Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 06-18-2008, 06:10 PM   #57
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Quote:
Originally Posted by nfamous209 View Post
ss already came with a lil bit better suspension then a standard Z28, i have an 02. its not that i was scared really its i felt the whole body "wobble" side to side during simple lane changes. now its gone so i'm not trippin. I was referencing stock for stock my cobalt and my camaro. my cobalt stock for stock out does my camaro in handling, and ride comfort as well. i still love both cars, 2 entirely different cars and i love both of them.
Cool. I have yet to actually ride in a Cobalt, so really...I couldn't compare..lol. Even so, all the 4th gens I've had were pretty good. The V6 was okay, but it's been a while. My 02 Z28 was pretty agile. Don't remember sway at hwy speeds. But, it's all good. Numerous possibilities and also...the fact I still have yet to ride in a Cobalt! Must be impressive if if it's more nimble than an SS! Cool deal!
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 08:01 PM   #58
nfamous209

Drives: 2002 Camaro z28
Send a message via AIM to nfamous209 Send a message via Yahoo to nfamous209
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
Cool. I have yet to actually ride in a Cobalt, so really...I couldn't compare..lol. Even so, all the 4th gens I've had were pretty good. The V6 was okay, but it's been a while. My 02 Z28 was pretty agile. Don't remember sway at hwy speeds. But, it's all good. Numerous possibilities and also...the fact I still have yet to ride in a Cobalt! Must be impressive if if it's more nimble than an SS! Cool deal!
thats the word i was looking for sway thanks. lol. yeah the brakes on the SS S/C are awsome had to test em first day i bought it as traffic came to a dead stop. and all i can say is whiplash. its been a year and i still have the seatbelt mark from when i had to stop fast. and the car doesnt have brembos like the new cobalt does. cobalt is very balanced. and very under rated in power. i can easy beat 350z on the freeway and last gen mustang gt's. car is verry fun.
nfamous209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 01:35 PM   #59
blackgloves

Drives: 1987 Iroc Z/28
any production Camaro < SS/SC Cobalt

Ive owned serveral Z28's and a 2007 SC'd Cobalt and theres no competition. My SS/SC Cobalt (sold now to my parents) is an awesome car in almost every aspect. As far as handling its the best handling car Ive ever owned. I dumped a ton of money into my 01 Z28 too and it couldn't touch that Cobalt.

As already mentioned the steering is great too in the Cobalt. GM NEVER gave us Perielli tires, a 10 inch sub in a stealth box, RACARO racing seats and 18inch wheels from the factory until.... the SC'd Cobalt came out. GM put together those Cobalts like a Vette. They didn't cut any corners.

EDIT: Im a Camaro fan to the bone. When I say Any Camaro < Cobalt thats in reference to handling
blackgloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 07:44 PM   #60
nfamous209

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackgloves View Post
any production Camaro < SS/SC Cobalt

Ive owned serveral Z28's and a 2007 SC'd Cobalt and theres no competition. My SS/SC Cobalt (sold now to my parents) is an awesome car in almost every aspect. As far as handling its the best handling car Ive ever owned. I dumped a ton of money into my 01 Z28 too and it couldn't touch that Cobalt.

As already mentioned the steering is great too in the Cobalt. GM NEVER gave us Perielli tires, a 10 inch sub in a stealth box, RACARO racing seats and 18inch wheels from the factory until.... the SC'd Cobalt came out. GM put together those Cobalts like a Vette. They didn't cut any corners.

EDIT: Im a Camaro fan to the bone. When I say Any Camaro < Cobalt thats in reference to handling
yeah the balt does handle great, i cant wait to get a set of B&G coilovers and a 1" rear sway bar for the car. then it will be even better. but i still love my camaro too, especially with the balls out power.
Old 06-20-2008, 12:25 AM   #61
blackgloves

Quote:
yeah the balt does handle great, i cant wait to get a set of B&G coilovers and a 1" rear sway bar for the car. then it will be even better. but i still love my camaro too, especially with the balls out power.
I had plans of a Stage II kit, after market wheels and possibly some exhaust. thing is I wanted something that would keep the car quiet and its almost impossible to find an exhaust (after market) that keeps a car sounding stock
Old 06-20-2008, 01:05 PM   #62
nfamous209

Quote:
I had plans of a Stage II kit, after market wheels and possibly some exhaust. thing is I wanted something that would keep the car quiet and its almost impossible to find an exhaust (after market) that keeps a car sounding stock
gmpp exhaust was good, not overly loud from what i hear. only thing i've done was add an i njen intake. and boy does the s/c come alive with that. i have a 2.9" pulley and some injectors to throw in, also a header.. waiting on getting an exhaust and belt, wanna do everything at once and dyno tune it. heard the gm stage 2 has some KR with it so im hesitant in getting it.
Old 06-20-2008, 02:17 PM   #63
blackgloves

Quote:
gmpp exhaust was good, not overly loud from what i hear. only thing i've done was add an i njen intake. and boy does the s/c come alive with that. i have a 2.9" pulley and some injectors to throw in, also a header.. waiting on getting an exhaust and belt, wanna do everything at once and dyno tune it. heard the gm stage 2 has some KR with it so im hesitant in getting it.
Oh I had forgot. I had planed on doing that same intake. they do make the belt wine scream from what I hear. I also wanted to go with the black headlights (halo) for my car (its black) my mom loves that damn thing
Old 06-20-2008, 02:36 PM   #64
nfamous209

Quote:
Oh I had forgot. I had planed on doing that same intake. they do make the belt wine scream from what I hear. I also wanted to go with the black headlights (halo) for my car (its black) my mom loves that damn thing
yeah my mom's obsessed with the car. she likes it more then my camaro.
Old 06-24-2008, 10:56 AM   #65
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
When you take your Pedderised ZETA II Camaro 175 MPH will be the new 150 MPH
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 04:04 PM   #66
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
When you take your Pedderised ZETA II Camaro 175 MPH will be the new 150 MPH
I want my camaro to do 190+ and be extermely stable. I plan to move to germany and drive super fast on the autobahn. I don't want to look up in my rear view mirror and see some benz or BMW flashing it's lights at me to get out of the way. I want to be the other way around. is this possible? lol. as long as the camaro has the power/gearing. . .
boxmonkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 08:49 PM   #67
JusticePete

The G8 rides on ZETA and the ZETA II will be a more sporting setup. My G8 is ProCharged and rides on a full Pedders eXtreme suspension. I am old enough to have owned a 426 HEMI Charger back in the day and a semi-responsible driver. I have slowed down over the years on the street -- most of the time. One of these years I'll grow up... well maybe. Anyway, with my G8 loaded with my wife and kids a a full trunk (they are all women) I found myself into triple digits on the open roads of Texas -- effortless. Had my wife not been banging my shoulder to watch my speed no one in the car would have noticed... well almost no one. I really had no intention of going that fast with my family in the car. It was a bad idea that just crept up as we drove cross country in the middle of no where. With no other cars around it was sneaky speed. There was nothing to judge it by and as the miles clocked off at 80, then 85, then 90... you know what I mean. I have had the G8 over 150 MPH on the track with my helmet and no family in the car and it was so composed it is hard to believe. How can 150 MPH feel like 80 or 90MPH?

Will you be able to drive your ZETA II Camaro at 190MPH. My guess would be yes, but can it be done safely? Things can go wrong really fast at those speeds. A tire failure is catastrophic at 190 MPH and probably at 150 MPH. Our car don't have full cages, full harnesses and so on. I really do try to respect the rules of the road and drive fast only on the track. Like most of us I occasionally have poor judgment and lapse into old bad habits.

The new Camaro will be by far the most capable GM ever built. Even the six cylinder secretary's car will have enough HP to be a serious road warrior. We just did a complete Pedders GSR suspension on a six cylinder G8. The car is AWESOME! The editor and writer were blown away by the performance. The Camaro should be no different.
Old 06-24-2008, 10:38 PM   #68
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
I'm serious about the autobahn. those AMG and BMW guys are crazy. I've driven on it in a 10 pack van doing 140 mph and those guys pass you like it's nothing. . .
boxmonkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 10:53 PM   #69
WillInThe04Ranger

Drives: 04 Ranger, 95 Camaro
Send a message via AIM to WillInThe04Ranger
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxmonkeyracing View Post
I'm serious about the autobahn. those AMG and BMW guys are crazy. I've driven on it in a 10 pack van doing 140 mph and those guys pass you like it's nothing. . .
Sad thing is when they wreck at those speeds, I have heard tale of the germans having to burry those right where they crash.
Old 06-25-2008, 12:23 PM   #70
JusticePete

There is an old race track axiom that was valid the first time it was spoken and is still valid today. Speed Kills.

While the Autobahn does have open areas with no speed limits the German's also have a safety inspection requirement. It isn't to race car standards, but it is better than nothing. Where most people go wrong in driving fast is they don't treat their daily driver like a race car when it comes to maintenance. If you are going to drive at race car speeds, then maintain your car to race car like standards. Preventative Maintenance takes on a new level of meaning when you drive into triple digits.

I won't tell you not to run flat out. Given the same opportunity I would probably be right there with you. I will tell you that if your are going to 'race' on the Autobahn to properly prepare your car and ease into those speeds. Enroll at something like Bondurant and prepare yourself just as you prepare your car.