Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Bigwormgraphix

Old 09-24-2020, 07:06 PM   #1
Arynthian

Drives: White 2017 1SS
I have yet to find an answer, little help!

TLDR: did muffler delete it vibrates things and want deeper sound with aftermarket mufflers going back on.

I have a 2017 camaro ss a8 and I did a muffler delete and got 4 inch tips installed well it definitely increased the sound... BUT i think im going to put after market mufflers on because it vibrates the pillars and trunk etc ANYWAY. Ive been leaning to flowmasters but im not sure what would suit best, i want a deeper sound but still loud where I can hear it in the cabin. Would borla do this better? Should I just get a J-pipe installed with no muffler, im going tomorrow to get it done and any info would be appreciated!
Arynthian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 07:27 PM   #2
Joshinator99

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arynthian View Post
TLDR: did muffler delete it vibrates things and want deeper sound with aftermarket mufflers going back on.

I have a 2017 camaro ss a8 and I did a muffler delete and got 4 inch tips installed well it definitely increased the sound... BUT i think im going to put after market mufflers on because it vibrates the pillars and trunk etc ANYWAY. Ive been leaning to flowmasters but im not sure what would suit best, i want a deeper sound but still loud where I can hear it in the cabin. Would borla do this better? Should I just get a J-pipe installed with no muffler, im going tomorrow to get it done and any info would be appreciated!
AWE Touring. Don’t let the “Touring” name fool you, it’s not quiet. It’s mild when you’re light on the throttle, great sounding cruise & midrange, and absolutely thunders at WOT (and cold start lol).
Old 09-25-2020, 05:58 AM   #3
Darth Martel
Darth Martel

Drives: Black 1SS with 20% tinted windows
I can only tell you what I have experience with. I've got the full Stainless Works exhaust package. That's headers to the tailpipes. No cats. The new cam I put in helps a lot too but, my car sounds mean and angry. But, it's not overly obnoxious at idle, mostly because I got the smooth idle cam.
2016 Black 1SS w/ MRC, low-gloss black wheels, auto trans. Self-created custom Dark Knight Edition accents. Rotofab CAI with dry filter and sound tube delete, PRAY ported intake manifold and throttle body, Texas Speed cam, Stainless Works headers and exhaust, Skid Mark garage E85 kit, JMS fuel pump voltage booster, Circle D torque converter. Custom E85/mod tune by Jannetty Racing.
Darth Martel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 06:24 AM   #4
Arynthian

I do appreciate the info, I dont think im quite in a position to spend the money on a full catback although I know it will sound great! I'm mainly looking for smaller cheaper things for now until this covid crisis can go pass and i get a pay raise at work.
Old 09-25-2020, 06:30 AM   #5
Darth Martel
Darth Martel

Drives: Black 1SS with 20% tinted windows
yeah man, I totally get it. You an essential worker too? I've particularly enjoyed being an essential worker during all this and watching the unemployed get extra money than what they would normally make while I get the same pay while working through a pandemic. But, hey, I got a tshirt from my employer so... yeah
2016 Black 1SS w/ MRC, low-gloss black wheels, auto trans. Self-created custom Dark Knight Edition accents. Rotofab CAI with dry filter and sound tube delete, PRAY ported intake manifold and throttle body, Texas Speed cam, Stainless Works headers and exhaust, Skid Mark garage E85 kit, JMS fuel pump voltage booster, Circle D torque converter. Custom E85/mod tune by Jannetty Racing.
Darth Martel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 07:30 AM   #6
Arynthian

Yeah im an essential, loved watching my brother collect more than me while I dragged my ass to work at 5am and my company just gave me a mask that says "I am essential"

If it sheds some light on the exhaust situation I am leaning towards getting long tube headers early next year!
Old 09-25-2020, 10:51 AM   #7
supersportss

Drives: 2019 SS
The Borla S type sounds amazing. 800 bucks for the axel back
supersportss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 11:04 AM   #8
Arynthian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersportss View Post
The Borla S type sounds amazing. 800 bucks for the axel back
Does it sound that good? I've heard clip online and its so difficult to actually tell through a video. Is it a deeper sound not as raspy? The place im going to today deals with borla so I may get borla stype mufflers on
Old 09-25-2020, 01:15 PM   #9
97cavy22

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
I wanted a deeper, classic tone, little louder than stock.....If I didn't want NPP function- I would have went AWE touring. Since I wanted to keep that, I felt the flowmaster and Borla S-Types sounded the best. I choose Flowmaster because the S-type seems to be not much louder than stock and wasn't quite as deep. Here are my pros/cons after a few weeks with the Flowmaster NPP setup. Pros: sounds incredible in track mode- very deep and smooth- cheaper than other NPP systems- pretty loud in track mode and pretty quiet in stealth. Con: the valves don't seal well. If you are in stealth mode with them closed, outside the car you can hear a hiss/rattle. Seems to be a common issue. I only close the valves when I'm coming down my street, so it's really not a big deal. It gets quiet which is the main thing.
97cavy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 01:31 PM   #10
WhitesnakeSS

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS
You want the classic deeper tone then it's without a doubt AWE touring is what ya want. Love that sound....All day any day and twice on Sunday.��
WhitesnakeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 02:14 PM   #11
RyanR623

Drives: SS A8, NPP, Red Hot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arynthian View Post

I have a muffler delete and my pillars and trunk doesn't vibrate? You sure it's not something loose?
RyanR623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 02:42 PM   #12
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
I am not sure if the 2019-2020s have a louder exhaust, but definitely a louder intake sound.

My stock NPP exhaust is LOUD compared to my NPP '16 ss and ZL1. Or am I imagining things? They like it at Atco.
Old 09-26-2020, 06:15 PM   #13
Arynthian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanR623 View Post
I have a muffler delete and my pillars and trunk doesn't vibrate? You sure it's not something loose?
It may be something a little loose im not sure but low rpms in 8th droned like hell and something in the trunk was rattling and sounded like my a-pillar.

I went and had mufflers put on! For the time right now they are temporary til I can probably purchase a AWE or long tube headers. I went with a muffler called "Carnage" a guy around here makes it and it actually sounds pretty deep and nice inside!