Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 05-06-2024, 11:47 AM   #1
Unaf-Ford-able

Drives: 2010 Synergy Camaro
2014 SS stock rear wheels all the way around?

Thinking of going squared with my 2010 V6 car, as two full sets of 2014 SS wheels have shown up locally for dirt freaking cheap, and I'd like to try this car out with a set of 275/40-20's all the way around.

What happens if I run a set of the stock 9" SS rear wheels up front? Do I need spacers?

Thank you for your patience.
Unaf-Ford-able is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2024, 08:37 AM   #2
KillboyPowerhead

Drives: 2015 Z/22
Fits just fine; I've been running rear wheels up front for a few years now, 275/40 tires, also lowered a little over an inch. No spacers.
Overkill/Self Tuned; Mace Camshafts; K&N Typhoon Cold Air Intake; Ported 80mm Throttle Body/Intake Manifolds/Manifold Spacer; Solo Performance High-Flow Cats, Cat-back Exhaust; Vitesse Motorsports Throttle Controller; Elite Engineering E2 Catch Can; BC Racing BR Coilovers; JPSS Delrin Radius Rod Bushing Inserts, Sway Bars; Pegasus Aluminum Rear Cradle Bushings, Camber/Caster Plates; Z/28 Toe Links, Trailing Arms, Upper Control Arm Bushings, Rear Shock Mounts
KillboyPowerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2024, 10:55 AM   #3
Unaf-Ford-able

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillboyPowerhead View Post
Fits just fine; I've been running rear wheels up front for a few years now, 275/40 tires, also lowered a little over an inch. No spacers.
Thank you.
Old 05-09-2024, 11:21 AM   #4
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS SGM
That's a great combination - going to a square setup is full of upsides. It kills most of the understeer bias in the chassis, and it gives you the ability to rotate tires. I ran 275/40/20 square for years - big fan.
GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Got a question about a GPI product? Feel free to shoot me a message!
acammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2024, 05:38 PM   #5
Unaf-Ford-able

Quote:
Originally Posted by acammer View Post
That's a great combination - going to a square setup is full of upsides. It kills most of the understeer bias in the chassis, and it gives you the ability to rotate tires. I ran 275/40/20 square for years - big fan.
I've already got a set of 8.5"/10" somewhat-lightweight aftermarket 20" wheels for this car, but I already know that these cars need decent tires up front, and the widest I might be able to get away with would be a 255/40, and oddly enough, a Michelin in that size is ridiculously priced.

I'm simply trying to start off with a basic, neutral setup and work my way up from there. Given the increasingly insane wheel prices out there (I typically worked with 17" or 18" wheels before landing this Camaro) for anything of fairly decent quality in a 20x9 and up, I thought I'd just try out that wheel size in a stocker on both ends and see how the car behaves. I thought about trying a 19" wheel (there are some fascinating wheels on sale right now in a 19"), but the offsets look ridiculous (almost as if the 5th gen wasn't designed for a 19" wheel), so I thought I would stick with 20's.
Old 05-10-2024, 07:01 AM   #6
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS SGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unaf-Ford-able View Post
I've already got a set of 8.5"/10" somewhat-lightweight aftermarket 20" wheels for this car, but I already know that these cars need decent tires up front, and the widest I might be able to get away with would be a 255/40, and oddly enough, a Michelin in that size is ridiculously priced.

I'm simply trying to start off with a basic, neutral setup and work my way up from there. Given the increasingly insane wheel prices out there (I typically worked with 17" or 18" wheels before landing this Camaro) for anything of fairly decent quality in a 20x9 and up, I thought I'd just try out that wheel size in a stocker on both ends and see how the car behaves. I thought about trying a 19" wheel (there are some fascinating wheels on sale right now in a 19"), but the offsets look ridiculous (almost as if the 5th gen wasn't designed for a 19" wheel), so I thought I would stick with 20's.
The factory rears on the front fo the square 20x9 - 275/40R20 is a great budget setup that makes a big move in the right direction on chassis balance. I think you'll like it.
GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Got a question about a GPI product? Feel free to shoot me a message!
acammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 07:34 AM   #7
Unaf-Ford-able

Quote:
Originally Posted by acammer View Post
The factory rears on the front fo the square 20x9 - 275/40R20 is a great budget setup that makes a big move in the right direction on chassis balance. I think you'll like it.
Thank you.