Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

View Poll Results: Do you want to see an automatic option for the ZL1?
Yes 1,312 66.30%
No 667 33.70%
Voters: 1979. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-06-2011, 08:10 PM   #379
nards444

Drives: 1SS/RS Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
OOOOOHHHHHHH..................... heck ya........

You bring up a damn good point.

Some of you guys impress the heck out of me. If I had to shelve my car for months at a time, I wouldn't have even bought it. Ok, maybe I would, but certainly wouldn't have done 15k worth of work to it. THAT's 15k doing all the work myself.

Yes, you are right. NO WAY I spend that kind of cake on a car I get to put up for 6 months at a time.
yeah true i mean there are guys that say they would or drive em in the winter. But its really not realistic, if you want to do it then your looking at new rims and tires, and a bunch of weight in the trunk. I have an F250 I got used and the truck was a florida truck. I got it last fall and it was an 08, no rust on the bottom at all not lick. washing it up this spring and guess what had appeared, rust.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:39 PM   #380
So Cal Camaro
So Cal Race Team

Drives: 2013 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSLarry View Post
No way. Why kill the fun. GT500 owners would laugh at you.
They're Ford owners, who cares what they think....
Old 04-07-2011, 01:29 AM   #381
SuperCarEnthusiast

Drives: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by nards444 View Post
they want an elite muscle car image. Just pricing it at 50k does that without even talking tranny. Again they dont care if they sell a lot of these cars, and they never will. This car is a brand image. Either way it doesnt matter, im not getting one and either are you. Personally a waste of money, rather have my ss and 29ft Fountain than just have a car. Again this car wont be for everybody due to tranny, price etc.
If you think that the ZL1 is for image and they are marketing it so that only a few will be sold; then GM and Chevrolet are on the road back to bankruptcy with that type of attitude. If you going to produce a car; you want it to be successful business wise: make a lot of sales, make profit on each unit and have demand for it in the future.

So you saying that Chevrolet will only sell it in manaul to limit the sales of the ZL1 to those who are car enthusiast represented only by the fact that they would by a stick.

BMW now offers the M3 in dual clutch automatic. I would suspect that a M3 buyer is even more of a car enthusiast then a ZL1 buyer is. The M3 buyer will shell out around $70K while the ZL1 will be in the high $50K or even low $60K range.

If you want to get new buyers interest in Chevrolet and specifically the ZL1; you need to broaden your options not limit them to manual that are definitely in the minority of drivers on the road and maybe in the near future on the local tracks too.

I think times are changing and the manual is obsolete. Dual clutch and automatics are the future of automobiles.
SuperCarEnthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 08:00 AM   #382
nards444

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperCarEnthusiast View Post
If you think that the ZL1 is for image and they are marketing it so that only a few will be sold; then GM and Chevrolet are on the road back to bankruptcy with that type of attitude. If you going to produce a car; you want it to be successful business wise: make a lot of sales, make profit on each unit and have demand for it in the future.

So you saying that Chevrolet will only sell it in manaul to limit the sales of the ZL1 to those who are car enthusiast represented only by the fact that they would by a stick.

BMW now offers the M3 in dual clutch automatic. I would suspect that a M3 buyer is even more of a car enthusiast then a ZL1 buyer is. The M3 buyer will shell out around $70K while the ZL1 will be in the high $50K or even low $60K range.

If you want to get new buyers interest in Chevrolet and specifically the ZL1; you need to broaden your options not limit them to manual that are definitely in the minority of drivers on the road and maybe in the near future on the local tracks too.

I think times are changing and the manual is obsolete. Dual clutch and automatics are the future of automobiles.
All good points but any sports car priced at over 50k is starting to be in elite status, and its not in the range for everybody to afford. At 50k a ton of them WILL NOT be sold flat out, might have a good first year but they arent selling 50k units or anything like that
Old 04-07-2011, 12:50 PM   #383
SuperCarEnthusiast

Quote:
All good points but any sports car priced at over 50k is starting to be in elite status, and its not in the range for everybody to afford. At 50k a ton of them WILL NOT be sold flat out, might have a good first year but they arent selling 50k units or anything like that

Well I think you just made my case. Chevrolet would improving their sales and profits on the ZL1 by offering an automatic option to that of the manual. It would cost them very little to do so since it is already being used in the Cadillac CTS-V. It could increase sales at least 2 maybe up to 5 times that of the manual.

The point is to make ZL1 successful so that they keep it in as a model going forward.
Old 04-07-2011, 02:35 PM   #384
nards444

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperCarEnthusiast View Post
Well I think you just made my case. Chevrolet would improving their sales and profits on the ZL1 by offering an automatic option to that of the manual. It would cost them very little to do so since it is already being used in the Cadillac CTS-V. It could increase sales at least 2 maybe up to 5 times that of the manual.

The point is to make ZL1 successful so that they keep it in as a model going forward.
I think they would improve their chances if the car was priced around 42-45. Automatic is not going to be as much as a driving force as price. Im still a firm beleiver this car could MSRP out at 42-43 if they wanted it to. Think about it different body panels(hood, fascia arent going to cost anymore than the stock ones already) suede interior not much more than leather. Your money is in the blower and LSA. suspension is going to be minorly tweaked. Even if you add 10 grand in parts car could price out at 43-44 easy. GM is going to be making a bigger profit off of these car than the 2SS
Old 04-07-2011, 04:38 PM   #385
nasa.zl1

Drives: 2011 White Camaro
I have to agree about the fat profit. You can buy three nice cars for about $50k.

I'm willing to pay for a great car but keep it below a corvette's price.
Old 04-07-2011, 05:37 PM   #386
truth411

Drives: police interceptor
If I ruled the world the ZL1 would come with a standard 6spd manuel and an optional auto.
truth411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 06:41 PM   #387
DevilKnightFalcon

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS
Send a message via AIM to DevilKnightFalcon Send a message via Yahoo to DevilKnightFalcon
Quote:
I think they would improve their chances if the car was priced around 42-45. Automatic is not going to be as much as a driving force as price. Im still a firm beleiver this car could MSRP out at 42-43 if they wanted it to. Think about it different body panels(hood, fascia arent going to cost anymore than the stock ones already) suede interior not much more than leather. Your money is in the blower and LSA. suspension is going to be minorly tweaked. Even if you add 10 grand in parts car could price out at 43-44 easy. GM is going to be making a bigger profit off of these car than the 2SS
You consider magnetic ride control to be a "minor" tweak to the suspension? You are also assuming that we know everything about this car which I can assure you we do not.

MBRP Catback/Magnaflow Resonated X/Airraid V2 CAI/Dash ABL/Interior LEDs/Custom Paint/Jet Coated American Racing LT Headers/High Flow cats/Trifecta Tune
DevilKnightFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 09:27 PM   #388
nards444

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilKnightFalcon View Post
You consider magnetic ride control to be a "minor" tweak to the suspension? You are also assuming that we know everything about this car which I can assure you we do not.
maybe so but magentic ride control, a blower dont add up to 50k. Like i said before new hoods, differnt seat covers are not big expense if any at all. There is going to be a lot larger profit margin on these cars then the SS. Which makes sense less profit on SS sell more and make lots of money. Fat profit on Zl1 sell less make ok money promote brand. It's going to be a cool car no doubt but is it 15k more cooler? I dont know.
Old 04-08-2011, 08:33 PM   #389
SuperCarEnthusiast

Quote:

I disagree on the point that price is more of a selling point then automatic. If the buyer drives an automatic; he/she will not change to an manual based on the price of the car. The automatic must be available or the buyer will walk. It is simple as that. Another example is if the buyer want a color and the dealer does not have it; the buyer will go somewhere else where that color is available. Sure the salesperson can say I will cut the price down another $500 if you buy it; since we don't have the color you want; but the buyer will just walk because the dealer does not have what the buyer is looking for - thus no sale.
Old 04-08-2011, 09:28 PM   #390
Blue Menace

Drives: 2013 WRX Sedan
Quote:
maybe so but magentic ride control, a blower dont add up to 50k. Like i said before new hoods, differnt seat covers are not big expense if any at all. There is going to be a lot larger profit margin on these cars then the SS. Which makes sense less profit on SS sell more and make lots of money. Fat profit on Zl1 sell less make ok money promote brand. It's going to be a cool car no doubt but is it 15k more cooler? I dont know.
I would like to argue this point, but I find you incomprehensible. What point are you trying to make exactly? Do you even have any intention on either 1) owning a ZL1 or 2) modding to the point where owning a ZL1 would be less cool than the mods you did on your car? There is a point at which conjecture becomes blather and simply a waste of time.
Blue Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 08:13 AM   #391
nards444

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Menace View Post
I would like to argue this point, but I find you incomprehensible. What point are you trying to make exactly? Do you even have any intention on either 1) owning a ZL1 or 2) modding to the point where owning a ZL1 would be less cool than the mods you did on your car? There is a point at which conjecture becomes blather and simply a waste of time.
wow thanks you got me on the right track now.
Old 04-10-2011, 01:44 PM   #392
DevilKnightFalcon

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS
Send a message via AIM to DevilKnightFalcon Send a message via Yahoo to DevilKnightFalcon
Quote:
Correct me if i'm wrong but as of now we also know that the ZL1 will have light weight forged wheels, carbon ceramic brakes, a much more complicated exhaust system, plus many of the components of the car are going to have to be upgraded to be able to handle the kind of horsepower this thing is putting down. The stock components in an SS are only rated at 155mph. The Z/28 will undoubtedly have parts that are rated higher and therefore are more expensive. Again keep in mind that we do not know everything about this car yet.

MBRP Catback/Magnaflow Resonated X/Airraid V2 CAI/Dash ABL/Interior LEDs/Custom Paint/Jet Coated American Racing LT Headers/High Flow cats/Trifecta Tune
DevilKnightFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote