Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Closed Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 12:18 PM   #57
christianmotox

Drives: ( . )( . )
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarylandSpeed View Post
What exhausts costs over $3000? I saw someone say the prcie difference was 300%. That is not the case...I don't understand why people exaggerate.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OBX-R...Q5fAccessories

this is 349 for the headers including the Cat delete pipes, how much are the kooks?
Old 09-15-2010, 12:37 PM   #58
Hicompression
Rumbly Bumble Bee

Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
You say it's a stolen design... I say prove it.
I'm wondering why Kooks doesn't "lawyer-up" and go after OBX. OBX is an American company according to their website. Are header designs patentable? Why didn't Kooks patent their header design? All valid questions...
Old 09-15-2010, 12:39 PM   #59
klatterblast

Drives: 2010 camaro 2ssrs blk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarylandSpeed View Post
What exhausts costs over $3000? I saw someone say the prcie difference was 300%. That is not the case...I don't understand why people exaggerate.
it was me and i said my ARH w/cats and borla stingers cat back costs over $3000 together. i do have the borla x-pipe left over if you want it its only $700 thats what i paid for it does that sound about right, hell no but thats what i paid , ridiculous huh for an x-pipe , 304 ss of course its like freakin gold.

Magnuson TVS2300,ported heads,cam,Hotchkis suspension. Weld 17”s, Mickey Thompson’s.
Old 09-15-2010, 12:50 PM   #60
JDP Motorsports

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/ 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JS View Post
I know this has nothing to do with this post but its a knock off no doubt it..In the end its the customers option to buy what he wants regardless of what most people think, sometimes people do what they have to do and thats it.

Our shop sells KOOKS and other companies headers and imho they are one of the best headers money can buy and we offer them to our customers. Again its totally up to what the customer wants to spend and if he wants to bring us a set of OBX we will give an opinion (NOT A GOOD ONE) and leave it up to them.

Now here is the BIG PROBLEM I HAVE WITH SOME OF THE VENDORS ON THIS SITE AND OTHER SITES...

They work out of a small garage, they dont install and they dont pay shop keepers insurance..They then put together buyins or gp's on parts that we as a shop cant possible buy at that quantity..What happens is they then pass off the savings to people on the board and we as a REAL SHOP DOING WORK FOR 30+ YRS get hosed because they do a PM pricing or go below MAP..

We then have to deal with customers saying, "WHY IS SO AND SO CHEAPER THAN U"..

I tell them becuase they are not really a shop, just a vendor working out of there house, small rental space, they have no walkin or people who actually put the parts on..

How does this hurt our business, it does the same way someone steals a header and markets it at 400.00...ITS TOTAL BS AND HAS RUINED THE SPEED SHOP BUSINESS..

If more companies would stick to MAP or SUGGESTED PRICING we would all do better.

I hate to say that because I am an end user too, but the companies on here that do this are just as guilty..They have no overhead nor really understand cars or how to make hp or even the workings of an engine, trans and electronics.

It all nonsense, My belief is one sponsor cuts another by 10 and soon we will all be out of business including the manufactures..I have called KOOKS AND ARH many times to complain about this PM pricing BS and they seem like they wanna help but in the end they at times look the other way..

DONT THROW STONES WHEN U ARE JUST AS GUILTY AND OBX..I AM SICK OF THIS BS, ITS REALLY SAD WITH WHAT HAS HAPPENED TO THIS INDUSTRY AND GUYS LIKE US WHO REALLY RACE, TUNE AND BUILD SOME OF THE FASTEST CARS ON THE PLANET GET HOSED..

I am done, my opinion is it wont change so to potential customers just buy what makes u happy becuase everyone is quilty when it comes to being loyal..
I couldn't agree more about being a really brick and mortar shop/business. We have offices/shop/warehouse in Sandy Utah and we install every product we sell. We're also direct with most of our suppliers and that is the ONLY way we survive. I would LOVE to sell at MAP but some people can't get business based on customer service or knowledge, it is all about who has the lowest price! I've spent hours helping someone find the right set up and then they find it on Ebay and off they go... Unfortunately that is the direction we're moving in and it is sad. I know some companies are putting unilateral pricing in place and if you want a warranty your invoice better show MAP or the warranty is voided, I wish more would do the same! The Internet has changed everything and some adapt better than others.

I'm guilty of selling below MAP, I don't advertise below MAP however and I'd much rather sell at MAP. We have our building, insurance, utilities, inventory, product testing, tools, equipment, payroll and everything else. I've been in this industry for 20+ years and I've worked for some of the top manufactures. I've built 1000+ RWHP cars and we've been featured in a lot of Magazines throughout the world.

Times are tough right now and the good companies and shops will rise to the top. The guys selling out of there houses will keep cutting it down until there is ZERO profit left in this business but people always want the best price, at some point service and knowledge will prevail. I have a lot of GREAT local customers who purchase products from us and we do the installs in many cases. I wouldn't judge every forum sponsor like your post implies, I know there are some good one's out there like ADM, Jannetty Racing, East Coast Supercharging, Vengeance Racing and IPS that install everything they sell as well. They also pay to sponsor and support this forum so end users have a place to learn/socialize.

The bottom line is I feel your pain and good luck to you!

Kind regards,

Jordan Priestley
Old 09-15-2010, 12:53 PM   #61
Hawkdiver

Drives: 2010 1SS Rally yellow black stripes
Has anyone put these headers on the dyno? I am very interested in these being active duty military I dont get paid much..
Old 09-15-2010, 01:05 PM   #62
NickJRE

Drives: Nothing Fun.
I love some of the posts by the other vendors. I really don't have much to add here. Props for stepping up to the plate to say something.

I do want to defend Dynatech since I've never seen them post on this board. They do manufacturer all of there products here in the USA and have a beautiful facility and make a beautiful product.

Personally, I think Kooks/ARH/Stainless Works/Dynatech all make works of art.

Being a budget college kid a few years ago I decided to test out a "knock-off" throttle body. Let me tell you this.. it was one of the scariest rides of my life. Imagine your throttle getting stuck on the interestate. Not fun.
Old 09-15-2010, 01:07 PM   #63
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
I know this has nothing to do with this post but its a knock off no doubt it..In the end its the customers option to buy what he wants regardless of what most people think, sometimes people do what they have to do and thats it.

Our shop sells KOOKS and other companies headers and imho they are one of the best headers money can buy and we offer them to our customers. Again its totally up to what the customer wants to spend and if he wants to bring us a set of OBX we will give an opinion (NOT A GOOD ONE) and leave it up to them.

Now here is the BIG PROBLEM I HAVE WITH SOME OF THE VENDORS ON THIS SITE AND OTHER SITES...

They work out of a small garage, they dont install and they dont pay shop keepers insurance..They then put together buyins or gp's on parts that we as a shop cant possible buy at that quantity..What happens is they then pass off the savings to people on the board and we as a REAL SHOP DOING WORK FOR 30+ YRS get hosed because they do a PM pricing or go below MAP..

I tell them becuase they are not really a shop, just a vendor working out of there house, small rental space, they have no walkin or people who actually put the parts on..

How does this hurt our business, it does the same way someone steals a header and markets it at 400.00...ITS TOTAL BS AND HAS RUINED THE SPEED SHOP BUSINESS..

If more companies would stick to MAP or SUGGESTED PRICING we would all do better.

I hate to say that because I am an end user too, but the companies on here that do this are just as guilty..They have no overhead nor really understand cars or how to make hp or even the workings of an engine, trans and electronics.

It all nonsense, My belief is one sponsor cuts another by 10 and soon we will all be out of business including the manufactures..I have called KOOKS AND ARH many times to complain about this PM pricing BS and they seem like they wanna help but in the end they at times look the other way..

DONT THROW STONES WHEN U ARE JUST AS GUILTY AND OBX..I AM SICK OF THIS BS, ITS REALLY SAD WITH WHAT HAS HAPPENED TO THIS INDUSTRY AND GUYS LIKE US WHO REALLY RACE, TUNE AND BUILD SOME OF THE FASTEST CARS ON THE PLANET GET HOSED..

I am done, my opinion is it wont change so to potential customers just buy what makes u happy becuase everyone is quilty when it comes to being loyal..
Would you happen to be aiming this response at a certain vocal distributor in this thread?
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
Old 09-15-2010, 01:34 PM   #64
MarylandSpeed
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 ZL1 & 2010 2SS/RS
I think this goes both ways. For years, shops have played games with pricing. Stuff like charging retail for parts, then doing the install for free. Or selling the parts at cost, or making it back on the install. I get plenty of "at cost" price match requests that come from shops who are obviously trying to make it back on the install. What the internet has created is an instant means to price shop. In the past you went in your shop, told them what you want, and you normally payed it. Now with an afternoon on the internet, you can have 50 different price quotes.

I am gonna be honest..we don't do installs. It's just not a business I want to be in. We do work with several shops that we can send our customers to. Selling parts and installing them are very different, and a lot of businesses really struggle to do the install and parts sales thing and do both well. I would rather do one and be great at it. That being said, we are in an 8,000 sq/ft warehouse, we do have 3 lifts, a dyno (just got 3 months ago), and inventory. Not to mention the tow rig, and trailor setup we have for shows. I also have two 2010 Camaros to test parts on, and we build our own cars. All in all, I have more overhead than plenty of shops..especially with inventory considered. Because I am not charging people $100 an hour for labor..guess what...I have to be good at selling stuff. Most shops see selling stuff as a means to get install hours which is much more profitable. They want to buy one or two of a parts a month, then get bent they don't get the same price as someone who spends the time to sell the stuff in much greater volume.

Quote:

Old 09-15-2010, 01:46 PM   #65
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
This is like a Merry go round, where it stops nobody Knows.

I think there are 2 types of Customers, those who Want our Expertise, and those who don't and I accept that.

The same reason why some people Cook at home and some People Go out to a Restaurant.

I operate a Restaurant of Horsepower, When we run out of Customers that Want our Expertise, I will retire, and go Fishing in Alaska.

Ted.
Old 09-15-2010, 01:52 PM   #66
Gotthat02fire

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1ss IOM
Let me know before you retire I have a few projects that need finished!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post

I think there are 2 types of Customers, those who Want our Expertise, and those who don't and I accept that.

The same reason why some people Cook at home and some People Go out to a Restaurant.

I operate a Restaurant of Horsepower, When we run out of Customers that Want our Expertise, I will retire, and go Fishing in Alaska.

Ted.

Old 09-15-2010, 02:05 PM   #67
MarylandSpeed
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 ZL1 & 2010 2SS/RS
Since we are playing show and tell...

Reception Area

My personal workshop (yes..that is our G8 GXP)

Sales Office

New Conference Room (needs chairs)

Main warehouse (and tow truck)

Our M6 Camaro

Future Expansion

More Storage

Dyno (and A6 Camaro)

Show Setup

Last edited by MarylandSpeed; 09-15-2010 at 02:34 PM.
Old 09-15-2010, 02:06 PM   #68
Hicompression
Rumbly Bumble Bee

Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro
Quote:
Yep. I'm an eat at home, "don't drink the Koolaid" kind of guy.
Old 09-15-2010, 02:21 PM   #69
ColdCamaroSS

Drives: 1
Quote:

Ted.
Hopefully later than sooner, but I'll hook you up Ted. Lol
Old 09-15-2010, 02:22 PM   #70
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCamaroSS View Post
Hopefully later than sooner, but I'll hook you up Ted. Lol
Alaska Cool!!

Closed Thread