Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-21-2012, 09:37 PM   #1
Caddyroger

Drives: 2011 RJT Camaro LT2 RS auto shift
Do not start using 125 amp setting

Not positive where to post this.
Do not start your Camaro using the start setting on the charger. This after noon I was going for an appointment with my doctor. Went out to start the car but a dead battery. It would not even click. I go and get my trusty battery charger connected the cables and made sure the connections was ok. Turn on the charger and set to start which is 125 amps. Turned the car over and it started right up. I went to disconnect the charger but was smoke in left side of the engine. I smelled burnt wiring. I looked and did not see any damage and the car is running ok. Hopefully I did not do any damage beyond the wire getting not. May some one was watching out me this afternoon
No more using the start setting for me. I'll wait the ten for the 12 amps to charge the when It my driving done for the day put it 2 amps to finish the charge.
Old 05-21-2012, 09:43 PM   #2
Coltrane
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro
Okay thanks for sharing.
Coltrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:47 PM   #3
Caddyroger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltrane View Post
Okay thanks for sharing.
I always using the start setting to start cars with no problem. You just can not leave it connected to long but this was less the 10 seconds.
Old 05-21-2012, 09:58 PM   #4
RADAR

Drives: 2012 2SSRS/M6 SIM
125 amps!?!?

I believe mine is 2-10-50 amps.....
RADAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:10 PM   #5
Caddyroger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrando View Post
Where did you come from that you had a dead battery?
No lights no dim instrument panel lights, no engine starter click. It stared right up when I put the charger on 125 amp engine start. It starts right now. It might be the new cell phone charger I got. I'll give it a couple of days to see
Old 05-21-2012, 10:15 PM   #6
Caddyroger

Quote:
Originally Posted by nayrchris View Post
125 amps!?!?

I believe mine is 2-10-50 amps.....
Mine is about 15 years and it has 2-15-125 amps. I been using the 125 amps setting to start almost dead battery's fo a long time. With the Camaro it will take 2 to start it that way. 1 to start and 1 to disconnect the charger
Old 05-21-2012, 10:16 PM   #7
Parag

Drives: 2010 camaro 2SS LS3
if you saw smoke you caused damage, thats my electrical engineering professor's favorite saying.
Old 05-21-2012, 10:22 PM   #8
Caddyroger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parag View Post
if you saw smoke you caused damage, thats my electrical engineering professor's favorite saying.
I looked at the wiring and did not see any melted wires. I did a 50 mile trip and the car acted normally but you never I might go out in the mourning and the car is burnt to the ground.
Old 05-21-2012, 10:34 PM   #9
ss/rs-matt

Drives: 2015 ZL1
Well you charger might have ability to provide 125 amps but that doesn't mean your car will draw that kind of load. However, a dead battery can act like a dead short and possibly pull that kind of current. I would thoroughly check all your battery wiring and make sure you don't have any exposed wiring. High current in a wire will melt insulation right off, hence the smoke. Do you have headers or anything else that could of damaged some wiring?

ss/rs-matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:47 PM   #10
Caddyroger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss/rs-matt View Post
Well you charger might have ability to provide 125 amps but that doesn't mean your car will draw that kind of load. However, a dead battery can act like a dead short and possibly pull that kind of current. I would thoroughly check all your battery wiring and make sure you don't have any exposed wiring. High current in a wire will melt insulation right off, hence the smoke. Do you have headers or anything else that could of damaged some wiring?
No just a plain v6 with no engine bay mods. The only thing is a 10 gauge wire with a 20 a 10 amp fuse from the engine fuse box to the center console for my aux outlets and my radio. I also have a oil pressure gauge wire going to the sending unit at the oil filter. From I have seen their no melted wire insulation. I might got when it started to melt. I'll check it again tomorrow if it not raining.

Last edited by Caddyroger; 05-22-2012 at 01:35 PM.
Caddyroger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 11:00 PM   #11
ss/rs-matt

Your probably ok but its strange that your battery was dead. That makes me think something isn't right. A partial short can drain a battery, or it could be the wiring you added. A battery doesn't go dead for no reason, unless its really old but your sig says you have an 11.

Old 05-21-2012, 11:06 PM   #12
Caddyroger

Quote:
Your probably ok but its strange that your battery was dead. That makes me think something isn't right. A partial short can drain a battery, or it could be the wiring you added. A battery doesn't go dead for no reason, unless its really old but your sig says you have an 11.
The only thing I can think of except for a partial short is the new cell phone charger. I got last week. The Car was not started for 3 days. Yes it is a 2011, I just got in May of last year.
Old 05-21-2012, 11:14 PM   #13
ss/rs-matt

Cell charger could do it but i don't think the 12vdc outlets are on unless the key is in the on position. If it happens again you should have the battery tested, i think auto zone does it for free.

Old 05-21-2012, 11:21 PM   #14
Caddyroger

Quote:
Cell charger could do it but i don't think the 12vdc outlets are on unless the key is in the on position. If it happens again you should have the battery tested, i think auto zone does it for free.

I have the aux outputs connected directly to the battery so they do not turn off. I had my cars set up for over 6 years with out any trouble starting.