Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 05-23-2015, 07:02 PM   #2017
caper

Drives: 2010 IOM 2ss/RS
I will critique your bench form lol. your grip is wide (which is fine - its a personal thing) but it may be stopping you from tucking your elbows a bit more. your bar path looks fine from what I see but I don't see much leg drive. benching is NOT a comfortable position. dig your traps into the bench, pull your shoulder blades down and in, arch your back and have your butt skimming the bench. your body should be like a coil that's tight. a lot of heavy benchers have their feet UNDER them, not in front. this can help with the arch as well as keeping your knee lower than your hip, so that when you leg drive you don't lift your ass. lower the weight down and leg drive it out of the hole. after a heavy bench day my quads and calves are as sore as the rest of me. playing around with how you set up under the bar, hand width, and how you drive it up will help you possibly find a few more lbs on your bench.
Turbonetics running 8lbs boost at 700rwhp tuned by Hi Rev, installed by K&M w/cat-muffler delete, ACS splitter, Fesler GFX, MPD1 spoiler, Custom painted Rally stripes, Cordon CR1 wheels 275/315s, Hotchkiss comp sways and end links, Barton shifter
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 07:31 AM   #2018
joelster

Drives: '94 Z28+ '15 Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mydivorcegift View Post
Only thing about your form is try to dial in is keeping your elbows tucked tightly. This is the only thing that I saw that's hit and miss. And your lower body setup is good...legs spread, out in front of you but are you actually driving with your legs?

One of the fastest ways you could increase your bench is lower the weight down faster and push it up faster.

Buy some mini bands and train with them for a while.
Quote:
Originally Posted by caper View Post
I will critique your bench form lol. your grip is wide (which is fine - its a personal thing) but it may be stopping you from tucking your elbows a bit more. your bar path looks fine from what I see but I don't see much leg drive. benching is NOT a comfortable position. dig your traps into the bench, pull your shoulder blades down and in, arch your back and have your butt skimming the bench. your body should be like a coil that's tight. a lot of heavy benchers have their feet UNDER them, not in front. this can help with the arch as well as keeping your knee lower than your hip, so that when you leg drive you don't lift your ass. lower the weight down and leg drive it out of the hole. after a heavy bench day my quads and calves are as sore as the rest of me. playing around with how you set up under the bar, hand width, and how you drive it up will help you possibly find a few more lbs on your bench.
My shoulders are messed from separating both of them many years ago. I've been trying to get my grip a little narrower, but it hurts a little more. I've been using Tiger Balm, and Caprizal (sp?), and it helps a bit. I can't get my elbows in with my grip out as wide as it is. It's the most comfortable position for me right now. I will try to change up my feet position though. Feet positioning is something I've never messed with. I used to do 315 for 8 and maxed at 385 at 207 lbs. But those days are long gone. I'd settle for a 315 for 4 and a max around 350.

I do appreciate the critiques guys!
1979 Y84 Trans Am
1986 IROC-Z
joelster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 11:35 AM   #2019
Mydivorcegift
Future Mopar Owner

Drives: 2011, 2SS/RS, Synergy
Quote:
Originally Posted by caper View Post
Amen to that.

I use to bench, many years ago, with my feet tucked under. I changed to out in front. I know there are many big benchers that tuck their feet, there's a lot of big benchers that bench with their feet out in front.

I find that I get much more leg drive that actually translates into bar movement with my feet out in front. If you think about the physics of both ways, and power application and transfer, IMHO there is no way you can get more leg drive with your feet tucked.

And Joelster...regarding tucking your elbows....grip width doesn't have anything to do with it. To prove this you don't even have to go to the gym. As you are reading this act like you are lowering the bar with your hands 6-10" apart and look at what your elbows do. They will "V" out.

You can use a closer grip as a crutch and it MAY help some but ultimately you need to learn to lock your arms into your back/shoulder blades.

2011 Camaro SS/RS Synergy-1 of 255-Sold
You will be missed but you are in good hands!

2019 Challenger Hellcat
B5, Redeye, Widebody
Mydivorcegift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 11:39 AM   #2020
stt816

Drives: 2012 Black 2SS/RS M6
hey guys forgot to post this from my meet (missed my third bench, cant find the video)

but, 336 squat, 226 (i think lol) bench, went for 235 which i've got in the gym before but missed for some reason, and 480 deadlift

Pfadt Race Engineering 1.25" Lowering Springs| Pfadt Spec Performance Street Alignment|ZL1 Front Bumper Conversion|ZL1 20x9 Rims|Pirelli P Zero All Season Plus 275/40R20Y Square Setup||Footwell Lighting|G2 Gold Painted Brake Calipers
Stainless Power Long Tube Headers|Cold Air Inductions Cold Air Intake|VMAX CNC Spiral Ported Throttle Body|Stainless Works Retro Chambered Catback| Vitesse Throttle Controller
--Jannetty Racing Enterprises Dyno Tuned|408 RWHP
stt816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 05:15 PM   #2021
joelster

I'd like to see a video explaining how this "leg drive" works for benching. I've heard it mentioned before but I just can't visualize it in my head.
1979 Y84 Trans Am
1986 IROC-Z
Old 05-25-2015, 10:37 AM   #2022
Mydivorcegift
Future Mopar Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelster View Post
I'd like to see a video explaining how this "leg drive" works for benching. I've heard it mentioned before but I just can't visualize it in my head.
Here is a video showing form with feet tucked under....

This is a video with feet out in front.

I'll see if I can find better later. Just busy this morning.

2019 Challenger Hellcat
B5, Redeye, Widebody
Old 05-25-2015, 10:42 AM   #2023
Mydivorcegift
Future Mopar Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by stt816 View Post
hey guys forgot to post this from my meet (missed my third bench, cant find the video)

but, 336 squat, 226 (i think lol) bench, went for 235 which i've got in the gym before but missed for some reason, and 480 deadlift

You had a great meet Steve!

2019 Challenger Hellcat
B5, Redeye, Widebody
Old 05-25-2015, 01:46 PM   #2024
CFD

Drives: 2SS/RS L99 BLACK
Hi all.

Haven't been in here for a while. I was out of the gym for a while, blew out a bicep tendon, Just getting back into it but I'm bummed, At age 60 getting back to where I was is going to take a bit but I'll get there.

Good to see everyone still at it.
CFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 11:50 AM   #2025
Mydivorcegift
Future Mopar Owner

Yesterday our WOD was in honor of Michael Murphy....so I sucked it up and did it. I challenge anyone reading the thread to do it. It is an ass kicker.

Took me 1:14....Monique finished in a little over 45 mins....

2019 Challenger Hellcat
B5, Redeye, Widebody
Old 05-28-2015, 08:53 AM   #2026
caper

Drives: 2010 IOM 2ss/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mydivorcegift View Post
Here is a video showing form with feet tucked under....

This is a video with feet out in front.

I'll see if I can find better later. Just busy this morning.
even with his feet in front, you can see his knees are well below his hips. I am guessing he is a shorter guy. ive done out front, and ive done tucked, and ive been in between. Adrian Larsen cant use any leg drive and still (until recently ) had the 220 world bench record - which is pretty crazy. my friend Leroy walker - ive benched with him plenty. I know he says he uses leg drive, but I just cant see it. and he is one of the strongest raw benchers in the world. also when looking for vids, try to watch raw lifters and not shirted to get a better idea of technique. some things are the same, others aren't.

you can see here garrett griffen , feet slightly tucked under but youll see they are planted very firmly! and you can see them shaking as he is pressing, and just as hes racking his feet move a bit - you can kinda see then how much pressure he was pushing through them. he is a 220lb class guy btw. sometimes cuts to 198lb class.

Turbonetics running 8lbs boost at 700rwhp tuned by Hi Rev, installed by K&M w/cat-muffler delete, ACS splitter, Fesler GFX, MPD1 spoiler, Custom painted Rally stripes, Cordon CR1 wheels 275/315s, Hotchkiss comp sways and end links, Barton shifter
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 01:34 PM   #2027
joelster

Got my girl into benching. She just did a PR of 120 at bw of 113.

State record for her age/weight is 123.
1979 Y84 Trans Am
1986 IROC-Z
Old 06-01-2015, 06:18 AM   #2028
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Sharkskin
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelster View Post
Got my girl into benching. She just did a PR of 120 at bw of 113.

State record for her age/weight is 123.
that was easy for her, wow, great job.
hrpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 12:59 PM   #2029
Mydivorcegift
Future Mopar Owner

Bump.

So I had never, ever done front squats before I started CF. Started with the bar in Jan.

April I worked up to 275. Well yesterdays workout called for a front squat max. I went up to 325. It wasn't difficult. Still a lot left in the tank.

What I struggle with most is wrist flexibility and holding the weight across my shoulders with the way you hold it in CF.

Would like to get 405 by next year.

2019 Challenger Hellcat
B5, Redeye, Widebody
Old 06-10-2015, 01:53 PM   #2030
NTENSITY

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS 1LE Package
Nice job! That's some serious weight for a front squat! I own a small boot camp studio, love to see people making progress and making great gains! Very motivational!
NTENSITY is offline   Reply With Quote