the clutch in when you stop rolling then all is well? (Pop it to Neutral once you stop and then release the clutch)
Probably, shifting is so second nature to me now-a-days never really paid attention to what prevents this from happening. Just like wiggling the shifter back and forth to mentally tell myself the car is not in gear when releasing the clutch with the car on in my garage. Pumping the clutch at a stop light to put it in gear is just what i do out of habit.

Now if you were road coursing the car and trying to get it in first gear at speed and it didn't go that would probably be a clutch problem. *shrugs
Old 08-16-2010, 07:00 PM   #7
cab2g
love. my. car.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
That's what they call riding the clutch. That's bad for your clutch. But then again I did it for the first 5 years I owned my pickup truck and it's still on it's first clutch after 10 years.
Old 08-16-2010, 07:07 PM   #8
naga
Always be positive!!!

Drives: IMB 1ss/ MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by cab2g View Post
I saw in my 2011 owners manual that if that happens, just release the clutch and press it again. I don't know why. but apparently it happens so much that it's in the manual!!! weird! Btw, this happens on my 2000 pickup truck all the time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss=scuba steve View Post
Happened to me once, like cab said I let off and re-applied and it slid right in. Hope you don't have a bad synchro though, good luck either way....
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarricSS View Post
I tired releaseing the clutch and pressing it again it still wouldn't let me shift, also i tried pumping the clutch still find it hard to shift!!! what is a bad synchro?? Is there TSB for this??

Borla ATAK catback/ K&N CAI/ Diablo Tune for now
naga is offline   Reply With Quote