Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Closed Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 01:05 AM   #15
MarylandSpeed
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 ZL1 & 2010 2SS/RS
Profesionalism? In a thread praising headers based on a stolen design? Come on. It's not a matter of opinion...someone stole the header design and is dumping cheap knock offs on ebay. People should know what they are buying. The only opinion part is if you think it is right to support such a practice...and I will continue to present my opinion every chance that presents itself. Just the same as people who buy them will say they are great and think they got a deal.

That being said, when this company stops ripping off other companies work, and does their own R&D I will gladly leave the issue alone. I think the only people will be upet at me for bringing up what they really are will be the ones actually buying these headers off ebay. In reality, it likely does not matter if they think I am a big meanie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post

Everyone has their own opinion...but I certainly would expect a little more professionalism from a forum sponsor, especially because you represent a company and not just an individual opinion. You have made your point SEVERAL times on here. Those of us that purchased these headers are MORE than aware that you do not like them for the reasons you listed above as well as several others listed previously in other threads. I respect your opinon, so please respect the fact that not everyone shares that same opinion and move on. Thanks
Old 09-15-2010, 01:19 AM   #16
christianmotox

Drives: ( . )( . )
I just saw the OBX's on ebay for $345 including the Cat deleted pipes, vs 900+ for just the Kooks headers, thats more than double the price. Camaro parts in general are overpriced as it is, you cant blame some one for saving $500.

Thats Just my opinion.
Old 09-15-2010, 01:20 AM   #17
MillerTime
Blowin the doors off!

Drives: A 2013 SS RS 6M SR
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarylandSpeed View Post
Profesionalism? In a thread praising headers based on a stolen design? Come on. It's not a matter of opinion...someone stole the header design and is dumping cheap knock offs on ebay. People should know what they are buying. The only opinion part is if you think it is right to support such a practice...and I will continue to present my opinion every chance that presents itself. Just the same as people who buy them will say they are great and think they got a deal.

That being said, when this company stops ripping off other companies work, and does their own R&D I will gladly leave the issue alone. I think the only people will be upet at me for bringing up what they really are will be the ones actually buying these headers off ebay. In reality, it likely does not matter if they think I am a big meanie.
Yes professionalism... The fact that you continue to argue with potential customers speaks volumes in that regard. Promote your own design and product, don't bash another product/company (weather you think it's a knock off or not)

OBX makes a great product (weather its ripped off or not has yet to be proven) and I am enjoying it on my car. I would recommend these headers to anyone else that is in the market for them. Happy modding!

2G1FS1EWXD9163847

Old 09-15-2010, 01:21 AM   #18
Entaille

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS
way to turn a blind eye to feel better about your knock off purchase.
Old 09-15-2010, 01:22 AM   #19
MillerTime
Blowin the doors off!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entaille View Post
way to turn a blind eye to feel better about your knock off purchase.
Who's turning a blind eye?

2G1FS1EWXD9163847

Old 09-15-2010, 01:25 AM   #20
Entaille

lol, what do you require as proof for it to be labeled a knock off? anyone looking at them side by side would agree the design is too similar.

OBX does not make a great product. they make a decent quality replica of a great product. obx / megan racing etc are big on the honda scene.. sad to see it here.
Old 09-15-2010, 01:32 AM   #21
MillerTime
Blowin the doors off!

Quote:
lol, what do you require as proof for it to be labeled a knock off? anyone looking at them side by side would agree the design is too similar.

OBX does not make a great product. they make a decent quality replica of a great product. obx / megan racing etc are big on the honda scene.. sad to see it here.
OHHH so it has to be bent into a twisted mass to make it different...ooh ok..

Weather the design is ripped off or not has nothing to do with the quality of the build. The welds are nearly perfect and had 0 issues with mine. That IS a quality product. Like it or not.

Since OBX products are used on hondas they are somehow inferior?

2G1FS1EWXD9163847

Old 09-15-2010, 01:37 AM   #22
Entaille

no, just because they are used on hondas does not make them inferior. being that they do not create their own products, simply replicas of existing products, makes them inferior. slice that any way you want it. there are quality honda brands too, obx is not one of them.

I am just chiming in with where they are popular and where I have heard of them. I would expect someone modding a car worth a few thousand dollars to be interested in spending less / saving more $$ and supporting knock offs - I did not expect to see people with 30k+ cars doing the same.

(stepping out of the conversation now as we have nothing to do but agree to disagree)
Old 09-15-2010, 01:38 AM   #23
MillerTime
Blowin the doors off!

http://www.bbexhaust.com/car/gen5cam...o%20header.jpg

These B & B headers looks identical to the OBX headers with the exception of being larger diameter...I know for a fact that Billy Boat's crew design and hand fabricate every one of these exhausts... knock offs? I think not...

2G1FS1EWXD9163847

Old 09-15-2010, 01:40 AM   #24
MillerTime
Blowin the doors off!

Quote:
no, just because they are used on hondas does not make them inferior. being that they do not create their own products, simply replicas of existing products, makes them inferior. slice that any way you want it. there are quality honda brands too, obx is not one of them.

I am just chiming in with where they are popular and where I have heard of them. I would expect someone modding a car worth a few thousand dollars to be interested in spending less / saving more $$ and supporting knock offs - I did not expect to see people with 30k+ cars doing the same.

(stepping out of the conversation now as we have nothing to do but agree to disagree)
Nobody has proof that they don't create their own products...sheesh people.. Since i spent 35k on this car I'm expected to bend over and pay more $$ for the same products? I think not...

2G1FS1EWXD9163847

Old 09-15-2010, 01:43 AM   #25
1up5dn

Drives: 2011 Black RS SS
I have to say I think Maryland Speed is actually being very professional and well spoken. I think more people should stand up and refuse to give money to thieves. When I worked in NY, I can't count how many times people would pull up in a van and sell laptops, stereos, etc. for a nickel on the dollar. They claimed they were "extras" that their company didn't need from a big order (yeah, right). What really offended me, was how many of my coworkers would lap them up and brag about how much they saved!

It's the same with pirated software and other things available in that country. People wonder why our economy is suffering? Hmmmm...........

Let's see some pix of those headers in 5 years.

BTW, I put genuine Kooks headers on my car.

Chris....
Old 09-15-2010, 01:48 AM   #26
kbui

Drives: 85 Vette, 07 Escalade ESV, 03 GMC,
I am not trying to argue with the Domestic producers and distributors, but hearing you guys talking about R&D on making these headers, I have to ask: how much R&D is involved in making these headers? Headers have been made over and over again for so many different applications over the last 40-50-60...years. Materials are already determined, coated steel, 304SS,409SS.....tubes sizes are pretty much known....The only R&D I can see is trying to fit the bends of these tubes against current engine layout and compartment. Anyone trying to make the headers for these C5 will eventually come to the same paths for these tubes in order to have decent fittings regardless of whether OBX copied the design or not. It's not like you people are making something that are so advanced that someone else couldn't come up with unless they copied.

I do understand you have higher wages in this country for production, but your prices for comparable equipments are just too high to be competitive. If there was a 50% difference in prices, I can see buying American to support domestic workers. We are talking a price which is 2 to 3 times higher, it makes your headers disproportionally expensive when compared to the rest of the car. I can give you an example, an slightly used or a brand new LS3 engine is between 4-6K? The after market complete exhaust system is 1.8K to 2.4K. Do you really think your exhaust system is worth 1/3 to 1/2 of a complete engine?

I can't blame these guys for seeking cheaper alternatives.

ADM Performance installed and tuned: Maggie, Stainless Works Power LTs, ADM race cai, ADM ZL1 scoop
Whiteside Customs Super Street 2 Package w/ coilovers
BC Racing Coilovers and lowered, Whiteline Bushings & Swaybars
MBRP catback exhaust, ZL1 bumper conversion, Drake billet shifter, Hurst paddles, NLP rear spoiler, OEM GFX, Vis Racing hood, ASA GT5 wheels
Old 09-15-2010, 02:06 AM   #27
christianmotox

Drives: ( . )( . )
I agree, Before the Camaro i had an FJ Cruiser, and i was looking on replacing the headers, i was looking at the JBA's that where around 400 bucs (shorties), and the OBX's where like $320, in that case its obvious you get the JBA's. but in this case we re taking about more than half the price. you can but a set and still have enough cash ($500)for a good night with you're buddies, and support single moms.
Old 09-15-2010, 02:23 AM   #28
MarylandSpeed
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 ZL1 & 2010 2SS/RS
Not even similar. The B&B's pipe routing is completely different, collector is shorter, and the overall header length is shorter. Look at the passenger side header specifically. Kooks and one OP posted have the front three primaries running side by side with the back one cutting behind them. I am willing to bet the ebay headers fit in Kooks jig..haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
http://www.bbexhaust.com/car/gen5cam...o%20header.jpg

These B & B headers looks identical to the OBX headers with the exception of being larger diameter...I know for a fact that Billy Boat's crew design and hand fabricate every one of these exhausts... knock offs? I think not...

Closed Thread