Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 09-04-2009, 07:13 AM   #1
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Ok, looks like maybe we have some interest here. How exactly are these cars shifting as far as starting gear, shift points, benefits etc...............
Old 09-04-2009, 07:37 AM   #2
Edrock

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
dang it. wait... when you put it into M, did you make sure you put it into 1st? jw.
...because if he didn't, he would be starting off in 2nd gear, right? Doesn't he have to make sure to paddle down into 1st when using the "M" gear shift selection?
Old 09-04-2009, 07:41 AM   #3
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edrock View Post
...because if he didn't, he would be starting off in 2nd gear, right? Doesn't he have to make sure to paddle down into 1st when using the "M" gear shift selection?
No... when you put it in M it takes off in 1st (every time) whether you use paddles or not.
Old 09-04-2009, 08:29 AM   #4
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
thats what I thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
No... when you put it in M it takes off in 1st (every time) whether you use paddles or not.

I have heard both versions.
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 09:12 AM   #5
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
What mlee said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
Correct.

Quote:
I have heard both versions.
I can gaurantee you our version is correct. Personaly, I don't think this car starts off in second gear at all, no matter how you position it. My fastest times have been in 'D'

Not a hell of a lot faster but NEVER slower.
Old 09-04-2009, 09:24 AM   #6
edog

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IOM
In my 2SS when I put it in M it starts in 2nd gear until you tap the shifter down to 1st. I am required to tap it down each time. Are you sure you are correct on this?

The manual states this as well, and if you put it in M without touching the tap shifters it will act as if it is in D, by shifting on it's own. Safety measures built in.
Update...Build in process, Forged Rods, Pistons and rings, Johnson Lifters, NOVI1500 ECS SC, 13lb boost or more, LS3 Conversion 114/228/241 COMP CAM, Frostbite 4 row Aluminum radiator, 6L80 built, Circle D 6L80 PRO SERIES MULTI 258MM 2D, Stock 3.45 gears, 1-7/8 American Racing Headers w/HF cat, X-Pipe, Lingenfelter dual fuel pump, E-85 flex sensor, ATI super damper pulley, Ported TB, 160 therm, Trans cooler, Pedder's sways/end links/sub frame bushings, BMR trailing arms & toe rods, Coil overs. HP/TQ pending
edog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 09:38 AM   #7
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edog View Post
In my 2SS when I put it in M it starts in 2nd gear until you tap the shifter down to 1st. I am required to tap it down each time. Are you sure you are correct on this?

The manual states this as well, and if you put it in M without touching the tap shifters it will act as if it is in D, by shifting on it's own. Safety measures built in.
Name:  huh.gif
Views: 1383
Size:  322 Bytes Can't be.

edog, Try doing a brake stand in 'D' and you'll spin the tires. Shift into 'M' and put it in first gear and do a brake stand and you'll spin the tires. Shift it into 2nd gear and do a brake stand and you'll bog out.

This car starts in first gear allways, unless you manualy put it in 2nd.
Old 09-04-2009, 09:44 AM   #8
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by irpq11 View Post
I can gaurantee you our version is correct. Personaly, I don't think this car starts off in second gear at all, no matter how you position it. My fastest times have been in 'D'

Not a hell of a lot faster but NEVER slower.
good info to know. cus I know when the auto vettes came out, they would go into 2nd in "m"
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 09:53 AM   #9
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
good info to know. cus I know when the auto vettes came out, they would go into 2nd in "m"
Hmmmmm.... I was just on the phone with Scott (Sherman) and he was sitting in his car so he went through the motions with me. When he shifted into 'M' and hit the 'up' side of the shifters, it went to 2nd gear. He shifted back into 'P' and then back to 'M' and shifted 'down' and it just stayed in first which would lead you to beleive that it was allready in first gear. Now maybe the first 'shift' does NOTHING but put the car in full manual mode but then the car would have stayed in 2nd when he hit the 'down' side, but the test I gave above is accurate. Unless our cars are somehow different, which I can't imagine.

I'd sure like to get to the bottom of this.

Someone told me that the tranny will start in second when accellerating slowly but go to first when under a hard accelleration. I can't see that. Like I said, I don't even put the car in 'M' because unless you're shifting it yourself, I don't see the point.
Old 09-04-2009, 09:53 AM   #10
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Quote:

I Double Guarantee you it starts off in 1st M=Sport Mode and shift points are different than D.

The reason you see 1st when tapping down in M is that it is already in 1st and is just displaying that fact since you now put yourself in tap shift mode. When you right tap it will show 2nd because you just changed it from 1st to 2nd and the display is there for tap shift.
Old 09-04-2009, 09:59 AM   #11
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Another thing I read (doesn't mean it's true) is that you can tune out A6 transmission differently in D versus M. So you could have normal smooth street shifting in D and chirp the tires when driving in M.

This would be very appealing to me... Wish AFM could be done this way too.
Old 09-04-2009, 10:01 AM   #12
HDDAN

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS 2007 HD FLSTC
Quote:

No, when you put it into "M" it starts in first. I tested this by going 1000 rpm in "D", "M" and M1 and M2 and checking the MPH. The confusion is that if you tap it into tapshift and stop from a higher gear it will force you back to second so that you do not start in 3rd, 4th, 5th or 6th and will let you know that you did this by starting in 2nd. The computer will only over ride you two times. Once is if you try to downshift into a blown engine, the other is if you try to start in a higher gear because you didn't downshift in the tap mode. If it started in 2nd, how would we be able to use the automatic modes?
HDDAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 10:05 AM   #13
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDDAN View Post
No, when you put it into "M" it starts in first. I tested this by going 1000 rpm in "D", "M" and M1 and M2 and checking the MPH. The confusion is that if you tap it into tapshift and stop from a higher gear it will force you back to second so that you do not start in 3rd, 4th, 5th or 6th and will let you know that you did this by starting in 2nd. The computer will only over ride you two times. Once is if you try to downshift into a blown engine, the other is if you try to start in a higher gear because you didn't downshift in the tap mode. If it started in 2nd, how would we be able to use the automatic modes?
Once you are in tap shift mode and slow down from a higher hear it automatically goes to 2nd so the engine will keep running...

My comments are related to not using tap shift at all. M starts out in 1st and D starts out in 2nd... Period!
Old 09-04-2009, 10:06 AM   #14
PQ
Booooosted.

This is a topic that I've tried to start but not much interest.

Bottom line is my car starts in 1st gear no matter how I select it.